Singapore and Hong Kong taxis

marylizcat

I did it in Singapore with no worries, all in one taxi

Oh! That's good. Most of the taxis plying the streets in Singapore won't be able to take 4 adults plus luggage. But I guess they have larger vehicles. You may have to book in advance or if you are at the airport, the friendly airport staff managing the taxi line should be able to assist.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thanks to both of you. Looks like we may or may not be able to all get in one taxi! At least we can be prepared to split up if necessary. I will make sure another person in our group knows where we are going! They leave all the arrangements to me...

From another current thread, it looks like Hong Kong taxis won't take four plus luggage.

... From another current thread, it looks like Hong Kong taxis won't take four plus luggage.

Hello, fellow "mates" - you're probably reading my other replies about HK taxi & maybe Shanghai transport, where I'm comfortable since we've traveled & been there. Your source as above on Singarpore taxi is solid & excellent.

I've posted some additional FYI details this morning, please read & review for your own usefulness and share among folks on your cruise/roll call as appropriate. Enjoy those ports.

We just returned from a B2B cruise starting in Singapore and ending in Hong Kong. We were not able to fit more than 2 persons with baggage in one cab. We tried to wait for a larger capacity taxi and after 20 mins we gave up. Hong Kong has a great hotel bus/shuttle service from the cruise terminal to many hotels for $10US.

We tried to wait for a larger capacity taxi and after 20 mins we gave up.

There aren't any. About 95% of the HK taxis are Toyota (Crown) Comforts which are a boxy version of a 90's Camry.

Edited by Philob

About 95% of the HK taxis are Toyota (Crown) Comforts which are a boxy version of a 90's Camry.

Typically, 3 pax with luggage CAN fit - that's how we've handled it in HKG -

three (3) 25" suitcases (rollers are easier, spinners can really stick out with the trunk lid staying open & bungee-corded shut fro the long ride on the highway)

2 adults in backseat, 2 smaller carry-ons or cabin bags (note, 22" USA-sized can be tricky & some drivers will "not" be too happy) - usually, it's 2 oversized tote or canvas duffle and 1 backpack (mine is large at 19") in the middle seat/space between the riders. 3rd. passenger (that's usually me) sit in the front, next to the driver.

Taxis in HK are licensed for up to 5 passengers, some for just 4 - practically, 4 non-Asians will fit, 5 is really pushing it. Always, buckle up with the seat belts provided.

Edited by mking8288

Will we be able to find taxis which will take four adults plus luggage or should we expect to have to get two cars?

There is an excellent hotel shuttle service to hotels from the airport.

It was around SGD 9 pp. We didn't have to wait long.

• 11 months later...

Emtplg - could you please tell where the shuttle to the HK hotels depart from. We were planning on taxis as I couldnt find a shuttle but we are at a hotel in Kowloon so the shuttle you describe would be much quicker I am sure for us. Reading about the taxis queue time being anything up to 2 hours doesnt thrill me in the least.

Thanks

Edited by Tara Jane

We've just booked the airport shuttle to the Fairmont. Only SG$9 pp and only 9 seats in total on the bus - so you don't have to wait too long for it to fill up.

You mentioned you had booked this shuttle.

Does it need to be booked, or can you pick it up curb-side?

If no to curb-side pick up, where / how are bookings made?

I have often seen minivan maxi taxi's waiting at both Singapore airport & cruise port, even used one from the cruise port once, so no troubles there. Might be a bit harder in Hong Kong though as most taxis there seem smaller & older.

You mentioned you had booked this shuttle.

Does it need to be booked, or can you pick it up curb-side?

If no to curb-side pick up, where / how are bookings made?

Either. I booked it so that I don't need to queue up to buy a ticket.

You can find the details here:

http://www.changiairport.com/en/transport/shuttle-services.html

... We were planning on taxis as I couldnt find a shuttle but we are at a hotel in Kowloon so the shuttle you describe would be much quicker I am sure for us. Reading about the taxis queue time being anything up to 2 hours doesnt thrill me in the least. Thanks

Can you share which Kowloon hotel you are booked at - or, the nearest cross streets - I assumed it's likely in the Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) area, somewhere along/off Nathan Road or possibly further up near Jordan Road or even in the Mong Kok (Hung Hom ??) area - having lived there for # of years, etc. could lookup for options might be (disembarking from the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal a/k/a old airport)

Reasons why there's a shortage of taxis are that it's out of the way for majority of the drivers plus to then line up & wait for passengers - they can cruise in tourist areas in town and get their next fare (visitors & locals alike) in minutes - if they are lucky, driver get the airport run for a good fare + tipping (which isn't "commonplace" for locals ... ) or else, they drive out of their ways for 10 to 15 minutes + waiting to do a $10 to $15 USD fares, unless you are going to the island + tunnel tolls for a little more, which isn't appealing to anyone making a hard living driving the taxi.

