Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Africa & Middle East

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 21st, 2014, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cruise stops in Africa

I just found this forum - are there cruise lines that have stops that would allow me to take a day if two for a short safari. At this point I do not care about time of year.

Thanx

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Old March 21st, 2014, 04:46 PM
5,000+ Club

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcumpire View Post
I just found this forum - are there cruise lines that have stops that would allow me to take a day if two for a short safari. At this point I do not care about time of year.

Thanx

There probably are some but do it very rarely.
Caribbean Jan 2008 , November 2011
Alaska Aug 2008 , May 2010 , June 2013
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Hawaii April 2012 , Feb 2013
Princess 10x HAL 3x RCI 2x

Old March 21st, 2014, 08:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Larry,

Actually several lines visit Africa. Keith who posts a blog on the Crystal board is sailing on the Crystal Serenity and will arrive in Durban, SA tomorrow and is doing a 3 day safari then returning to the ship in Cape Town. Check the Crystal board to read about it.

I am booked on the Oceania Marina from Cape Town to Rio. We will be doing an overnight safari before boarding the ship.

There are lots of options.

Old March 21st, 2014, 09:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanx for the info - I will start looking

Old March 21st, 2014, 10:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oceania Nautica is doing Capetown to Singapore next January. There are many options for pre-cruise safaris from Capetown. Kruger or the private reserve, Sabi Sands, are a few options..

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oceania also offer an overnight safari from one of the ports in South Africa. I can't remember which one, but the passengers that went on it really enjoyed the safari and saw the Magnificent 5. I did a pre-cruise safari and was glad that I did as I definitely saw more animals than you can from the cruise ship. You have to be on the reserves either very early in the morning or late in the afternoon to see the animals.

Old March 26th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagi View Post
Oceania Nautica is doing Capetown to Singapore next January. There are many options for pre-cruise safaris from Capetown. Kruger or the private reserve, Sabi Sands, are a few options..

We were booked on this cruise then had to cancel for work related issues. While doing research for similar cruise in 2016 I found several comments in cruise critic questioning Africa as a cruise ship destination. In summary, the comments I read were that Africa is best seen and experienced on a land tour with an extended safari. I also read comments about the ports (outside of Cape Town) not being very interesting. This led me to question whether we should skip our Africa cruise and instead choose one part of Africa and explore it via an extended Safari. We wouldn't cover as much ground but we would have a much better experience viewing wildlife which is our primary interest in visiting Africa.

I realize that cruising in general has drawbacks and the brevity of port visits is a major one but for those of you who have cruised to Africa, is this a destination where a land visit far outweighs what you can experience by cruising?

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

The cruise gave us a taste of several different parts of Africa. Some ports, we know we will not go back to and others gave us enough of a taste that we are planning on doing a land trip of Africa in another couple of years. What the ports did is whet our appetites so that we want to go back. As my TA said, once you have been to Africa, it gets under your skin and you want to go back again. The only drawback about travelling to Africa is the long flight.
Yes, we were glad we did the cruise. We saw enough of certain areas, that we now know that we don't want to go back there, and other areas, we know to avoid.

Old March 27th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Voyages of Discovery

VoD has a cruise December 2014 that has two stops in Tanzania and they are offering an overnight safari shore tour but it's quite expensive.

This cruise ends in Mauritius in early January and I actually found the best prices for flights home went via Johannesburg so I've built in a stay-over there into my itinerary and am doing a 3-day safari from J'burg. Tour companies will pick you up from the airport where there are two hotel options or from many other hotels.

Several years ago we did a HAL western African cruise that ended in Cape Town where we stayed over a week and did lots of touring.

