Britannia Maiden Cruise Review

Solent Richard

We were on the maiden cruise and never had a problem getting on or off, but that may have been because we were never ready to leave the ship the moment that the announcement was made that we could go ashore. We did speak to a few people who were complaining that there had been queues to get off at Gibraltar. The only tender port was Monte Carlo and we were impressed by the efficiency of the tendering, we had to go to the Headliners Theatre to collect a tender ticket and wait to be called, it only took about 15 minutes before we were called even though we were amongst the early leavers, we have waited longer to leave both Azura and Ventura.

The tender operation at Monte Carlo was indeed exceptional. I was on the first tender having been third in the queue for a ticket. All well organised and controlled.

It paid dividends because we managed to reach the Palace before the crowds and the only human in my photograph of the Palace was the ceremonial guard.

As for Gibraltar, there was a minor delay of around 10 minutes while the crew retrieved a safety net that is placed below the gangway - our safety being assured.

Hi Richard, and congrats on a very good review. My wife and I were also on the maiden voyage, and I totally agree with most of your views and comments.

The ship is fantastic, and the outside space enormous with loads of seating.

But I think the theatre is too small, and the seating is wrong. There is a cup holder which cannot hold a cup( and is the reason they currently do not serve drinks in the theatre) and the rows of seats cannot be accessed from either end, so you must get everyone up the get in/out. Also, due to the curved front of the stage, the stage lighting blinds the first five rows.

The entertainment is great, but there is not enough. This is a big ship with lots of people, and they need constant entertainment, particularly when the weather is not too good (as on this cruise).

Someone else commented on not being able to get your bill up on the in cabin system. This system is indeed under used, with scant information and weather info that was dated the day on departure and not updated. However, great selection of in films and tv progs on demand.

Lastly, great onboard WiFi, but at vast cost. This really must be addressed (by all cruise lines) as all passengers have a least one connected device. Its about time this was free (as it is in my local coffee shop).

I am going back on Brittania in August with my Grandkids, so will be very interested in the improvements. Cheers

Good morning Micklen.

Thank you for your kind comment.

I hear what you say on your points raised. However, on the Headliners Theatre aisles not being accessed on the outer sides we cannot have it all ways. Some moaners have complained about the number of seats. Imagine if they took out in the region of 160 seats to accommodate aisles on the outer theatre. P&O appear to be in a no-win situation.

Regarding Internet charges, well I purchased a full package within the first 24 hours and received a 60 minute bonus. That cost £62.00 which was well below the OBC we received and, if calculated in the overall bill, less 10% for Caribbean members.

The wifi was really good in cabins.

I cannot comment on the lighting, we always found a seat in rows 5 - 7.

On the overall evening entertainment programme there were times when we struggled to fit everything in. Having said that, we are avid ballroom dancers and always had a fall back position if other venues were full or had started.

A big thank you for everyone's kind comments. Kinda makes it all worthwhile.

I guess most pictures of the Atrium's Starburst are similar to this...

16911015176_6677d37745_z.jpg

so just out of curiosity I took another view...

16929791616_d72f6d3b0a_z.jpg

Wow - thanks so much. Just wouldn't want to test that view out in a

force 10 ;-)

Great review. We are on board Britannia now and docked in Gran Canaria. Agree with pretty much all the points. Really enjoying the cruise so far and don't have any major complaints at all really.

One thing, you put a red arrow to the ladders up to the 'secret deck'? I think they are service ladders and not for public use.

Thank you for the very helpful review and photos Richard. We set sail on 11th and your review has fuelled our anticipation and excitement. Can I ask what the hairdryer was like with regards to size, power and whether or not you had to keep the power button depressed all the time?

I see that in your review you say "All in all this was an excellent cruise and it would be very difficult to find any valid criticism outside of the ‘minor’ hiccups to be expected on a maiden cruise. "

I have seen many other reviews with a common complaint about the lifts and lack of a central staircase.

How did you avoid this being a problem for you?

Edited by heathcharnock

• 1 month later...