Private vehicle dispatched (most likely subcontracted partners ... unless it's the Penn or IC, etc.) by the hotel can easily run you $50 to $75 USD or higher, depending on how they calculate & charge + another 10% to 20% "service charge" ... now, they got some nice Rolls, Benz in addition to luxury Toyota in the fleet.

Mking8288 - thank you for your information. What you are saying all seems to make sense. We are staying at the metropark kowloon on waterloo Road.

As you are familiar with Hong Kong could I also ask a couple of questions re our time in HK. I enquired of the port if we could take luggage on the shopping shuttles but the answer was not allowed. I had thought maybe getting the shuttle to the shopping centre would at least get us out of the port area and then we could get taxis. We are a group of 12 with 10 mid size suitcases so am expecting 3 or possibly 4 taxis will be necessary.

We plan to leave the port and take our luggage direct to the hotel, wasn't expecting this to take as long as it seems it may with taxi delays. After check in we walk or hotel free shuttle if space permits to mong kok MTR. Buy our older octopus card, then take the train to diamond hill to the chi lin nunnery and nearby gardens. A couple of hours there, then train to central and the bus to Aberdeen. Couple of hours at Aberdeen, bus back to Central to get the tram up Victoria Peak. After Victoria Peak, tram or bus down then the ferry across the harbour for the light show.

Back to the hotel.

The following day we thought of the rickshaw hop on hop off bus, mainly to just do the loops rather than getting off at each stop. I realise we could do Vic Peak that day but thinking time wise it would be better doing on the first day with the octopus card. Later in the day a museum or two and ladies market later in the evening.

Thank you

... We are staying at the metropark kowloon on waterloo Road.

We are a group of 12 with 10 mid size suitcases so am expecting 3 or possibly 4 taxis will be necessary. We plan to leave the port and take our luggage direct to the hotel ...

After check in we walk or hotel free shuttle if space permits to mong kok MTR. Buy octopus card ...take the train to diamond hill to the chi lin nunnery and nearby gardens. ... then train to central and bus to Aberdeen ... back to Central to get the tram up Victoria Peak. After Victoria Peak, tram or bus down then the ferry across the harbour for the light show. Back to the hotel.

The following day we thought of the rickshaw hop on hop off bus, mainly to just do the loops rather than getting off at each stop. I realise we could do Vic Peak that day but thinking time wise it would be better doing on the first day with the octopus card. Later in the day a museum or two and ladies market later in the evening. Thank you

What is your arrival month for this cruise ? Is your group flying home to down "under" together after your 2 nights ?

Let's deal with the easy one first ! Re-work your logistics for day 1 to save time & avoid unnecessary looping around in semi-circles with your stops, here's how:

First, figure out if you can get some HK dollars before leaving, especially if you / friends have access to HSBC (global banking giant) in your hometown or perhaps via Chinese travel agencies locally, as that would make it much easier to buy your Octopus Card in HK on arrival. KTCT has ATM machines, all of the terminals are gradually switching to the use of microchips for the cards - you can get local currencies & pay a nominal conversion/exchange rate to get local money to use for the next 2 days.

One of the biggest challenge for cruise ship pax on a stopover or disembarking @ Kai Tak is transportation - I find it unbelievable that after 2+ years, things are only somewhat better. The berths are under-utilized and making it much more difficult to boost the transportation network - public bus services are only available selectively & not luggage-friendly, unlike the Airporter buses with multiple routes all over the place or the Airport Express train routes. The PMB or Public Muni Bus route assigned costing about $1 USD or so is cheap as it's really a shuttle to the nearest MTR Station, except - those 16 seaters are for commuters & not designed or configured for luggage (ditto for the shopping mall shuttles) ... thus, the cruiselines in partnership with the terminal operator, essentially can dictate your transport options and "encourage" all to use the line's shuttle/transport services; or, stand in the taxi lines (reported as being long, no direct observation or experience)

On one of our return trip to HKG, we stayed at the Metropark Mong Kok just off Nathan Road but I know where the Metropark Kowloon is located - it's a long 6 or 7 ++ blocks to the nearest MTR station, not fun with luggage on a hot & humid day, typical weather. Or, hop on to one of the many buses that past by the hotel & go to TST or whatever - or, try to squeeze onto the hotel's "free" shuttle, which are easily filled to capacity. Go to Google Map & look it up, switch to Earth or ground view to give yourself a preview. It is part of / next to / inter-connected to a multi-story shopping mall with restaurants & shops; and, you will find 7-11 and its equivalent almost every other block or two for basic necessities.