Upcoming: Voyages of Discovery-Treasures of the Indian Ocean & East Africa and Indian Ocean Gems Dec 2014/Jan 2015
Holland America-Voyage of the Vikings July/Aug 2015

PAST CRUISES: Azamara: QUEST-Eastern Mediterranean Oct/Nov 2008 & Southeast Asia Dec 2009/Jan 2010; Celebrity: CONSTELLATION-Carribean Dec 2004; Holland America: ZAANDAM-South America/Antarctica Jan/Feb 2014, OOSTERDAM-South Pacific Nov/Dec 2013, VOLENDAM-Australia Mar/Apr 2010, PRINSENDAM-West Africa Oct/Nov 2006, & STATENDAM-Mexican Riviera Dec 2003; Hurtigruten: NORDKAPP-Norway Apr/May 2006; Norwegian: STAR-Alaska Aug 2008 & WIND-Alaska June 2004; Oceania: REGATTA Amazon-Nov/Dec 2010 & NAUTICA Black Sea-Aug/Sep 2011;Princess: SAPPHIRE-Pacific Coast Sept 2005, DAWN-Hawaii/South Pacific Oct 2002, & SUN-Panama Canal/Caribbean Mar 2001;Royal Caribbean: MONARCH OF THE SEAS-Baja/Calif. June 2006; Swan Hellenic: MINERVA-Italy May 2011 & Grand Trade Winds Feb/Mar 2013; Uniworld RIVER QUEEN-Rhine & Moselle Sept/Oct 2009;Victoria: STAR-Yangtze, China Oct 2007

Old March 31st, 2014, 08:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcumpire View Post

Thanx

Oceania Nautica - December 2014 - Capetown roundtrip - does stops in South Africa
Oceania has other cruises with stops in Africa

Old April 1st, 2014, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

We booked Regent Cape Town to Cape Town November 2015. It includes a three day pre or post cruise safari and some of the excursions include a day safari.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just remember your pre-cruise safari will show you more wildlife than the ship ones. The ship ones take you to the reserves when there is not much animal activity. Enjoy your cruise though, it is a beautiful area to cruise through.

Old April 5th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Regent is doing a cruise Capetown to Singapore that includes three days precruise on mini safari, as well as several calls in other African ports.
I just read on CC that the current HAL world cruise is canceling several western African ports because of the Ebola outbreak.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Old May 20th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cape Town to Rio Nov. 28th 2015

Would like to fly to Johannesburg for a couple days of morning and afternoon safari's, and also take in Victoria Falls. Maybe we can hook up with like minded people. deSanford

Old May 20th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have just returned home from a cruise on Ocean Princess which sails out of Sydney in March 2015 or Singapore in April 2015 on a similar itinerary to the one we have just sailed.
There were ship's tours and private tours which left the ship in Durban and some returned to the ship in East London which was our next port and others didn't return until Cape Town. Cape Town was the end of a segment and we met many fellow passengers who were disembarking in Cape Town and then undertaking safaris.
The ship was continuing up the West Coast of Africa stopping at many interesting ports.
The Singapore to Cape Town segment is around 31 days and is a wonderful itinerary.

Old July 27th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are doing Oceania Insignia from Barbados to Cape Town as a segment of their World Cruise in January 2015. When we disembark in CT we are doing 3 days in Cape and then 4 days in Kreuger NP on safari. We booked our details thru a company locally. Looking forward to the experience.

Old August 5th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Africa

We are scheduled to go to Africa on a Holland cruise in November. Part of the trip goes to West Africa and I am wondering if anyone has information about Holland changing ports due to the Ebola outbreak?

Old August 5th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotties4 View Post
We are scheduled to go to Africa on a Holland cruise in November. Part of the trip goes to West Africa and I am wondering if anyone has information about Holland changing ports due to the Ebola outbreak?
Check Holland America's News > Travel Advisories page:
http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/M...ac=footer_News#

As of today 8/5/2014:

"There are no travel advisories posted at this time. If you have questions about a current or upcoming sailing please contact our customer service team here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/contactUs/Preface.action . Thank you."
Sailed! Oceania Regatta 10-19-2012 14-day New England/Canada/Bermuda (Hurricane Sandy Mystery Cruise)
Safari! Tanzania February, 2012 (The Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara)
Sailed! Maine Windjammer Stephen Taber 9-2008 4-day cruise of mid-coast Maine on a floating National Historic Landmark launched in 1871.

Old August 8th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are on a Regent sailing Cape Town to Singapore in December with an included precruise safari plus the many ports along the east coast of Africa have safaris for the day. Great itinerary. Check it out.