Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 28th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bennett Scenic Journey - Tours other than Chilkoot?

Hello! Does anyone know if any other tour companies offer the Bennett Scenic Journey in Skagway other than Chilkoot? They are booked up for our day in port. It looks like we can take a similar trip through the White Pass rail line directly but we would have to get to the train station ourselves. Has anyone done this? Or can anyone recommend another tour company? We are not interested in renting a car.

Thank you in advance!

Past Cruises:
April 2011 - Disney Wonder - Mexican Riviera
April 2013 - Norweigan Spirit - Mediterranean

Old July 28th, 2014, 01:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Did you look on the town web site? There's a list of vendors for various activities.
www.skagway.com

Old July 28th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaves View Post
Did you look on the town web site? There's a list of vendors for various activities.
www.skagway.com
I did, and I don't seem to see anything exactly like what Chilkoot offers but thank you for sharing the link!

Past Cruises:

Old July 28th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

I can't remember if Dyea Dave does a similar Bennett Scenic Adventure or not. You might check them out. I remember comparing them to Chilkoot and pretty much the only difference (at least for our excursion) was that Dyea Dave didn't include the price of the train ticket in their excursion price. You had to purchase that at the train station.

CountdownClockCodes.com

Celebrity Millennium 06/13 (50th Birthday and first back to back two week vacation ever in Alaska)

Adventure of the Seas 04/10 (25th Anniversary and first one for the kids Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Constellation 03/05 (20th Wedding Anniversary Cruise Southern Caribbean)
Crown Jewel 09/93 (get away from the boss part 2 Western Caribbean)
Crown Princess 11/91 (get away from the boss cruise Eastern Caribbean)

Old July 28th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemissreb View Post
I can't remember if Dyea Dave does a similar Bennett Scenic Adventure or not. You might check them out. I remember comparing them to Chilkoot and pretty much the only difference (at least for our excursion) was that Dyea Dave didn't include the price of the train ticket in their excursion price. You had to purchase that at the train station.
It doesn't seem like Dyea Dave has the exact same offering (with lunch at the Bennett station house) but thank you for the suggestion!

Past Cruises:

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 28th, 2014, 06:06 PM
5,000+ Club

If there's a cancellation list, go for it. People's plans change ... they might cancel the cruise, take a different excursion. Even the morning of, someone could change their plans.

Old July 28th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think I found a similar tour with Skagway Shore Tours (via the Skagway website, thank you Mapleleaves!), but I can't seem to find ANY reviews about this company here or on other travel sites, which makes me a little nervous. Has anyone used them?

http://skagwayshoretours.com/tour/be...cenic-journey/

Past Cruises:

Last edited by budgetfairytale; July 28th, 2014 at 06:46 PM.

Old July 28th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaves View Post
If there's a cancellation list, go for it. People's plans change ... they might cancel the cruise, take a different excursion. Even the morning of, someone could change their plans.
We would much rather nail down our itinerary before we sail, but thank you for the tip!

Past Cruises:

Old July 30th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Some facts that are missing. ALL Lake Bennett train trips, INCLUDE the meal. The train stops at Lake Bennett, everyone gets off the train, go eat and have some time for a walk around. You can NOT book this train trip, with the White Pass, UNLESS, you also have the road trip lined up. This train is ONE way, so you have to have another vendor for the road.

I used Dyea Dave for a southbound train trip a few weeks ago.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old July 30th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetfairytale View Post
I think I found a similar tour with Skagway Shore Tours (via the Skagway website, thank you Mapleleaves!), but I can't seem to find ANY reviews about this company here or on other travel sites, which makes me a little nervous. Has anyone used them?

This is a booking agent and not any vendor running the tour.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Last edited by Budget Queen; July 30th, 2014 at 12:17 AM.

Old July 30th, 2014, 01:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

When I was on this tour in 12 with Chilkoot there were three train cars - two were for Princess tour pax, the third was for the independent tours like Chilkoot. That day Chilkoot had 5 of us and there were another 4 from another company and 2 that should have been on the Princess cars.

Chilkoot can handle about 12-14 pax depending on how full they want to make the bus.

I believe that the trip when booked with the RR will also include transport back - I am not sure who they use. I know that Princess has the large busses.

Old July 30th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Queen View Post
This is a booking agent and not any vendor running the tour.
What does that mean? Is it a bad thing?

Past Cruises:

Old July 30th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonvoyagie View Post
When I was on this tour in 12 with Chilkoot there were three train cars - two were for Princess tour pax, the third was for the independent tours like Chilkoot. That day Chilkoot had 5 of us and there were another 4 from another company and 2 that should have been on the Princess cars.

Chilkoot can handle about 12-14 pax depending on how full they want to make the bus.

I believe that the trip when booked with the RR will also include transport back - I am not sure who they use. I know that Princess has the large busses.
Thanks! Do you know who the other company was?

