Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises Active cruisers unite!

Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default The Next Cruise Fitness Plan

I had several fitness goals before my Explorer of the Seas cruise in March. They were:

-go to gym at least 4-5 times (9-day cruise)
-avoid heavy carbs like bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.
-Have a big salad FIRST before sampling the other items at the buffet or dining room
-avoid elevators as much as possible and use the stairs
-don't go overboard on desserts
-don't go overboard on alcohol

The conundrum is that I wanted to have a pretty-healthy cruise but at the same time I was on vacation and I wanted to enjoy myself. So I needed to find that right balance. I knew I was going to put on a few pounds but I just wanted to limit the amount that I put on.

GYM
I passed this test with flying colors, going 6 times on the trip (an all-time high for me). I stuck to cardio for the most part to burn off those extra cruise calories.

CARBS
Another win for me (if you are grading this pass/fail). I knew I would have some late night pizza and sandwiches in the Cafe Promenade but I didn't overdo it like I have on previous cruises. I stayed away from the pre-dinner rolls and any potatoes, rice, etc.

SALAD FIRST!
Fail, absolute fail. On the days when we went to the windjammer buffet before going to the pool or beach I wanted to fill up on a big salad first and then sample some of the other food but I didn't. I was lazy and went right for the good stuff.

STAIRS
This one is usually an easy win for me and it was again on this trip. When I am walking by myself I always take the stairs however sometimes when my GF is walking with me her asthma starts to bother her so we elect to take the elevator.

DESSERTS
Another fail. I ate way too many sweets and this was one that I thought I would do very well at.

ALCOHOL
Annnndd another fail. I don't drink much at home, usually only on Sundays during the NFL season and some other random dinners or get togethers, but not consistently. And when I do drink it is usually my beer of choice: Corona Light. Unfortunately Royal Caribbean only carries Corona and not Corona Light so I chose the regular Corona throughout the week instead of other light beers. I used to drink grey goose and soda with a lime but vodka gives me terrible heartburn. And I do not like any other hard alcohol.

Even with going to the gym six times I still managed to gain 7 lbs. on the trip. That's the bad news. The good news is that I lost it all (and the swollen ankles!) in about a week or so after I returned home and got back to my healthy lifestyle.

So for my next cruise (August 31st) my goal will be to:
-Go to gym 4-5 times (7 day cruise).
-Have sweets no more than once a day. And if I do decide to grab a cookie at the Cafe Promenade or windjammer, take ONE and not 3-4.
-Do exactly what I did with carbs & stairs on the last cruise
-SALAD FIRST. Enough said. This needs to be done.
-Light beer or vodka & soda when I do decide to drink. This will be the toughest since I love Corona.

Any thoughts/tips? I would love to hear other people's cruise fitness goals.
EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 2-MAR-14
OASIS OF THE SEAS 31-AUG-13 - My Review w/ Pics
EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 15-MAR-13
ALLURE OF THE SEAS 9-SEP-12
EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 9-MAR-12
OASIS OF THE SEAS 3-SEP-11
NORWEGIAN GEM (CTN) 11-FEB-11
FREEDOM OF THE SEAS 17-OCT-10
FREEDOM OF THE SEAS 27-SEP-09
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 13-SEP-08
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 22-SEP-07
NORWEGIAN DAWN 19-AUG-06
S/S NORWAY 28-MAR-98
M/S SUNWARD II 1982

Last edited by Yorkvillain; June 2nd, 2014 at 12:13 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 15th, 2014, 02:54 AM
50,000+ Club

My goal is always very simple and that is to leave the cruise at the same weight that I boarded the cruise at.

Knowing I will eat more on the cruise I increase my exercise on the ship and in port. On the ship I do various cardio exercises and off the ship more walking. Also, I don't use elevators on the ship and walk the steps.

I try to eat healthy and there are many excellent choices and I avoid the buffets. At the same time I want to enjoy so I will have some items with more calories but the key is moderation and again exercise.

Keith

Old June 28th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

We do a running cruise...Run the A1A Marathon in Ft. Lauderdale then board the ship and run at each port...Keeps the weight off and we're runnin' with like minded people like us.