Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful photos! So, the photo that I think is from Dalsnibba viewpoint...we have rented a car to drive to Dalsnibba..is this the view we will see by driving or is this a photo from hiking somewhere?

We will be in Alesund on 6 May 2014, and have rented a car at 08:00 to drive to Runde Island and see the birds. Then we planned on possibly visiting Sunmore outdoor museum on the return, visit the Aksla hilltop, and walk around Alesund before our cruise ship departs at 21:00.

Please advise the best route to get to Runde Island and whether there is anything interesting to see or visit on the way. Should be return the same way or is there another interesting route back.

Any observations about the time that it will take to do this and then visit Sunmore would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill

Hi Bill,

First I have to say that you most likely will not see the birds at Runde as their habitat are on the cliffs overlooking the ocean.

You might get a chance to spot them when you walk up to the mountain.

The absolute best time to see them are in the spring in the late afternoon/early evening.

I enclose a link with a map of Runde Island.

The bird mountain starts approx. in the middle of the island to the left in the picture.

Its marked in green.

http://torelarsen-foto.net/node/187

Depending on your fitness I would say you would have to hike about 45 minutes to get to the bird mountain.

But, there are no guarantee you will actually see the birds.

Driving to Runde from Ålesund is very easy. You will have to take a ferry but its straight forward.

The best way to get back is to back track. Driving including ferry will take you 2 hrs one way.

Tour map (follow the blue track)

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund/Runde/@62.322504,5.9935819,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!1m5!1m1!1s0x46173cce7b776317:0x7a60f85319e3e750!2m2!1d5.624173!2d62.4006141

dalsnibba_zpsd1d02ee7.jpg

norway4_zps3bed7e99.jpg

norway5_zps9085f7fe.jpg

Beautiful photos! So, the photo that I think is from Dalsnibba viewpoint...we have rented a car to drive to Dalsnibba..is this the view we will see by driving or is this a photo from hiking somewhere?

The first picture is from Mt. Dalsnibba. As long as you jump the fence;) you will get this view.

Just be careful and under no circumstances will I recommend this if you are not in top physical condition.

The first picture is from Mt. Dalsnibba. As long as you jump the fence;) you will get this view.

Just be careful and under no circumstances will I recommend this if you are not in top physical condition.

Thanks..no worries there! Will the drive from Gerainger have many viewpoints or villages to stop at along the way?

Thanks..no worries there! Will the drive from Gerainger have many viewpoints or villages to stop at along the way?

Driving from Geiranger to Mt. Dalsnibba you should stop at the Flydalsjuvet viewpoint. You should also stop at the lake Djupvatnet (There is also a cafe/shop at the lake) situated just before the last climb up to Dalsnibba.

Depending on when you are there the lake could be iced and you should be able to see the glaciers on the side of the mountain.

On your way down to Geiranger you could make a small detour to the farm at Weteraas. Its a very neat place for lunch or a coffee.

Of course Mt. Dalsnibba has its own website:

:)

http://www.dalsnibba.no/index.php?lang=en#

The "lodge" at Djupvatnet also has a website:

http://www.djupvasshytta.no/en/

Driving from Geiranger to Mt. Dalsnibba you should stop at the Flydalsjuvet viewpoint. You should also stop at the lake Djupvatnet (There is also a cafe/shop at the lake) situated just before the last climb up to Dalsnibba.

Depending on when you are there the lake could be iced and you should be able to see the glaciers on the side of the mountain.

On your way down to Geiranger you could make a small detour to the farm at Weteraas. Its a very neat place for lunch or a coffee.

We are planning to drive the Troll Road from Geiranger...is this anywhere near Mt. Dalsnibba? I'm trying to find it on my map, but no luck.

We are planning to drive the Troll Road from Geiranger...is this anywhere near Mt. Dalsnibba? I'm trying to find it on my map, but no luck.

You will drive up the Eagle Rd to Eidsdal towards the Trollroad. Mt Dalsnibba is in the opposite direction

The drive to Dalsnibba takes approx. 30-40 minutes.

The road to Dalsnibba is closed for the winter and will not open before mid May.

