Las Caletas Hideaway Puerto Vallarta

Perini3

Your right the reviews Are good.....BUT... For 2 people THATS about $200 for food and drink and beach, for the day. You can go to the south side beach of PV, and do the same for $50, if not less. Also , when we were there, kids all over,screaming and yelling. Once was enough.

We have been there about a dozen+ times over the last 15 years.

It has a few things that are very important to some people and may seem overpriced to others. It has a very calm, swimable beach. It has NO beach vendors trying to sell you their junk. Unlimited quantity, but limited variety bar. A full, freshly made buffet lunch. Non-powered beach toys & snorkeling gear available. Additive cost spa services, zipline/activity area for the kids under 11. Nature trails. Door-to-door transportation from the ship to the excursion site on the south side of Banderas Bay.

If any of these are important to you, than this is a good deal. We alway go there when we have guests.

If you're a solo or just a couple looking to spend a day on the beach with your toes in the sand, a cold beverage in your hand and food on the table next to you . . . skip Caletas and head for Los Muertos Beach on Vallatra's south side. You will have to put up with the beach vendors and there is a little hustle 'n bustle but you will experience a lot more for a lot less $$$'s. (There is a misperception out there that the food & drink is less safe away from a ship's excursion. This is not true. Ten of thousands of US & Canadian tourist eat 'n drink their way across Vallarta every day without issues and we are amongst them!)

Enjoy!

If my husband and I want get off the ship and just start walking, are there beach type bars in walking distance in PV? We really just want to have a drink or two, some food and maybe a beach massage, swim or parasail. Is this in walking distance?

Your best chance is Krystal Hotel, about 10 minutes walk from the port. I think you need reservations there for massages, by showing your cruise card hey usually offer free use of their pool. Of course you need to buy drinks and/or food there. Sometimes outside vendors offer para sailing.

I checked on the Krystal web site today. Looks really nice. Since our ship is over night in PV, I checked on what an over night, all inclusive cost would be. A room for two, all inclusive is $118 with check in at 3pm(our ship arrives at noon) and check out at 11am(our ship leaves at 3). Almost sounds fun to walk from the ship to the resort and stay for the whole night. All food, drinks and lodging for the cost of one excursion. Has anyone ever done this? I realize that I am paying for lodging and food on the ship but what an adventure!

OP, I have been to Las Caletas twice. It is very nice. In addition to what others have said, I really enjoyed the boat ride down with the sights like Banderas Bay, etc. It's fun. Pricey yes. But, if the price is ok with you, give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

The beach was not calm when we went a few weeks ago. It was so rough and rocky I gave up trying to Snorkel. Plus there was a huge wait when we got there because they had photographers holding up the line. Would nor go there again,although the entertainment on the boat was wonderful

Warning. The drinks that are free on the boat snd the beach were terrible. Watered down with little alcohol or mix. They all tasted like colored water

Edited by oskidunker

We plan to do this excursion when we are in PV. Our ship (NCL Sun) will be docked in PV overnight. I noticed on Vallarta Adventures website, they offer the "Las Caletas" day tour and the "Rhythms of the Night" evening tour. For those that have been would you recommend going to the evening tour for the show itself vs. the day tour? Both sound appealing. The day tour would be nice for swimming, relaxing on the beach, nature trails, zip line, etc., sounds like a lot of variety of things to do during the day. But I would love advice on the evening tour about the show and if it would be worth it to see that instead.

On our last Mexican Riviera cruise Las Caletas was our favorite stop of the entire cruise. My wife absolutely loved her day there and I have to admit that I had a great day as well. The next time we have a cruise that ports in Puerto Vallarta we will probably spend the day at Las Caletas again.

...I noticed on Vallarta Adventures website, they offer the "Las Caletas" day tour and the "Rhythms of the Night" evening tour. For those that have been would you recommend going to the evening tour for the show itself vs. the day tour?...

I went to Rhythms of the Night at night. It was wonderful! The show is fantastic and the romantic candle lit dinner after is wonderful. I didn't know they offered Rhythms of the Night as a day tour, but I would strongly suggest doing the night show.

• 5 weeks later...
We plan to do this excursion when we are in PV. Our ship (NCL Sun) will be docked in PV overnight. I noticed on Vallarta Adventures website, they offer the "Las Caletas" day tour and the "Rhythms of the Night" evening tour. For those that have been would you recommend going to the evening tour for the show itself vs. the day tour? Both sound appealing. The day tour would be nice for swimming, relaxing on the beach, nature trails, zip line, etc., sounds like a lot of variety of things to do during the day. But I would love advice on the evening tour about the show and if it would be worth it to see that instead.

Definitely do the night tour - it's harder to schedule, so if you have the chance - DO IT! We have been to Las Caletas 3 times so far, just as a couple. Yes it is pricey, comparatively, but we feel it is definitely worth it. The lunch/dinner buffet is wonderful, and the servers are very attentive. We have found some wonderfully secluded areas on the coast at the ends of the beaches - hammocks and loungers a-plenty. If you keep going to the right, there is an adults only area, so no screaming kids. There is a server there, who was willing to go off and get me some sangria any time I wanted it. I'm just sad that none of the cruises we have taken so far have allowed us to go to the Rhythms of the Night - so far. Eventually we will go.