Embera Village tour with mobility issues

leslieart

We are traveling through the canal in December on Legend of the Seas. I'd like to do an Embera Village tour (the more authentic, the better) but we are traveling with my MIL who has some mobility limitations. We will have a folding wheelchair with us and she can walk short distances. We take her out on our ocean kayaks regularly and she actually was able to do the Virgin Gorda Baths last year by taking short breaks on the way, so she is a real trooper.

Can someone recommend a tour operator that would work well for our situation?

Thanks.

I think you would do best given your situation on a private tour, just for you. They can be arranged but of course doing a tour for two people will be a lot more expensive, but I would think it can be done. I'm quite sure you could not do it through the ship. You might contact Anne Gordon at EmberaVillageTours.com and see what she says. Regards, Richard

I think you would do best given your situation on a private tour, just for you. They can be arranged but of course doing a tour for two people will be a lot more expensive, but I would think it can be done. I'm quite sure you could not do it through the ship. You might contact Anne Gordon at EmberaVillageTours.com and see what she says. Regards, Richard

Thanks, Richard.

I've been in contact with My Friend Mario and he (they?) seem to think that it will be manageable on their tour. They said they suggest that those with mobility issues wait with the canoe rather than walk to the waterfall, but other than that it should not be an issue.

So for now, that is our plan. I'll post here when we get back so that others can benefit from our experience.

• 3 months later...

Well, my MIL caught a cold onboard and ended up skipping this tour. But I went and I think if she had been healthy she could have done it. The approach to the canoe was gentle and just a few steps. Getting to the village was uphill, maybe 20 yards, challenging but doable for her. She certainly couldn't have gotten to the waterfall, but we weren't there long so she would have waited in the canoe. Stepping into the canoe would have required assistance and probably would have been the most difficult challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app