Want to Visit Kilkenny, Ireland

MalibuCA

My husband and I are going to be in Waterford on the Crystal Symphony from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. We would like to visit Kilkenny for the day. One option is to rent a car and drive there, go to the Castle, wander the town, and do it all on our own. Another option, of course, is that the cruise ship may offer a shore excursion. While we take ship shore excursions when they are either fabulous itineraries or locations that are difficult to visit on our own or by private guide, the large group tours aren't our favorite choice. The last option is to take a private tour for the two of us or to hire a driver who can take us and bring us back to the ship. The problem with #3 is that I haven't been able to find a private guide or driver.

Please advise me if Kilkenny is a town that is easily done on our own. I know that it's very walkable and compact, but is there a need for a private guide to explain the history and culture? Are there taxis available at the cruise terminal that can take us to the car rental agency to pick up the car, and are there taxis available near the car rental agency to bring us back to the ship after returning the car?

Alternatively, can you recommend a private guide or driver?

I have seen some group tours offered that take cruise passengers from Waterford to Kilkenny and back to Waterford, where they are also taken to the Waterford Crystal factory. I'm wondering whether this is something we could do on our own. Can that be done easily if we pick up the car about 9 am and return to the ship (after returning the car) by 6 pm? My husband doesn't really care about the factory, and frankly, I could look at Waterford in my cupboard, but I still wonder whether the factory tour is worth doing. What do you think?

Thanks so much for your help!

Shelley

We visited Kilkenny when on a land tour of Ireland, so I can't help with the cruise transportation logistics. I can tell you that Kilkenny is a delightful town and very easy to do on your own. Don't miss the castle, home of the Butler family. They give an excellent guided tour. The old town area is very compact and walkable--lots to see and do. They is a Tourist Information place very near the castle and they were very helpful with maps, etc. I hope you can manage a trip to Kilkenny--it was one of my favorite places in Ireland and we would have liked to have more time there. The Kilkenny Design Centre just across from the Castle is a great place to shop and have lunch.

Another option (depnding on how you are at walking) would be to take the train from Waterford to Kilkenny. It takes about 30-40 minutes.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/04-dublinwaterford250920131.pdf?v=gc3ukca

Fare about 27 euro return.

You could then meet up with a walking tour of Kilkenny.

http://www.kilkennywalkingtours.ie/

It's a small town.

I'd agree with Newgrange. You would have 5 hours in Kilkenny (I wouldn't chance the train that gets to Waterford at 7pm if I had an 8pm sailing time - but that's me!).

The castle is the opposite side of the town from the train station, but its not a long walk and you would be going through the centre of the town.

Just be sure if you are docking in Waterford and not Dunmore East. If its Dunmore East, then that's another 30 minutes or so from Waterford (in the wrong direction from Kilkenny).

As to the Waterford Glass factory....the real Waterford Glass factory closed a few years ago, and as far as I am concerned the place you now can visit is not the Waterford Glass factory. Some of the original craftsmen from the original factory are there and they use mostly the same techniques, but it is not the Waterford Glass factory of old! (personal opinion!).

As to the Waterford Glass factory....the real Waterford Glass factory closed a few years ago, and as far as I am concerned the place you now can visit is not the Waterford Glass factory. Some of the original craftsmen from the original factory are there and they use mostly the same techniques, but it is not the Waterford Glass factory of old! (personal opinion!).

We visited the Waterford Glass Factory in 2006 on independent land travel. Did we visit the old or new factory? I can't compare the old and new experiences, but I was happy with our tour. We definitely witnessed some of the intricate techniques applied to some crystal pieces-in-progress. We were a small enough group within the factory that I could see and hear the explanations.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

My husband and I are going to be in Waterford on the Crystal Symphony from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. We would like to visit Kilkenny for the day... My husband doesn't really care about the factory, and frankly, I could look at Waterford in my cupboard, but I still wonder whether the factory tour is worth doing. What do you think?

The reason to visit the Waterford factory -- at least based on my 2006 tour -- is to see the craftsmen in action and to see the unique pieces that are not commercially available for sale. These would be trophies or presentation gifts to dignitaries. (Yes, we all have Lismore or the equivalent in our cupboards!)

And just to crowd your day even more, Kilkenny is the location of the Irish National Craft Gallery. There are interesting ceramics/glass/weaving/wood exhibitions that change throughout the year. Here's the link to this lovely, lovely place: http://www.nationalcraftgallery.ie/exhibitions (I see I'm the second person to mention this appealing place. This is not your local craft fair or craft gallery. It is the organization that promotes the finest talent in the entire country.)

The castle tour is offered by employees (or perhaps volunteers) who are specially trained for the castle tours. Very worthwhile.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

In 2006 you would have toured the Waterford Glass Factory which is/was a large building on the outskirts (Kilbarry) of Waterford. At that time it was owned by the Wedgewood group. The visitor centre closed in January 2010.

Most branded Waterford Crystal is now manufactured outside Ireland. What you see at the current visitor centre on the Mall in Waterford city is the traditional methods of blowing and cutting the glass, by traditional craftsmen, but not a commercial operation.

If it was a choice of the waterford crystal or a visit to Kilkenny, then in my opinion Kilkenny wins all the way.

