Dengue Fever in Brazil

j2ink

A recent BBC news article indicated that the number of dengue fever cases in Brazil (746,000 cases) has increased 235% this year, with more than 50% occurring in Sao Paulo. I tried to find more information about this problem, and how much risk it posed to tourists in Rio and Iguazu Falls, but there is very little that I could find. I’m not sure if it is due to the fear that it will hurt tourism or if the BBC is overstating the problem.

I did a search of the CC website, and I was somewhat surprised that I didn’t find any posts concerning dengue fever – about the possible risks or that any tourists had become ill with it. Does anyone know the current status of this problem in Rio and Iguazu Falls? Is it a problem in tourist areas? Is it a problem all year?

I’ve traveled to yellow fever and malaria zones, so I’m not being paranoid – I’m just trying to determine if I need to have deet on my exposed skin the entire time in Brazil.

BBC News article on May 5

Brazil has registered nearly 746,000 cases of the mosquito-borne disease dengue fever this year with nine states experiencing an epidemic, the health ministry has announced. At 368 cases per 100,000 residents it amounts to an epidemic by World Health Organisation standards, but officials say the outbreak is not nationwide. Relaxed prevention and an increase in home water storage have been blamed. More than half of the cases were in Sao Paulo. The number of cases there - the most populous state - has tripled since last year. Nationwide there have been 235% more cases than in the same period (from January to 18 April) last year.

Remember first of all that bad news sells newspapers, including online ones.

Just how "recent" are the reports (the time period they are taking about)? This is a disease that usually occurs in the Brazilian summer period (December-February).

And yes, I guess there were a higher number of cases in S.P. last summer. That indicates nothing about next summer. Sao Paulo had a major water shortage, so it seems people may have been storing/hoarding water, adding to the usual areas for breeding mosquitoes. Rio's statistics were bandied about in the media several years ago, but not really since. Is this due to the actual statistics or to media interest in bad news?

Most Brazilian towns and cities spray for mosquitoes to prevent their citizens getting sick. Some cities try to "cheap out" on this sometimes. Many cities are older and there are a high number of nooks and crannies where water can get trapped, especially if residents aren't careful about taking care of the area. The government has increased awareness programs in recent years in many places.

The dengue-carrier mosquitoes are active in the morning, according to health officials, which most foreign travelers don't realize.

My impression is that dengue isn't considered such a big deal by most average Brazilians, who at the least know someone who has gotten it--kind of like getting the flu (and usually with similar symptoms).

Do what you feel the need to do in terms of repellent and clothing. You will undoubtedly be sleeping in an air-conditioned or otherwise closed room, an advantage most Brazilians do not have, and most do not use a net either. I myself would rather not wear stinky spray/liquid or long clothing in the extreme heat/humidity, but YMMV.

Also...the biggest caveat for tourists is to know the symptoms. Because you probably wouldn't come down with dengue until after you get home. U.S. doctors wouldn't think about a tropical disease unless you specifically tell them you've been traveling.

Okay, thanks for the information. I also hate to have deet smeared all over myself, and that's why I asked the question.

For what it's worth, the BBC news article is only two weeks old, and it includes information from January to April of 2015. I think it was distributed in the states as an alert by a travel service.

Okay, thanks for the information. I also hate to have deet smeared all over myself, and that's why I asked the question.

For what it's worth, the BBC news article is only two weeks old, and it includes information from January to April of 2015. I think it was distributed in the states as an alert by a travel service.

So it's old info about last summer.

Figures, the press making a big deal over something that's over and done with. What it's worth, IMO, is nada. And someone who knows nothing about Brazil at some so-called travel service decides to fill some space on their site. I'd avoid the rest of their services, if that's an example.

When did you say you were traveling, anyway?

Y'know, I've been going to Brazil yearly for a couple of decades, lived in a fairly rural area, always carried 100% Deet, and don't think I ever used it-- maybe some regular Cutters or something similar occasionally.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I'm planning to be in Iguazu Falls and Rio in August. One of my original questions was whether the mosquitoes were worse in the summer than in the winter. It seems as though the weather is warm enough so there wouldn't be much variation, especially in Rio, but I don't know, so that's why I asked.

Regarding the age of the information in the BBC news story, I suppose you could argue that it covers the past summer, but April 2015 was only three weeks ago, so there probably is no more recent information available.

Here's an article (dated April 5) from Globo, the principal news agency in Brazil. It says that for the first 15 weeks of 2015 (for which they have statistics), cases were up from 2014, but down about 40% from 2013.(There was a lot of rain in 2013, and in Rio, cuts/late starts in the spraying program.)

http://g1.globo.com/bemestar/dengue/noticia/2015/05/brasil-tem-7459-mil-casos-de-dengue-no-pais-ate-18-de-abril.html

Fatalities in Brazil often come from the poor, whose neighborhoods may also have more mosquito breeding problems, ignoring symptoms until too late, because the health care system is so ponderous to deal with (losing days of work to wait in lines).

Dengue is quite seasonal i.e. rain/rainy season. But summer in Rio can be in the 90sF and winter in the mid-60sF, so there is indeed variation.

In August ( winter), in Rio and Iguacu, a tourist shouldn't have much cause for concern.

As I mentioned, understand clearly what the symptoms are so you can seek help in a timely manner if needed.

Edited by VidaNaPraia