Aquar02's Photo Review of the Carnival Dream 3/29-4/5... My first review!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:59 PM.
Louisville
247 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Great review so far. Enjoying it very much.
Thank you for taking the time; keep at it.
TN
67 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
One of my suitcases had arrived at this point, but that was it. I really wanted to try the pasta bar out first, so we headed up that way. The pasta bar is up the stairs that are at the very back of the ship. When you go up the stairs, there is like a hostess stand. You get your menus from her. You give her your cabin number as well. She told us it was to help keep track of who was utilizing the pasta bar.

I ordered linguini with pomodoro and alfredo, zucchini, spinach, and mushrooms, and then a side of bread and a Caesar salad. I think my mom ordered something similar but no alfredo and no Caesar salad. You take your orders up to where they cook the food, and then they give you numbers to put on your table.

The food was really good! I loved my combination. I meant to go back to the pasta bar at some point on our trip, but sadly, I never got around to it.

We ordered pasta to go for my grandmother, and then headed on our way. I stopped at the Red Frog Rum Bar on our way back down. I knew I wanted to get a drink in a Tervis cup, and I heard that they tend to sell out over the cruise. My normal first drink of the cruise (and second, and third, etc….) is a Miami Vice, but I’ve been trying to branch out a little more the last couple of cruises. I tried a Caribbean Colada. It was really good! It’s a twist on the classic pina colada.

We then went back down to my grandmother’s room to take her her food. Then, we were off to explore the ship a little.

We ran into my uncle, C1, and C2 in the lobby, and found out that aunt #2 and her friend had arrived. They had flown in the day of the cruise, which really worried me. I have done that once, and I was stressed out until we got to the terminal. We had suggested to aunt #2 that she fly in the day before, but she said she got the insurance, so they would refund her money. I would be more concerned about missing the trip! We went up to lido and found her. We visited with her for a little bit, and then we decided to go to the spa to take a tour.

The tour was very interesting, and I highly recommend you take it the first day if you have a spa room. They started off the tour by giving us a sample of the various massages they offer. I wish every tour started that way! They also had us enter our names into a raffle. Sadly, we didn’t win. They then took us around to different rooms and explained different services that they offered. We ended the tour with the suites available if you have a spa pass or the spa rooms. We went ahead and picked up our spa bracelets while we were there. You need those to access the VIP rooms of the spa.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ashley

Sailed:
4.2003 Carnival Fascinatio: 4 day Key West & Cozumel
7.2006 Carnival Sensation: 4 day Freeport & Nassau
5.2011 Carnival Spirit: 7 day Alaska Cruise
5.2012 Carnival Imagination: 4 day Key West & Cozumel
7.2013 Carnival Valor: 7 day Southern Caribbean
3.2015 Carnival Dream
TN
67 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by RollTide73
Sorry you had a bad experience sailing out of NO. We didn't have FTTF but it went fairly smoothly I thought. We are sailing the Dream next March. Now I'm questioning if I should bother attempting to get a FTTF. Outside of seating did it speed things up?
Our lines were a lot shorter with FTTF. I think having your room ready right when you get on makes it worth it. I love being able to drop off my bags and enjoy the ship without without carrying around my bags.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ashley

Sailed:
3.2015 Carnival Dream
TN
67 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
We went back to the room to unpack. All of my luggage was there, but my mom was still missing one piece of luggage. She went back up to lido while I finished unpacking. I met up with her when we were done to go to muster. We were in a different station than my grandmother, so we took her to her spot first. Then we headed to the theater where our place was. This was so much nicer than standing on the hot decks outside.

After muster, we headed back up to the room briefly. My mom’s bag still wasn’t there, so we were really starting to get worried. We decided to enjoy sail away and not let it bother us. We had a fairly active roll call on a certain social media site, and the group was supposed to have a meet and greet on the aft at sail away. We made our way to the aft bar. I ordered a Twilight Zone and my mom got a Funship Special. We walked around for a little while, but never saw anyone.

