DIY Report Brugge from Zeebrugge on a Sunday

Hi all,

We stopped in the port of Zeebrugge last September. We were in port from 7 to 4.

The following is a very picture heavy trip report on what we experienced in Brugge. Hopefully it will inspire others to visit.

We arrived in the port of Zeebrugge very early in the morning and set out to explore the picturesque town of Brugge. My husband and I are avid DIY'ers and arranged for a taxi pick-up at 8:30 at the harbour gate. Our times in port coupled with being there on a Sunday did not really allow for using public transportation, which would have been a lot less expensive. Unfortunately, the taxi fare is fairly pricey for a 25 mile roundtrip, but we were able to find six fellow cruisers on our CruiseCritic Rollcall to split the cost. Pick up was timely and the ride only took about 20 minutes.

When we arrived at Market Square, our designated drop-off and pick-up area, most of the places were not even open yet. Great for taking pictures!

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

I mapped out our walk using my trusty off line CityMapsToGo App.

IMG_1073.JPG

The Belltower (Belfort)

IMG_1074.JPG

Carriages were awaiting potential customers in the square and this Jack Russell Terrier was guarding his master's seat.

IMG_1075.JPG

DSC_0421.JPG

DSC_0429.JPG

We visited Burgsquare with the Basilica of the Holy Blood

IMG_1076.JPG

Photos of the Upper Chapel

DSC_0426.JPG

DSC_0427.JPG

DSC_0442.JPG

Then moved on towards the canals and the Fish Market, which is unfortunately not open on Sundays.

DSC_0438.JPG

Frank Van Ackern Bust near the Fish Market

DSC_0443.JPG

DSC_0445.JPG

Interesting roofs of City Hall

DSC_0448.JPG

The following photos explain why Brugge is also called the Venice of the North. The canals are lined with old houses rising straight from the water.

DSC_0449.JPG

DSC_0450.JPG

DSC_0451.JPG

Fidele, the famous Lab is occupying her window seat already

DSC_0472.JPG

Where many locals were having fun coaching future soccer champions.

DSC_0474.JPG

You can climb up to visit the inside of the windmills. Be careful, it is very steep!

IMG_1079.JPG

DSC_0482.JPG

We continued on a different route towards the city center again. Here are some impressions...

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

And eventually ended up at Brugge's Begijnhof, a very tranquil area in the now tourist filled city.

DSC_0533.JPG

Some interesting modern bridges to connect residences

DSC_0535.JPG

We ended up at Market Square again, just in time to be picked up by our trusted cab driver. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to climb Belfort Tower. Oh well....hopefully next time!

IMG_1085.JPG

The Flemish Lion is growling "Goodbye"

We were back at the ship around 3pm in plenty of time for our 4pm departure to France.

Loved your photos! Do you know if there is a map at the visitor's center?

Sorry, do not know if the visitor's center has maps. I would think, they do! I know, that Celebrity had a not very detailed map for their passengers. Hopefully someone else knows the answer.

Regards

Petra

IMG_1084.JPG

And eventually ended up at Brugge's Begijnhof, a very tranquil area in the now tourist filled city.

DSC_0533.JPG

Some interesting modern bridges to connect residences

DSC_0535.JPG

We ended up at Market Square again, just in time to be picked up by our trusted cab driver. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to climb Belfort Tower. Oh well....hopefully next time!

IMG_1085.JPG

The Flemish Lion is growling "Goodbye"

We were back at the ship around 3pm in plenty of time for our 4pm departure to France.

You're photos were absolutely fabulous. We are going in May on the Brillance and I'm having difficulty finding a Taxi service for 6-8 passengers. Do you remember the company that you took. I signed up with Rony's taxis but was advised by another passenger that they were unreliable. Did you take the canal boat ride? Some of your photos look like they were taken from the water. I enjoyed them so much. Donna {donstan]

You're photos were absolutely fabulous. We are going in May on the Brillance and I'm having difficulty finding a Taxi service for 6-8 passengers. Do you remember the company that you took. I signed up with Rony's taxis but was advised by another passenger that they were unreliable. Did you take the canal boat ride? Some of your photos look like they were taken from the water. I enjoyed them so much. Donna {donstan]

Hello Donna,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am sorry for the late reply to your question. Incidentally we used Rony's taxi service and were very happy. They were on time for both pick-ups, the van was clean and in good working order. We had no complaints!

We did not take the canal cruise because I wanted to take photographs of the beautiful scenery. It is a lot more difficult for me, as a novice photographer, to produce good photos from a moving boat while competing for good vantage points with fellow passengers. We usually walk everywhere so that I can stop and shoot wherever I like.

Have a wonderful day in Brugge

Regards

Petra

Fabulous pics! Did you take Eoro's or use credit cards?

Hi Jackie and Tony,

We always carry some local currency for where ever we travel, but reserve the credit card for larger amounts like hotel bills, etc. Several years ago we got a Capital One Venture Visa card, which doesn't incur any foreign transaction fees. Last year our Amex started to offer the same "bonus".

Thanks for looking at the photos. I am glad you liked them

Regards

Petra