Hi

Just found this thread so sorry if this question has been asked/answered already but what is the best time of year to visit Norway,Iceland etc. Hoping to do a cruise to this region next year. Which ports would you consider must do's?

Thanks.

Can you tell me what this says:

BESTILLNINGSBEKREFTELSE 08.03.2015

Bestillingsnummer: 324258

Denne bekreftelse skal bytas til ombordstigningskort i vårt bilettkontor i Geiranger Turistinformasjonen. <br/>Fakturamottager:

Tur:

Dalsnibba/Mountain Highlight Bus 10:00 14.05.2015

Utreise: BUSS

Møtetidspunkt: 09:50 Geiranger turistinformasjon 14.05.2015 kl 10:00

Beregnet ankomst: Geiranger turistinformasjon 12:00

Mountain Highligh Buss tour to Mt. Dalsnibba. Hent ombordstigningskort ved billettkontoret på turistinformasjonen. Gå til buss holde plassen mitt imot Trollet. God tur!

Bestillingsdato: 08.03.2015

Thanks.

Thanks so much!

BESTILLNINGSBEKREFTELSE 08.03.2015...Thanks.

We booked the Dalsnibba Combo tour on 13 May via this English website:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/english

Originally we booked only the bus tour, but when folk on the roll call mentioned doing the combo with a fjord cruise, too, I contacted the company and had prompt email responses from Katrina to enable us to amend our booking to include the boat.

Edited by TMLAalum

We will be in Alesund on May 20th. It's my understanding that we should be booking our rental car in advance, but yet we may not be able to cancel it. You have said that it is touch and go as to whether Trollstigen will be opened yet due to weather since it could open just about any time in May. Since we would be renting the car for this purpose, if we end up with a rental car, but can't get through Trollstigen, do you have a second option that you would recommend to use this rental car for? Thanks for any guidance.

Also, for taking a cruise up the coast of Norway in May, would you recommend a winter jacket? I'm discussing something like a ski jacket along with the rain and layers we will also have with us? Thanks again.

We will be in Alesund on May 20th. It's my understanding that we should be booking our rental car in advance, but yet we may not be able to cancel it. You have said that it is touch and go as to whether Trollstigen will be opened yet due to weather since it could open just about any time in May. Since we would be renting the car for this purpose, if we end up with a rental car, but can't get through Trollstigen, do you have a second option that you would recommend to use this rental car for? Thanks for any guidance.

Also, for taking a cruise up the coast of Norway in May, would you recommend a winter jacket? I'm discussing something like a ski jacket along with the rain and layers we will also have with us? Thanks again.

Last year in mid June I took a warm jacket, a hat, gloves and a scarf. Throughout much of the cruise I used all those items. As you get close to the artic circle, I found it pretty darn cold. Rain gear is also a must bring.

Hi

Just found this thread so sorry if this question has been asked/answered already but what is the best time of year to visit Norway,Iceland etc. Hoping to do a cruise to this region next year. Which ports would you consider must do's?

Thanks.

Hi:) The best time to visit is during the months of June or July.

You will have 24 hrs daylight and stand a better chance of nice weather. (using the term "nice" very lightly:D)

In Norway the must do ports IMO are: Geiranger, Flåm, Ålesund, Bergen, Trondheim.

I think most Iceland and Norway itineraries stops in the main ports in Norway. (Geiranger, Bergen, Flåm)

I never been to Iceland but I would think Reykjavik, Aukyreri are among the most important places.

Lars:)

BESTILLNINGSBEKREFTELSE (booking confirmation) 08.03.2015

Bestillingsnummer (booking number): 324258

Denne bekreftelse skal bytas til ombordstigningskort i vårt bilettkontor i Geiranger Turistinformasjonen. (This confirmation is to be exchanged for a boarding card at our ticket office at Geiranger Touristinformation) <br/>Fakturamottager:

Tur:

Dalsnibba/Mountain Highlight Bus 10:00 14.05.2015

Utreise: BUSS

Møtetidspunkt (meetingpoint): 09:50 Geiranger turistinformasjon 14.05.2015 kl 10:00

Beregnet ankomst (arrival): Geiranger turistinformasjon 12:00

Mountain Highligh Buss tour to Mt. Dalsnibba. Hent ombordstigningskort ved billettkontoret på turistinformasjonen. Gå til buss holde plassen mitt imot Trollet. God tur!

