Anything Montreal

sebas030

I grew up in Montreal but haven't been back for 25 yrs. now. Could someone tell me please, do the metro stops have elevators available for someone in a wheelchair and are the buses now wheelchair accessible?

Thanks for the help

I grew up in Montreal but haven't been back for 25 yrs. now. Could someone tell me please, do the metro stops have elevators available for someone in a wheelchair and are the buses now wheelchair accessible?

Thanks for the help

Some metro stations have elevators for wheelchair users. Except for a few exceptions, all buses are wheelchair accessible. It is recommended on the STM (Societe de Transport de Montreal) website to use buses with front ramp access.

Detailed info on their website at:

http://www.stm.info/en/access/using-public-transit-wheelchair

Is there a relatively easy way, via transit, to get from the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal to the Mont-Royal cemetery? Or is it better to visit the cemetery via taxi or when we have our rental car? When we have the car, we'll likely have all of our luggage in it. Would that be safe as long as the car/trunk is locked?

Btw, how much snow do you currently have? Still average? Just wondering about the St Lawrence water levels, to ensure we will be able to cruise down from Quebec City in mid May.

Thank you!

We will be there on May 17th (Sunday)

Staying at Springhill Suites so walking distance would be good

Just wondered if we will need reservations for dinner in some places on Sunday of a long weekend??

We do not need a fancy place but something with good food & less than $25 pp would be nice ;)

Comments suggestions

Thanks

Lyn

Just wondered if we will need reservations for dinner in some places on Sunday of a long weekend??

We do not need a fancy place but something with good food & less than $25 pp would be nice ;)

Comments suggestions

Thanks

Lyn

There is a nice bar/restaurant just one block away on the corner (turn left as you exit the hotel). Get a window seat and watch the tourists! Prices were reasonable as I recall. Plenty of other places to dine in the area as well.

There is a nice bar/restaurant just one block away on the corner (turn left as you exit the hotel). Get a window seat and watch the tourists! Prices were reasonable as I recall. Plenty of other places to dine in the area as well.

Okey Dokey

We'll be in Montreal at the same time and same hotel as LHT28, before taking the same cruise. AAA/CAA lists Le Festin du Gouverneur (The Governor's Feast) as an attraction in Vieux Montreal. Is this worth going to, or is it a tourist trap? We have the same question regarding a dinner cruise (if available in mid-May) on le batteau-mouche.

Merci.

We'll be in Montreal at the same time and same hotel as LHT28, before taking the same cruise. AAA/CAA lists Le Festin du Gouverneur (The Governor's Feast) as an attraction in Vieux Montreal. Is this worth going to, or is it a tourist trap? We have the same question regarding a dinner cruise (if available in mid-May) on le batteau-mouche.

Merci.

I cannot give you any advice for Le Festin du Gouverneur since I have never participated to this animated meal. I haven't heard any comments in Montreal about it either.

However, many years ago, meals on the Bateau Mouche did not have a good reputation, especially the chicken. Perhaps things have changed. I would take a look at the reviews on Trip Advisor. You might be better off taking your dinner cruise with Croisieres AML. Never took a meal on their ship, but the daytime guided tour was good.

Thanks. Reviews for the Governor's feast were so-so at best. As for the two boat companies, it appears that neither one offers a dinner cruise until June. I think we'll look again at your Old Montreal dinner recommendations, and try to find a reasonably priced place (if one exists) whose customers are Quebecois, rather than tourists.

We are looking for a restaurant either in Quebec City close to the cruise port or in Montreal close to Sheraton Airport Hotel that serves horse meat steak. Taxi ride distance ok if not too far nor to expensive. Would be nice if menu is in English as we do not speak nor read French. Thanks for any information.

We are looking for a restaurant either in Quebec City close to the cruise port or in Montreal close to Sheraton Airport Hotel that serves horse meat steak. Taxi ride distance ok if not too far nor to expensive. Would be nice if menu is in English as we do not speak nor read French. Thanks for any information.

Can't help with Quebec City - hopefully a local can, I'd love to know a reliable horse resto there myself. Try the Lapin Saute on the way between Upper & Lower city - always several different bunny dishes on the menu and sometimes other game, so while horse is unlikely you'll certainly find some non-mainstream meats.

In Montreal there's one place I know of with horse on the permanent menu - La Salle a Manger - with several others occasionally featuring it (e.g. Joe Beef, Au Pied de Cochon). Aside from LSaM it's much more likely to be on a chalkboard or fresh sheet, so the words to look out for in French are:

Cheval = horse

Poulain (NB: not PoulET - chicken!) = foal, young horse

Gibier = game, a restaurant specifically mentioning this in their name or logo is much more likely to carry horse than most

Personally I think that the best way to try it is as tartare or carpaccio rather than a steak, it's very lean so extremely easy to overcook - even more so than bison or venison. Unless you eat your steak rare or bloody, don't bother - even medium-rare is too cooked for horse IMO.

martincath thank you for the information. I have been doing search online for these restaurants and liked the sound of Joe Beef the best. Tried to make an online reservation and they are all booked up for the May 16 date we will be in Montreal. Will keep trying the other places.

Thanks again,

martincath thank you for the information. I have been doing search online for these restaurants and liked the sound of Joe Beef the best. Tried to make an online reservation and they are all booked up for the May 16 date we will be in Montreal. Will keep trying the other places.

