What to do in Corsica?

sarar

Iwill be visiting Ajaccio, Corsica in May and I am looking for ideas of what to do there or private tour recommendations. Any help gratefully received as I am having a little trouble with this port. TIA

Well, DW and I are quite happy to just walk over to the beach which is located right in Ajaccio. The town itself has some shops and restaurants but not much else to interest tourists. One can rent a car and drive on the large island or take some kind of tour. We once did take a bus tour to the "Calanches" and enjoyed the long bus ride which gave us some nice views of that part of the island.

Hank

Most boring place I've ever been to. Stay on the ship and relax.

You should hear what the Corsicans say about Scotland :). Actually we do think that Corsica is a fascinating island with lots of gorgeous scenery, an interesting island culture, nice beaches (one of which is right in Ajaccio), etc. I guess, like many places in the world, the attitude of the traveler will often determine the quality of the port.

Could not help but notice that Tripadvisor does list 197 Things to Do on Corsica. Their #1 recommendation is visiting the "Calanches" which we actually found quite interesting (and beautiful).

Hank

The cruise critic Ajaccio port guide is very good. Spent a lovely day there a few years ago. Lovely town with interesting museum and great market. They are very proud of Napoleon but speaking from a British point of view never mention his eventual defeat. This is a really excellent place to dock. We were within walking distance of the sights plus shops plus beach.

In September we hope to see more of this lovely island as we are sailing round it on a Star Clipper tall ship cruise. Can't wait.

Please get off the ship, otherwise you will miss a gem.

Hi Hank,

Sorry to disagree - I have used all of your messages and have recently booked our week Provence pre cruise based on your recommendations - but we definitely docked in Ajaccio - I checked on Google maps just in case I was mixing up my memories with another location - but there is actually a cruise ship docked on the satellite view. We were there about six years ago so I guess things may have changed.

Pam

Hi Hank,

Sorry to disagree - I have used all of your messages and have recently booked our week Provence pre cruise based on your recommendations - but we definitely docked in Ajaccio - I checked on Google maps just in case I was mixing up my memories with another location - but there is actually a cruise ship docked on the satellite view. We were there about six years ago so I guess things may have changed.

Pam

You are right to disagree as we have it wrong. There is a pier, but it does appear that the pier can only handle small-medium size ships up to about 700 feet long. So this is another plus to smaller ship cruising (which we enjoy).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We will be visiting on the Caribbean Princess, this a first on this ship. Although i can manage to get in and out of tenders it is easier not to as i am a part time wheelchair user.