I suggest doing the Chi Lin & gardens on day 2 along with freestyle sightseeing. On day 1 with arrival, your time is limited getting to the hotel - and allow time for a good lunch instead of stopping by a McDonald or KFC or Pizza Hut, etc. From Waterloo Road, there should be a bus route to take you across the harbour to the (Hong Kong) "island" side, and possibly direct to Aberdeen as your 1st. stop - a scenic ride along the way as you will be mostly above ground. From Aberdeen or nearby Stanley, about 10 or 15 minutes away by local buses, you can take a bus up the "backside" of the mountain up to Victoria Peak for that view - weather permitting (check the forecast or else nothing to see if its' foggy or cloudy, etc.) - the Peak Tram is nice, long lines & taxis are known for "sometimes" overcharging unsuspecting visitors. You can take one of the 2 PMB route downhill to Central, dropping you off at the MTR station - which is several blocks to the Star Ferry, across the Victoria Harbour - with plenty of time (even early dinner ??) to catch the 8 PM laser light show. Then, you can stroll to Temple Street & Ladies Market (which, IMHO - isn't worth your time - selling cheap items unless you plan to bring back "gifts" on a budget, don't buy clothing there - we get ours here locally in the US, cheaper & better quality - imported from China. ) Or, just a quick walk-thru on your way back to the hotel.

I will check (and advise) on availability of the Octopus card at the KTCT - as you can use that for MTR, buses and PMB, Star Ferries, and to pay for purchases at McDonalds, 7-11's and many other stores or shops all over town - including pharmacies ... selling bottled water & paper tissues (you will need to bring your own !!! important - as not all toilets have papers)

Day 2 - have an early Dim Sum breakfast, they are open as early as 6 to 7 AM, then head to Chi Lin & the garden, do a late lunch - and have the mid-afternoon & evening free to see other sights, perhaps musuems ?

If you (your group ??) are leaving HKG via the airport, the Airport Express has a complimentary shuttle on a schedule to the Kowloon Station not too far away, so you don't need to take taxis or book airport shuttles - you can do in-town check-ins right in Kowloon & get your boarding passes issued, some airlines can even do it the day before - and it's a fast 25 minutes ride to the airport, and you step off right onto the check-in & public area with shops, moments away from airport security screening and exit immigration/customs checkpoints for your flights. For those with late flights, you can send your luggage ahead first & still have the rest of the time to sightsee & don't need to return to the hotel to retrieve any checked bags with the bell hops.

It's late here in NY, does this sound like a plan B for you - please comment & I will get back to you this weekend with more details, links & routing for the buses, etc. to simplify your logistics.

As for transport, travel time from KTCT to Metropark is 20 to 30 minutes on average and in-town distance not being far, the fare is under $100 HKD or less than $13 USD per taxi, which fits 3 pax + 3 bags (most will seat 4 people, some can squeeze 5 - luggage room is your headache)

Uber does operate locally & it is quasi-legal (or, illegal) but many do use it - using their Apps for on-demand services, but, availability could be a problem at the cruise terminal too. Caution is advised on using them, as are those private-for-hire passenger vans - as those are not regulated & prone to fare abuses. Might want to email Metropark & ask them for a quote if they can arrange for pickup at the terminal to the hotel - for price comparison ...

Edited by mking8288

Thanks again for a very detailed reply. We are on QM2 arriving in HK on March 29th due to berth at 5 am but we were hoping to get off about 9 to avoid the rush and allowing for those needing to get flights to be off first.

10 of us are flying out at 2.50pm on 31st march and the other 2 staying for an extra day. So we have the day we arrive, then the following full day and a couple of hours at the most on the day we leave. Expect we would be leaving our hotel 11am ish for a 2.50 pm flight.

I chose the metropark kowloon for convenience to shops and ladies market and the hotel shuttle but the group are happy for me to change location. I am the organizer of hubby and myself and the others all just decide to do what i do!!! guess its easy for them and they know I am a bit of a planner and always try for the cheapest deal. I am wondering if we booked metropark mong kok would it make it any easier?

I realise the markets aren't worth the effort but I know a few in our group who will feel badly done by to not visit a market.

The reason I was thinking train rather than bus to central was that I thought it would be faster but yes we would happily take your suggestion of bus from waterloo rd to aberdeen. I chose aberdeen just for something a bit more traditional fishing village thing to see, and the boats over to the jumbo restaurant and shops.

We aren't particularly interested in spending time in restaurants would rather grab something to eat from a supermarket and sit watching the world go by. We have all agreed that after 16 days on the ship we will all be needing to eat carefully. The hotel has a bakery and evidently a supermarket across the street.

I have already asked the hotel about transport from port to the hotel, which they are unable to advise other than suggesting a taxi at about 50$HK each taxi. I have done an estimate on a website which tells me $100HK so I am estimating to our group $150HK per taxi (I have told them its approx 150HK per couple, prefer to over rather than underestimate). We are very happy to spend that as it is so very reasonable but its the waiting for hours for the cab that concerns me.

The express train to the airport sounds perfect, they do have a group discount too which works out about half what the hotel charges per person.

Your suggestion of bus up to vic peak sounds perfect.

Do you suggest we skip the rickshaw hop on hop off or will we still be able to do that on day 2 if we go with your suggestions which sound perfect.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Edited by Tara Jane