We decided to head back to the main area for some dancing. After we had participated in all of the line dances, we went to the table my grandmother was sitting at. She had a seat with a view and was enjoying watching the sail away. My mom decided to watch it with her, but I still wanted to explore and walk around for a little bit.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ashley

Sailed:
3.2015 Carnival Dream
TN
67 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
I went back to the room to drop a few things off (still no luggage for mom) and then found the “secret deck” on 11.

I watched for a little bit out there, but the wind was pretty chilly. I found the private spa staircase next.

I took it all of the way up to serenity. I knew right then that I was going to love the location of our room! I decided to lay in one of the clamshells and enjoy the view.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ashley

Sailed:
3.2015 Carnival Dream
New Hampshire
1,946 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Keep it coming! I'm sailing on the Dream in October, and I am very much enjoying your review.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~ Cruising Christine ~~~

My past cruises:

#1: Carnival Dream / 10-25-2015 / 7 days / New Orleans, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel ***Halloween Cruise*** Read my review here
#2: Carnival Conquest / 7-2-2016 / 5 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk ***4th of July Cruise***
#3: Carnival Conquest / 7-7-2016 / 4 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Freeport ***Carnival LIVE w/ Trace Adkins*** Read my B2B review here
#4: Carnival Fascination / 11-6-16 / 7 days / San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten ***40th Birthday Cruise*** Read my review here
Indiana
401 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Great review so far!!! Thanks for putting the time in for it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
**Amber**

1/28/2018 Carnival Conquest
4/24/2016 Carnival Conquest
1/3/2016 Carnival Conquest
1/15/2012 Carnival Valor
12/5/2010 Carnival Valor
3/8/2010 Carnival Fantasy
11/7/2009 Carnival Destiny *Platinum Cruise*
2/1/2009 Carnival Pride
3/7/2008
Carnival Inspiration
1/6/2008 Carnival Valor
3/12/2007 Carnival Inspiration
3/2/2007 Carnival Fascination
1/1/2006 Carnival Destiny
1/3/2005 Carnival Imagination
1/3/2003 Carnival Fascination
3/31/2002 Carnival Fantasy

The Netherlands
368 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Great review so far!
I will be sailing on the Dream May next year!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future cruises:
-8 Night Southern Caribbean with the Carnival Vista from Miami -August 2017
b2b
-6 Night Western Caribbean from Miami with the Carnival Vista from Miami -August 2017

Cruises made:
-10 Night Mediterranean with the Carnival Vista from Athens -July 2016

-7 Night Western Caribbean with the Carnival Dream from New Orleans -May 2016

-5 Night Western Caribbean with the Explorer of the Seas from Port Canaveral -February 2015

-7 Night Greek Isles with the Splendour of the Seas from Venice -October 2014.

-7 Night Eastern mediterranean with the Costa Serena from Venice -October 2009.

Mississippi
40 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Sorry you didn't have a good experience at the port of New Orleans. We cruised out of there in January and it was smooth as silk! We are cruising out of there again next week and hope it is just as smooth. We never purchase Faster to the Fun and have always had easy embarkations in New Orleans and New York, but we do get there fairly early.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*Carnival Miracle - 8/2/2011 - Eastern Caribbean
*Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - 9/9/2012 - Bermuda
*Carnival Splendor - 6/26/2013 - Eastern Caribbean
*Carnival Elation - 1/15/2015 - Western Caribbean
*Carnival Dream - 4/26/2015 - Western Caribbean
TN
67 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by cruiser4630
Sorry you didn't have a good experience at the port of New Orleans. We cruised out of there in January and it was smooth as silk! We are cruising out of there again next week and hope it is just as smooth. We never purchase Faster to the Fun and have always had easy embarkations in New Orleans and New York, but we do get there fairly early.