(Pick up your boarding card at the ticket office at the tourist information. Go to the bus stop by the huge statue of a Troll)

Bestillingsdato: 08.03.2015

Thanks.

This is a booking confirmation.

Translation in RED

CathyK2 - you have already gotten a great answer concerning what cloths to bring.

As you are living in New Hampshire I presume you are more used to cold weather then someone from California?

I would dress in layers. Bring a windbreaker, turtleneck, fleece or good quality wool. A hat and scarf does not take up lots of space in the luggage and will come in handy.

Having a back up plan in case Trollstigen is still closed when you visit is very wise.

I will post the opening time as soon as I know. Normally they let us know in mid/late April.

Another very enjoyable trip is to Hjorundfjord and the Hotel Union at a tiny village called Øye.

You will pass thought the stunning valley of Norangsdalen. Its very narrow with high mountains towering on both sides. The nature and quietness is just amazing.

Here is a link to the route:

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund/Hotell+Union+%C3%98ye+AS,+%C3%98ye,+6196+Norangsfjorden/@62.2606437,6.4148046,10z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!1m5!1m1!1s0x461691283bec0f31:0xd83ad051822b53de!2m2!1d6.659717!2d62.193091!5i1

You follow the road E136 and Rd 60 to the ferry pier at Magerholm. Ferry over to Ørsneset (Sykkylven).

Follow the road 60 to Stranda and Hellesylt.

Just after Hellesylt take the Road 655 to Norangsdalen and Øye.

Returning to Ålesund you can back track or do this route:

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Hotell+Union+%C3%98ye+AS,+%C3%98ye,+6196+Norangsfjorden/Volda/%C3%85lesund/@62.3071544,6.0191727,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x461691283bec0f31:0xd83ad051822b53de!2m2!1d6.659717!2d62.193091!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616e4c23cb83b2d:0x1124ee09f465034d!2m2!1d6.0747977!2d62.1452551!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!3e0

Take the road 655 to Sæbø. Ferry Sæbø to Leknes.

Continue on the 655 to the town of Volda. Take the road E39 to the town of Ørsta and the ferry pier at Festøy to Solevåg (Sunde). Continue on the E39 to Ålesund

Ferry schedules:

Magerholm to Ørneset:

http://fjord1.utvikling02.reiseinfo.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/r/15-199_1_2.htm

Sæbø to Leknes:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/15-134.htm

Festøy to Solevåg:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/15-183.htm

These ferries take approx. 15 minutes for the crossing.

All but the Sæbø-Leknes ferry are very busy and very frequent.

I hope this helps you a little.

Lars

Edited by I-Cruiser

Lars, Thank you for the great information. I have saved it so I can pour over the links more closely tonight.

You say that you generally get information in April as to whether the road will be opened or not. Is that still an acceptable time to book a car?

Lars, Thank you for the great information. I have saved it so I can pour over the links more closely tonight.

You say that you generally get information in April as to whether the road will be opened or not. Is that still an acceptable time to book a car?

You are welcome - ask as much as you like:)

Yes, we should know more in April. You can wait and book a car until then. I would think there would be cars available for May 20.

Most car rental agencies normally have a 24 hrs cancellation policy.

Did you say you had a car with no cancellation option?

Lars, No, I haven't tried to book a car. I thought i read earlier in this thread that someone said they were told it was no cancellation, but I could be brain dead from reading all the way back from the beginning, so it is very possible I am in error. I will keep checking this thread for all the wonderful information you give as well as hoping you get details about this road. Thanks again.

I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere on CC but I'm wanting to know if it is best to drive up or down Troll Path from Alesund (we are in port from 8AM - 5 PM) and do we have enough time to drive this route and enjoy it?

I've prepared maps for the round trip drive but no sure which direction to head out.

Thank you for all you wonderful help on these boards.