Anyone been to the Hilton close to the port?

charlie52

We are on the short Disney Dream cruise to the Bahamas with all the kids and Grands in August. We have decided against Atlantis because of the $$ and our Grands are too young (5,4,3,3) to enjoy a lot of it. We are planning to just stay on the ship and enjoy the pool... But after seeing how close the Hilton looks to the port I am wondering about trying to get the family to go there. The beach in the port webcam looks very calm and nice. My 3 year old grand daughter is ALL ABOUT going to the beach and I would be crushed if for some weather reason we couldn't make it to the beach at Castaway the day after we stop at Nassau.

Do they do day passes there? If yes, any idea of $$

Is it as close to the port as the webcam makes it look?

Nice hotel??

Is the beach area as calm and nice as it looks on the webcam?

Food options?

Could we walk it with four very young children?

Or would two cab rides be a better option?

Here's a photo I took from the deck of the NCL Jewel a number of years ago just after we pulled away from the dock in Nassau (at the left). On the right is the beach at the British Colonial Hilton. Yes, it's that close to the docks.

JewelCruiseOct2010431.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

From resortforaday: Adult passes are $60 but include a $40 F&B credit. Children ages 5 and under are complimentary and eat & drink free with a paying adult meal.

Its $60 if you pre-purchase and $65 walk up. Best to pre-purchase as they have been known to sell out

We got rained out but it was an easy walk around the back from senor frogs looked really nice we just had bad luck it is recommended a lot we booked ours thru resortforaday.com

Did you get your deposit back?

Yes full refund when we got home from the trip. we called resortforaday.com and bch had already informed them about the weather. We were not sure if a refund would be available to us because it really wasn't that bad out, and the women at bch laughed and said we want our guest to have a great time not a ok time. I really appreciated that comment because that's what vacation is all about

Yes full refund when we got home from the trip. we called resortforaday.com and bch had already informed them about the weather. We were not sure if a refund would be available to us because it really wasn't that bad out, and the women at bch laughed and said we want our guest to have a great time not a ok time. I really appreciated that comment because that's what vacation is all about

Sorry I have another question.....so you walked over there and then you talked to someone at BCH? Do you have to physically go over to initiate the refund process? If you did walk was it safe and easy?

Yes we walked over, 5 minute walk and I felt very comfortable. The thing to remember is that all the locals rely on you the traveler to come back for them to make a living. And I'm sure we could have called but I'm not willing to pay the phone bill

Thank you!:)

We've been there the past on our past three cruises during Easter. Its always a relaxing day. This past year it was pretty crowded at the pool....we should've tried to get there a bit earlier.

The day pass includes lunch, which is nice. It is an easy walk, the staff is friendly and when we were there it was completely UNcrowded. I suppose that varies by day. In my opinion it would be a good choice with kids that age (mine were 8 and 10 when we went).

We went in June when we were on the Getaway and didn't use Resort for a day, just walked over there and bought the day pass at the front desk. $60 for adults I can't remember what it was for the kids and what the ages were for kids. you get a $40 food and beverage credit. They do not take cash.

We had an incredible day - it was so nice to get into a pool. I don't do pools on cruise ships. Too many people lingering in the pool, way too long with cocktails....it makes me leary. :rolleyes:

The drinks were good and strong - I had a few too many Hemingway Daquiris but it was all good. LrgPizza was back on the ship to save me from myself

The DH is 6-5, 250 lbs and was carrying our beach bag back to the ship - he got pick pocketed, luckily the other couple we were with, spotted it and yelled at the boy. She even got a picture on the kid with his hand our bag.

We are going again in approx 35 days when we are in the Sky. So looking forward to it.

There is a pool and they have day beds outside with the canopies, and the beach - kind of small but it works. It is very relaxing and a short walk, just around the corner from Senor Frogs. You can go onto their site British Colonial Hilton and email them, they are really responsive to your questions and needs. We had a tough time spending our Food & Beverage $ so we gave the rest to our server as a tip.

We were there in October and thought the service in particular was really good. It was not crowded at all. We ordered some food, and each ordered a particular beer, and after a minute the server came back and said they were out of that beer, but offered us another- no big deal, we got a different kind. Then about an hour later she came over with 2 of the first kind, saying they just got their delivery in, and gave them to us for free so we could try them (it was a local one). It was very nice of her. We tipped accordingly of course! We went in the water both in the pool and the beach- the food was good- and the walk is very easy. We didn't have kids with us, so I can't comment on that- but mine would have been fine there since there was a beach AND pool- what else do you need? There are also kayaks free to use.

Thanks for the link to that site! Sounds perfect for us! :)

AlbertaMom - I just came across this answer for you: wifi for $10.99! :)

What's Included:

Accommodations

Motorized sports

Items of a personal nature

Wireless Internet access available for $10.99 for the day

Thanks for the link to that site! Sounds perfect for us! :)

AlbertaMom - I just came across this answer for you: wifi for $10.99! :)

What's Included:

Accommodations

Motorized sports

Items of a personal nature

Wireless Internet access available for $10.99 for the day

Great! Thank you!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

We went there middle of March but since we didn't buy reservation online, they wouldn't let us purchase it at the front desk. Told us they were at capacity. We were permitted to look around. Didn't want to make commitment for medical reasons. So we went across street to the Conch Fritters Bar & Grill and had some good fritters. Our server, David, was very sociable.

Since the ship docks right near the hotel, I saw maybe a total of 6 people in the water but they were filled to capacity. I never saw such an empty lobby and grounds. Well we have good memories of our honeymoon there 45 years ago. Saved $130 so that is a plus.