Barcelona HoHo bus

aquilegia

Surprisingly, given that we always DIY, we have never used a HoHo bus, but are thinking of taking one in Barcelona on our forthcoming Med cruise. However, I'm slightly confused as to how they work. I'd assumed they were buses with a commentary and you got off where you wanted, the bus promptly carried on with its journey and you got the next one that came along when you were ready. But on our last cruise when we were in Lisbon, the HoHo buses seemed to be waiting around at various sites quite a bit, more like an ordinary tour bus than I'd imagined. Can anyone explain to me how the Barcelon HoHo buses operate, please?

The Barcelona HOHO buses (there are two companies) are as you describe. You get a headset and plug it in the port for the appropriate language. You get off wherever you want and back on whenever you want. In late June they were running about every ten minutes. We did not have this problem but some reported that at popular sites sometimes the busses were crowded and you had to wait for a second bus.

We were very happy with our decision to use the HOHO.

We bought our ticket at the hotel for 1 - 2 euros less than the street price. We had to exchange the voucher at the Placa Catalunya booth (which was the nearest stop to the hotel). We had read about the hotel vouchers on CC. Not sure if they still do it.

Here is a link to my Barcelona pictures.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures

Loved your photos Mskaufman. We will be in Barcelona late summer and have a choice of an excursion to Girona or one to Montserrat. I saw you went both places. Which do you think would be more interesting and why? It's a hard decision.

Thanks.

We also did hoho on our first trip to barcelonia. We bought 2 day passs ( back in 2006) not sure if multi pass are still available. That being said, we loved it! We saw the entire city, or so we thought. Lol we have been back to barcelonia 3 x's since & have found things we missed... Lol LOVE barcelonia! Last year we went to the amusement park on top of the mountain, views were incredible .

We always stay @ hotel contintal barcelonia, location is great, about 1 block from plaza Catalonia ( where hoho start) & right on LasRamblas. Love sitting on the balconies people watching. Lol not to mention it has always been filled with fellow cruise pax's, last year we had a pot luck cocktail party, everyone bought a snack & we made sangrier with the wine &fruit that's free @ the hotel.

Karen

We have done HOHO buses in loads of cities and thought the one in Barcelona was good value for money. In the winter months there are 2 routes that are included in the price of your ticket and in the summer there is a third route. We just bought our tickets on the bus.

Loved your photos Mskaufman. We will be in Barcelona late summer and have a choice of an excursion to Girona or one to Montserrat. I saw you went both places. Which do you think would be more interesting and why? It's a hard decision.

Thanks.

Thanks

Wow, that is a tough choice. I loved Girona because walking through the Call (old quarter) you really felt like you were going back in time. The crowds were much thinner than the Gothic Quarter in Barcelona. DW loved Montserrat because of the majesty of it all. I guess I would say Montserrat unless there is something particular about Girona that attracts your attention.

• 2 weeks later...

We used the Ho-Ho bus in Barcelona and it was very good.

We bought our tickets on line and just presented the email voucher on the bus to get our tickets, money off coupons, map and head phones.

http://www.bcn.travel/tours/barcelona-hop-on-hop-off-bus-turistic

3 routes to choose Apr-Oct or 2 routes Nov-Mar

or there is

http://www.barcelonacitytour.com/en/?gclid=CNPAtcGer8QCFabHtAodtB0ADA

Both run similar itineries.

HTH

2BACruiser

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I assume our ship will be at one of terminals A through D since its the Allure of the Seas (pretty large).

How do you get to the HOHO bus stop? I read its very close if you are docked at one of the other piers. Can you walk or is there a port shuttle?

Thanks,

Steve

We were in Barcelona in late March, just a couple of weeks ago. We used the HOHO bus and was really happy with the experience. There were two routes and we decided to do both. It was narrated and we too bought tickets at the hotel.

Is it cheaper to buy the tickets online or on the bus? Are the tickets available on the bus or do you have to go to a local tourist office? I know that some hotels offer them but I don't know if the hotel we booked has them. I have seen the tickets for 21.50 EU online.

Is it cheaper to buy the tickets online or on the bus? Are the tickets available on the bus or do you have to go to a local tourist office? I know that some hotels offer them but I don't know if the hotel we booked has them. I have seen the tickets for 21.50 EU online.

You receive a discount when purchasing online.

BTW, from my experience, I have found that the Red HOHO bus is not quite as crowded as the blue.

This is the link to the red bus:

Edited by dogs4fun

You receive a discount when purchasing online.

BTW, from my experience, I have found that the Red HOHO bus is not quite as crowded as the blue.

This is the link to the red bus:

Thank you! I was set on the blue bus but I am reconsidering based on your input.

Approximately what distance is that? I have someone in my group who struggles walking long distances. Thank u!

Hi TSUmom here. I have been researching the same thing and I have read there is a port shuttle that takes you the Columbus statue. One post said 2euro to town and 3 euro back to the ship. They also said it is not a long walk but also not an enjoyable walk....We plan on taking the shuttle and hopping on the HoHo bus but still not sure on which route.

Look forward to meeting you in a few weeks!!

Is it possible to do both routes? There are things on each route that we want to see.

Yes, it is possible to do both routes. Very doable. :)

Check the HOHO website and you will find how long it takes to complete each route (we used the red HOHO). Then factor in the approximate time required for visiting the sights you may wish to see along each route (ex; Sagrada Familia).

TSUmom which HOHO are you planning on taking?

I am leaning toward the red bus - I believe it is Barcelona City tours?

What about you?

It won't be long and all of this planning will be done, we will be there!!

I am leaning toward the red bus - I believe it is Barcelona City tours?

What about you?

It won't be long and all of this planning will be done, we will be there!!

I think we are just going to book tickets for Sagrada Familia for 11:15 ish and figure out the rest later. I'm going to have the red bus stuff handy though - if we decide to do HOHO that's the one I'm leaning to.