It wasn't a terrible experience necessarily. I just thought it could have been organized a lot better. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise out of there again though. I loved the city, and I definitely want to go back! Have fun on your cruise next week!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ashley

Sailed:
3.2015 Carnival Dream
Iowa
31 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I cannot wait for more of your review! I cannot get enough info about this ship and living vicariously through reviews. My boyfriend and I will be sailing on the Dream in December. It will be his first cruise and my attempt to see if I can enjoy a cruise while in good company. My first two cruises were meh to me. I'm so excited for this one!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Carnival - Carnival Splendor - February 2012 (Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta)
Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - February 2010 (Labadee and Ochos Rios)
Houston, TX
1,681 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Great review so far. I love it when people give a lot of detail regarding their experiences as they vary so much from cruiser to cruiser.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mariner of the Seas 2/19/2012
Carnival Triumph 11/1/2012
Carnival Triumph 11/4/2013
Norwegian Jewel 10/18/2014
Carnival Magic 4/10/16

Gosford Australia
434 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Great photos and interesting comments , thanks for taking the time to post this review.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O UK Oriana 1983
P&O Aus Pacific Sky 2003
P&O Aus Pacific Dawn 2008
P&O Aus Pacific Jewel 2010
Princess Cruises Sea Princess 2012
Princess Cruises Diamond Princess 2013
Carnival Spirit 2014
Pacific Explorer 2017
Mississippi
917 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by aquar02

When we arrived to the port, everything seemed very unorganized. The first thing that I didn’t like was that the welcome aboard pictures are taken before you even go through security. I didn’t like this placement. We ended up not even going over to take a picture. When we got into the room where you check-in and wait, I was even less impressed. Faster to the fun no longer gets to wait in the VIP lounge like we did in San Juan in 2013. I understand that platinum and above feel like they have earned that privilege, and I get that. They have been very loyal customers, but the port was already packed, and a lot of seats had been roped off for wedding parties. There was nowhere to sit. We had to convince them to open up a couple of spots in the roped off area so that we would have a place for my 80-year-old grandmother. They had way too many seats roped off anyways. The final thing I was disappointed in was that I felt like way too many FTTF spots were sold. There were A LOT of us. Every one in our group that had cruised before agreed that it was the most unorganized port we had ever been to.
We normally sail out of NOLA since it's only a few hours from where we live. When we sailed from there in 2013, they had a roped off section specifically for FTTF and there were PLENTY of seats. I hope that they have this straightened around before we sail again in November.

The drop off/pick up part of NOLA can be really hairy...total chaos, but usually once you get inside, it's smooth sailing. And after our experience at FLL last year, I'll take NOLA any day of the week. That port took FOREVER to board and to disembark.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Up Next!

RCCL Liberty of the Seas 9/17/17 Cozumel, Costa Maya & Roatan (Friends' Fall 2017 Cruise)

Sailed!

Carnival Breeze 9/25/16 Belize, Roatan, & Cozumel (Fall 2016 Cruise)
Carnival Dream 11/8/15 Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel (Friends' First Cruise & Birthday Cruise)
Carnival Freedom 8/24/14 St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk (26th Anniversary Cruise)
Carnival Conquest 8/25/13 Montego Bay, Grand Cayman & Cozumel (25th Anniversary Cruise)
Carnival Triumph 09/10 Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel (Week-Long Field Trip)
Carnival Fantasy 06/09 Key West, Nassau & Freeport, Bahamas (Graduation Celebration/Family Vacation)
Carnival Fantasy 08/08 Progreso & Cozumel (20th Anniversary Cruise)
illinois
343 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
We were on this cruise with you! Excited to read from another's point of view we also are at the pasta bar on embarkation day. Love it! Hope you had as great of a cruise as we did!
Kansas
1 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
I was wondering how you booked the Holiday Inn in Metairie Park & Cruise package? Did you just call them directly or go through a travel website such as hotels.com or expedia? Thanks Loving your review!!
TN
67 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Prettyteeth26
I was wondering how you booked the Holiday Inn in Metairie Park & Cruise package? Did you just call them directly or go through a travel website such as hotels.com or expedia? Thanks Loving your review!!

I went through the hotel's website. There's an option for various packages on there. I looked at travel websites first, but the Holiday Inn website was the only place I found the package.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ashley

Sailed:
3.2015 Carnival Dream