It is a fifteen minute walk from Kilkenny railway station to the Castle. When I was last there, two weeks ago on a Thursday, the traffic was bumper to bumper all the way. I arrived at the Castle quicker on foot than if I had been in a car. The train back to Dublin was twenty five minutes late leaving Kilkenny, so to be safe I would advise getting the 16:40 train to Waterford.

I recommend Ristorante Rinuccini for lunch. It is situated across the road from the Castle.

http://www.rinuccini.com/

Dermot

I think that our ship will be docked at Dunmore East. Is there a train station within walking distance (or a short taxi ride) to Dunmore East that will take us to Kilkenny?

Thanks,

Shelley

No, the train only goes from Waterford. I understand (from looking at various threads) that shuttle buses are available from Dunmore East to Waterford. Allow atleast 30 minutes for the transfer. Also allow extra time as Dunmore is a tender port.

It might be better to try to arrange a private tour to Kilkenny directly from Dunmore East, or else take a ship tour.

My husband and I are going to be in Waterford on the Crystal Symphony from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. We would like to visit Kilkenny for the day. One option is to rent a car and drive there, go to the Castle, wander the town, and do it all on our own. Another option, of course, is that the cruise ship may offer a shore excursion. While we take ship shore excursions when they are either fabulous itineraries or locations that are difficult to visit on our own or by private guide, the large group tours aren't our favorite choice. The last option is to take a private tour for the two of us or to hire a driver who can take us and bring us back to the ship. The problem with #3 is that I haven't been able to find a private guide or driver.

Shelley

Hi, Shelley,

My husband and I have the same problem. We are on the Celebrity Silhouette next June, putting in to port at Dunmore East. There is a bus to Waterford but we want to get to Kilkenny, which is totally walk-able. Of course there is a train from Waterford to Kilkenny but getting the schedules to marry up, and then being tied to them means we won't be able to spend a lot of time in Kilkenny.

I can't find any rental car agencies in Dunmore East. I suspect we will pay the premium for a taxi to take us to Kilkenny unless there is another option. One I have considered is renting an entire charter bus and advertising on the Roll Call for our sailing to see if anyone wants transportation only to Kilkenny.

In the end I have a feeling we'll take the cost gut punch for a private driver because Kilkenny is absolutely worth seeing (my parents have been and raved about it).

I'd love to know what you find out, and if I learn anything new I'll post here. :)

Hi, Sparkopotamus (BTW cute name!) -

I'm still working on it. Exploring an avenue with a private guide. If it pans out, I'll post back here and let you know.

Shelley

Hi, Shelley,

Here's a potential way to get to Kilkenny: hire a taxi from Dunmore East to Waterford Airport. It is only ~8 miles (~15 minutes). Waterford Airport is a good deal south of the city of Waterford. The taxi fare should be reasonable form Dunmore East to Waterford Airport.

From the airport, rent a car (e.g., Hertz) to get to Kilkenny. I went on-line to Hertz and did a mock rental--a mid-size no frills car should cost you no more than $50 (USD) for the day. That's quite affordable compared to the 128 Euro one-way price :eek: I've seen for taxi service from Dunmore East to Kilkenny!

I'm going to do some more web-mining but at this point I suspect this is the most viable option for me and mr. sparkopotamus! :D

Please let me know if you find other options! :)

• 5 months later...

We are on a cruise ship Aug 13 arriving Dunmore East. I have booked a 12 seater private tour bus for 8 hour day with cost of 360 euro. I will be glad to let folks know details. I have not used this company before so I hope it works so e-mail me and I will gladly give info! I am new at posting so I do not want to make any blunders!!

We are on a cruise ship Aug 13 arriving Dunmore East. I have booked a 12 seater private tour bus for 8 hour day with cost of 360 euro. I will be glad to let folks know details. I have not used this company before so I hope it works so e-mail me and I will gladly give info! I am new at posting so I do not want to make any blunders!!

Hi PZBZ we are also on Silhouette, there are four of us very interested in going to Kilkinney, please let me know if you form this tour. Go to our thread with info I know there are others wanting to do this. On our cruise ship. Mary

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

I posted on thread for Silhouette Cruise, I don't have your email address, Mary

It is a fifteen minute walk from Kilkenny railway station to the Castle. When I was last there, two weeks ago on a Thursday, the traffic was bumper to bumper all the way. I arrived at the Castle quicker on foot than if I had been in a car. The train back to Dublin was twenty five minutes late leaving Kilkenny, so to be safe I would advise getting the 16:40 train to Waterford.

I recommend Ristorante Rinuccini for lunch. It is situated across the road from the Castle.

http://www.rinuccini.com/

Dermot

How long of a train trip was it from Dublin? Have been reading of going there from Dunmore East and it is complicated. We will be in Dublin for two days and that might be better. I am not familiar with how the trains run in Ireland. Could you possibly direct me into the right direction? Thank you in advance, I really want to visit Kilkenny, have heard so many great reviews. Mary

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

Hi Mary,

Here is the rail timetable from Dublin to Kilkenny.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/04-dublinwaterford250920131.pdf?v=gc3ukca

It is the Waterford train and it takes 90 minutes approximately to reach Kilkenny. The train departs from Dublin Heuston station which is a ten minute bus journey from the city centre. For the cheapest fare book online on the Irish Rail website. Online reservations open sixty days before date of travel. If you require further information, please let me know.

Dermot