Melbourne, Australia

Kharvavad

People 60 and over should be aware that the seniors' myki (with an S code) is only available to Victorian seniors' card holders.

Seniors from other states (and other concession card holders) should have a "concession" myki (with a C code). The concession myki does not offer free travel on Saturdays or Sundays or the $3.90 daily cap. Just normal concession fares.

A normal adult myki does not have a code shown on it.

Paul in Melbourne

I am a Senior card holder from WA - and as I write - I have my MYKI card in my hot little hand and it says "C" Concession. :p So can confirm this. Bought it at a the reduced price to the normal card, same price as a child card I think - worked for me :)

Edited by dizzy1948

Yes dizzy1948 you have the correct myki. Suggest you register on line and organise automatic top up. Then you won't have any issues and would get your money transferred to a new myki should you lose the one you have. Enjoy your travels in Melbourne.

I am a Senior card holder from WA - and as I write - I have my MYKI card in my hot little hand and it says "C" Concession. :p So can confirm this. Bought it at a the reduced price to the normal card, same price as a child card I think - worked for me :)

I'll also confirm this. I'm a NSW Senior with a Concession MYKI card which was cheaper than the normal card.

Yes dizzy1948 you have the correct myki. Suggest you register on line and organise automatic top up. Then you won't have any issues and would get your money transferred to a new myki should you lose the one you have. Enjoy your travels in Melbourne.

Hee hee - I've been and gone....................But I'll be back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dizzy1948

• 1 month later...

I am of " senior" age and will be in Melbourne for one day during our cruise. When and how do I purchase a MYKI card? Should I purchase it online? Would it be better to get a taxi into the iSite and since I am totally unfamiliar with the transit system?

We have sailed into Melbourne twice since Myki. Both times there was a Myki counter for purchase of a pack which also had lots of concessions to attractions and free offers for other things like coffees. The first time we purchased a pack, had a great time in Melbourne and kept the card just in case we ever returned to the city. The next time we were able to top up our Myki at the counter (didn't get the freebies though).

Sunshine5240

They won't let you have a seniors Myki but I would suggest that it is the way to go. Buy a pack at the Myki counter in the Cruise Terminal and you will get "freebies" and a map of the city transit system. The bus just outside the Terminal or the tram which you have to walk the length of the pier and a little bit further to get, are a very easy and cheap way to get into the city and back again.

Do take into account that all trams in the CBD grid (see map here http://ptv.vic.gov.au/1-january-2015-fare-changes/ ) are now free.

So if there are a couple of you (4 can fit in a standard taxi) and all you plan to see and do is in the CBD precinct - just get a taxi into the CBD and then sightsee for free all day and get a cab back to the wharf.

For a small group - that would likely work out more economical than buying the MYKI's solely to get from the wharf into the CBD.

There are 4 of us on Princess in February looking for a private tour in Melbourne. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

Nancy

We are potentially interested in a private tour depending on the price and itinerary. Please keep us informed.

- Gail and Hank Walden

We are 2 seniors, unafraid of public transportation and happy to find free alternatives to the paid tours. However, I feel less confident of choosing what the best way is to spend 5-6+ hours in Melbourne. Can you advise on the 'must see' options and 'ok to miss it' ones? We are more inclined to favor walking outside and looking vs. hours in a museum, unless the museum is a unique 'must see'. Are there free walking tours as there are in other cities? Hop on hop off buses?

I've read that a ship's tour is preferred since 'traffic can be heavy'. Will we have to worry about getting back to the ship ontime if we do our own thing? Preferred transportation if this is the case?