Past Cruises:

Old July 30th, 2014, 02:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Queen View Post
Some facts that are missing. ALL Lake Bennett train trips, INCLUDE the meal. The train stops at Lake Bennett, everyone gets off the train, go eat and have some time for a walk around. You can NOT book this train trip, with the White Pass, UNLESS, you also have the road trip lined up. This train is ONE way, so you have to have another vendor for the road.

I used Dyea Dave for a southbound train trip a few weeks ago.
It seems like some tours have a BBQ lunch at Carcross, and others have lunch at the Bennett Station House. We are looking for a tour that has the lunch at Bennett Station House. Thanks!

Past Cruises:

Old July 30th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It seems like some tours have a BBQ lunch at Carcross, and others have lunch at the Bennett Station House. We are looking for a tour that has the lunch at Bennett Station House. Thanks!
We did Bennett Scenic Journey on 7/16 through Chilkoot. Less than 20 of us in our train car and the drive back down to Skagway. Wonderful day! The lunch at Bennett Station House was beef stew...delicious! I don't think anyone offers BBQ.

Regardless of vendor, if you can do the Bennett Scenic Journey, do so!
  • Carnival Pride Jan 2006: Long Beach, Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas
  • Carnival Ecstasy Jan 2004: Long Beach, Avalon, Ensenada
  • USS Rowan (DD-782), RM2 Jan 1969 - Jan 1972 Homeports: San Diego and Yokosuka. Shellback - November, 1970 at 000° 00', 105° 14'E
Amtrak - Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Pacific Surfliner.
Other rail - White Pass and Yukon Route Railway - Skagway to Carcross, Grand Canyon Railway, Fillmore and Western Railway, Metrolink, Private railcar travel through LARail.com.

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The difference is not just the lunch; they are completely different tours. As BQ states, all of the Lake Bennett tours, which go by train all the way to Carcross, have lunch at the Bennett Station. The tours with the shorter train ride to Fraser and bus to the Yukon from there do lunch at Caribou Crossing, which is BBQ chicken.
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!

Old July 30th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCan782 View Post
We did Bennett Scenic Journey on 7/16 through Chilkoot. Less than 20 of us in our train car and the drive back down to Skagway. Wonderful day! The lunch at Bennett Station House was beef stew...delicious! I don't think anyone offers BBQ.

Regardless of vendor, if you can do the Bennett Scenic Journey, do so!
We would like to! Trying to find another reputable tour company who does it since Chilkoot is sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryf View Post
The difference is not just the lunch; they are completely different tours. As BQ states, all of the Lake Bennett tours, which go by train all the way to Carcross, have lunch at the Bennett Station. The tours with the shorter train ride to Fraser and bus to the Yukon from there do lunch at Caribou Crossing, which is BBQ chicken.
Yes, we want to do the longer train ride with lunch at the Bennett Station. That's what I was trying to say.

Past Cruises:

Old July 30th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Well I got an answer by flat out asking the company! Here was their email response:

"We are a centralized reservation center that compiles what we deem to be the best and most credible tours in Skagway based on customer feedback and first-hand experience. We are a bit selective in this process and do not work with everyone in Skagway. We help market these tours for the tour companies and try our best to come in with prices better than the cruise lines."

As for the Bennett journey, they coordinate the train part directly with the railroad and our tour guide and the bus part is actually with Chilkoot. So it seems like we will be getting the Chilkoot tour but through a third party service verses going through Chilkoot directly.

Just wanted to share for anyone who may come across this company in the future. I'll try to remember to update this thread with a review after our trip.

Past Cruises:

Old July 30th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

If it is indeed through Chilkoot, you should be in good hands. We did Bennett Scenic Journey with Chilkoot two weeks ago (7/16) and are more than happy with them AND the WPYR staff on the train. I booked and paid for this last fall. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again.
  • Carnival Pride Jan 2006: Long Beach, Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas
  • Carnival Ecstasy Jan 2004: Long Beach, Avalon, Ensenada
  • USS Rowan (DD-782), RM2 Jan 1969 - Jan 1972 Homeports: San Diego and Yokosuka. Shellback - November, 1970 at 000° 00', 105° 14'E
Amtrak - Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Pacific Surfliner.
Other rail - White Pass and Yukon Route Railway - Skagway to Carcross, Grand Canyon Railway, Fillmore and Western Railway, Metrolink, Private railcar travel through LARail.com.

Old July 31st, 2014, 10:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
As for the Bennett journey, they coordinate the train part directly with the railroad and our tour guide and the bus part is actually with Chilkoot. So it seems like we will be getting the Chilkoot tour but through a third party service verses going through Chilkoot directly.
How can they get you on the Chilkoot tour if Chilkoot told you that they don't have any availability? Sounds a bit fishy to me...
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!