Whale watching in Juneau

mimmy52

DSC05152.jpg.18f811b3a2424a80f5548c0c0fb54eb9.jpgWe sailed with Capt. Louis, one of the owners of Harv & Marv, in August 2014. There were 6 of us in our party so we were able to book a private tour. It was magical! Capt. Louis was very knowledgeable, pleasant, and got us as close to the whales as is legally allowed. We did see some other tour boats that had lots of people on them. No way for everyone to get a clear view of the whales when you are standing two or three deep at the railing. We were inside the cabin when moving quickly, but could go outside when viewing the whales. Snacks, sodas and water were provided too. Capt. Louis also took us near to an island that had hundreds of very large sea lions on it. You could hear them calling to each other! That was super. The tail fluke picture is of a whale that had not been seen in Juneau water for over three years. There was a chart on the boat that identified the whales. We felt very privileged to have seen this whale.

We've been on whale watches out of Provincetown, MA so could compare the trips. We did see lots of whales and sea lions both in MA and Alaska. Go for it!

We’ve done Harv & Marv twice in the smaller boats. It was fine the first trip but the second the water was too rough and we had to transfer to another boat in order to safely make it back to the dock. It was difficult to take photos due to the movement in the small boat. We’re going with Orca this year. Both get excellent reviews and our experience was rare although we won’t be using Harv & Marv again.

Allen Marine contacts with the cruise lines to provide whale watch tours and their boats hold up to 150 passengers.

We are considering Harv & Marv in June ; a little concerned about your comment you won't be using them again

We are considering Harv & Marv in June ; a little concerned about your comment you won't be using them again

Harv & Marv is a wonderful operation. Their boats are small which can be a good thing but when the seas are rough it's difficult for them to maneuver and they have canceled trips when other operators with larger boats go out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1865127&highlight=harv

Awesome, I thought you were leaning towards the other company. We are so excited can't get here fast enough! :D

this one is on the water longer, which I liked, I know I can't wait either!! Most of the details have been taken care of, now it is just a waiting game

I'll give a hearty "+2" for Gastineau Guding. We used them for Princess JNU-700 in 2010 and had a fantastic time. We used somebody else for our 2012 cruise: 40 people on a boat with a 9'x9' rear platform makes for a madhouse, especially when there are idiots holding their iPad at arms length "to get closer pictures" (duh, they're 300' away, arms length won't matter...) blocking your shot. We went back to Gastineau for JNU-700 again in 2014 and had an even better time: our guides offered to add a special salmon feeding stop if we kept our feet moving on the Mendenhall Glacier portion, and it was extremely worthwhile.

As I understand it, JNU-705 is "the same" as JNU-700, except on a slightly larger boat (20 max pax vs. 14) and without the photo "instruction". Honestly, my advice is to take -700 whether you want photo tips or not, because it's the smaller boat with less pax.

• 3 months later...

It looks like pretty much all the whale watches are close to $200 or so? A little bit of sticker shock to me I guess. Most of the whale watches I did were in the Boston area and well under $50...

It looks like pretty much all the whale watches are close to $200 or so? A little bit of sticker shock to me I guess. Most of the whale watches I did were in the Boston area and well under $50...

We're going with Juneau Tours Whale Watch this summer and it is $110.

Yep, you can expect over $100++++

My group has a private charter booked with Harv And Marvs at the end of the month - I'm looking forward to it! I have friends in Alaska who tell me that the whales have arrived and in larger numbers than expected.

I selected Harv and Marvs because of the many recommendations. They have been wonderful to work with getting this set up.

I'll post an update at the end of the month!!!!

My group has a private charter booked with Harv And Marvs at the end of the month - I'm looking forward to it! I have friends in Alaska who tell me that the whales have arrived and in larger numbers than expected.

I selected Harv and Marvs because of the many recommendations. They have been wonderful to work with getting this set up.

I'll post an update at the end of the month!!!!

That would be great to post an update when you return because we have a private charter booked with Harv and Marvs in June and also felt they were great to work with etc. Will look forward to hearing so I know if I have to change it or not! Thanks ..