Thanks again,

No problem. If trying horse is a priority for you, I wouldn't make resos beforehand anyway. Copy the phone numbers of the restos and give them a call when you arrive - ask them if they've got any horse available.

I've never been in a Montreal resto that didn't have reasonably-fluent English speakers handling the phones - in fact even when I try speaking French they almost always answer in English.

Comments suggestions

Thanks

Lyn

Hi Lyn

I found this listing a little while ago which may be helpful to you: http://localmontrealtours.com/top-10-old-montreal-restaurants-for-2014/

I don't know if they fit within your $25 budget but one or two might.

Another one I found was: http://www.creperiechezsuzette.com/index_eng.htm which fits mostly within your budget, and, I think, is fairly close to the Springhill Suites.

Hi Lyn

I found this listing a little while ago which may be helpful to you: http://localmontrealtours.com/top-10-old-montreal-restaurants-for-2014/

I don't know if they fit within your $25 budget but one or two might.

Another one I found was: http://www.creperiechezsuzette.com/index_eng.htm which fits mostly within your budget, and, I think, is fairly close to the Springhill Suites.

Thanks for the links

I did see the Creperie :D

How long are you staying at Springhill ..maybe we will see you there on the 17th ;)

Edited by LHT28

Thanks for the links

I did see the Creperie :D

How long are you staying at Springhill ..maybe we will see you there on the 17th ;)

We're there from the 16th to the 18th so I'm sure we'll see each other.

There's also Les 3 Brasseurs: http://les3brasseurs.ca/eng/location?id=6 which isn't far. Since they're also in Ontario, you might be familiar with them. I'm not.

I think we'll try the Creperie for sure, and possibly, Les 3 Brasseurs.

We're there from the 16th to the 18th so I'm sure we'll see each other.

There's also Les 3 Brasseurs: http://les3brasseurs.ca/eng/location?id=6 which isn't far. Since they're also in Ontario, you might be familiar with them. I'm not.

I think we'll try the Creperie for sure, and possibly, Les 3 Brasseurs.

Well if you are in the hotel around 5pm on the 17th there are a group of us meeting from the roll call stop by & say HI

The Brasseurs looks good also

We live in a small town so never have seen them before

Have a good trip & thanks for the links

Lyn

Well if you are in the hotel around 5pm on the 17th there are a group of us meeting from the roll call stop by & say HI

The Brasseurs looks good also

We live in a small town so never have seen them before

Have a good trip & thanks for the links

Lyn

Will do. But I'm sailing on a different cruise line than your group. We're coming in on the Maasdam on the 16th. Although, I could tell you guys about the ports that are on both cruises, if you like, and the water levels in the St. Lawrence!

Will do. But I'm sailing on a different cruise line than your group. We're coming in on the Maasdam on the 16th. Although, I could tell you guys about the ports that are on both cruises, if you like, and the water levels in the St. Lawrence!

Yes I know you are on a different ship just thought it would be friendly meeting after all your advice here ;)

we sail on the 18th

Lyn

Yes I know you are on a different ship just thought it would be friendly meeting after all your advice here ;)

we sail on the 18th

Lyn

It would be lovely meeting you, too, after all YOUR advice here. I'll see what I can do; we're meeting a friend either Sat or Sun and spending the day with her so I don't know what the plans are. If I can meet at 5, I will be there.

I did notice that we only have a few common ports - Quebec City, Saguenay and Sydney. We're planning to go antiquing in Quebec (spent a lot of time there before), and to La Fabuleuse Cultural Show in Saguenay. We haven't decided about Sydney yet; we may take a day off touring there.

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping to the top for the benefit of fellow CC members looking for info about Montreal.

:D

Great! You're back! I hope you can help me with my question below about getting to the Mont-Royal Cemetery, although it looks like we'll be going there with the car after checking out of the hotel. I think we'll take a cab to the car rental, load up and then go to the cemetery and then leave town to do our sojourn in the Eastern Townships. However, should plans change or get delayed, it would still be nice to know if it can be done easily via transit.

Is there a relatively easy way, via transit, to get from the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal to the Mont-Royal cemetery? Or is it better to visit the cemetery via taxi or when we have our rental car? When we have the car, we'll likely have all of our luggage in it. Would that be safe as long as the car/trunk is locked?

Btw, how much snow do you currently have? Still average? Just wondering about the St Lawrence water levels, to ensure we will be able to cruise down from Quebec City in mid May.

Thank you!

The snow is all gone now. :)

I've never taken the bus to get to the cemetary.

It is not too far from old Montreal. Google Maps has a feature called "DIRECTIONS". If you enter the two different coordinates, and then click on the "BUS" icon, it shows you your options to get there and expected duration of the trip.

It lools like it can be done on two busses (#55 and #11), and the transit time is about 40 minutes.

bus.jpg

Are there wine shops near either the cruise port or the Springhill Suites Hotel in Old Montreal? I've been on the SAQ web site; but there are 82 branches in Montreal. Can you help us pin down the closest ones? Also, are the stores open even on holiday weekends (May 16-18)?

Thanks.

Are there wine shops near either the cruise port or the Springhill Suites Hotel in Old Montreal? I've been on the SAQ web site; but there are 82 branches in Montreal. Can you help us pin down the closest ones? Also, are the stores open even on holiday weekends (May 16-18)?

Thanks.

There is a SAQ at the Place D' Armes by the Basillica

Also there is a wine store around the corner from the hotel I think it was in

Bonsecours Market (Marche Bonsecours)

350 St-Paul St E

Edited by LHT28