I am going with Marv & Harv on May 19th. Will let you know how it was when I return at the end of May

I will be looking for your update!! I hope you see whales! This is the 4th cruise (2nd to Alaska) with my group - and we've yet to see whales - except from 40 miles away where you think you see a spout and you assume if it is a spout it must be coming from a whale..........

Are you by chance going on the Carnival Legend?

Good evening. We went on a private excursion with Capt. Louis who owns Harv & Marv's last August and it was awesome! There were six of us at a cost of about $158 per person including all taxes, fuel surcharge etc. Capt. Louis also provided snacks, sodas and water on board his boat. There was also a small restroom on board. We liked having the private charter as we could go where the whales and seals were located, and we all got to be at the rail to take pictures. When we were traveling from place to place we were inside the cabin and very comfortable. It was a chilly day so it was nice to be warm and dry.

We saw lots of whales, including one humpback that had not been in the area for 3 years. She was identified by her distinctive tail markings that I found on a poster on the boat.

Capt. Louis took us to an island that was covered with very large sea lions! You could hear them "talking" to each other. It was interesting that they were accustomed to the boat, but we were advised not to talk above a whisper because that would frighten them. That was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

We found the whole trip to be excellent from pick-up at the cruise dock to our return trip through Juneau with a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier for pictures.

Go for it! Harv & Marv's ships are not overcrowded like some others that we saw. This was a safety concern for us. We have been on whale watches out of Provincetown, MA and I would rank this trip with the best of those trips.

Good evening. We went on a private excursion with Capt. Louis who owns Harv & Marv's last August and it was awesome! There were six of us at a cost of about $158 per person including all taxes, fuel surcharge etc. Capt. Louis also provided snacks, sodas and water on board his boat. There was also a small restroom on board. We liked having the private charter as we could go where the whales and seals were located, and we all got to be at the rail to take pictures. When we were traveling from place to place we were inside the cabin and very comfortable. It was a chilly day so it was nice to be warm and dry.

We saw lots of whales, including one humpback that had not been in the area for 3 years. She was identified by her distinctive tail markings that I found on a poster on the boat.

Capt. Louis took us to an island that was covered with very large sea lions! You could hear them "talking" to each other. It was interesting that they were accustomed to the boat, but we were advised not to talk above a whisper because that would frighten them. That was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

We found the whole trip to be excellent from pick-up at the cruise dock to our return trip through Juneau with a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier for pictures.

Go for it! Harv & Marv's ships are not overcrowded like some others that we saw. This was a safety concern for us. We have been on whale watches out of Provincetown, MA and I would rank this trip with the best of those trips.

Thanks for the great review! I'm feeling better now :)!

Since I e never cruised, I'm not sure how the timing of things works. For instance, our Cruise itinerary says we will be in Juneau from 6:30am- 4pm. I was hoping to do a whale watch and see Mendenhall glacier while there. I know that we won't all get off the boat at the same time! Ignoring the fact that this is pretty early in the morning, what is the earliest you would schedule a tour with an outside vender? And on the other end, what time would you make sure your tour was scheduled to end? I'll use this info on our other stops too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best thing to do is to call Harv and Marv and they will tell you what is possible. They are very experienced in getting folks back in time for sailing. You are usually picked up at, and returned to, the cruise terminal/dock/nearby office unless you request otherwise. The tour companies are very aware of arrival and departure times and will only schedule you if it will work.

Since I e never cruised, I'm not sure how the timing of things works. For instance, our Cruise itinerary says we will be in Juneau from 6:30am- 4pm. I was hoping to do a whale watch and see Mendenhall glacier while there. I know that we won't all get off the boat at the same time! Ignoring the fact that this is pretty early in the morning, what is the earliest you would schedule a tour with an outside vender? And on the other end, what time would you make sure your tour was scheduled to end? I'll use this info on our other stops too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You HAVE to be back on board 1/2 hour prior to the scheduled departure time.

Many times, ship are cleared the stated times. With tours, you may want to add at least 1/2 hour, but ALWAYS go with the vendor's recommendation.