My Dream Review...and I took LOTS of pics!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:37 PM.
Paris IL
1,762 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by bluejay555
We drove from Missouri to Hammond, LA on Saturday and stayed at the Hampton Inn. It took about 10 hours...way longer than google maps claims! They don't factor in traveling with little girls. Sunday morning we had an hour drive into NOLA. We got to the port about 11am and were on the ship around noon. It was crowded but they move you through quick at that port. I've always been impressed with their efficiency. I parked at the Erato Street garage and it was $16 per day.
Looking forward to the review. We are sailing on the Dream in January. We usually drive to NOLA from here in Central Illinois. Drive to Brookhaven MS (about 9-10 hrs), which leaves us a leisurely 2 hour drive to the Fulton Garage ($8 per day for rooftop parking). Don't mind the drive, except for I55 in Arkansas - first 10-15 miles is horrendous
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, as they SHOULD be... "An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications" - Lazarus Long Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional.....
942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by portlandpete
Your girls are adorable! Can't wait to read the rest of your review and see your photos because the Dream is our next cruise!
Thank you!

OK, just got home from Sara's (my 10 yr old) softball game and want to keep reliving my cruise through this review ....where did I leave off... oh, our first night in the dining room. I took pics of all the good food we ordered so you'll either be grossed out or really hungry after I'm finished!

Flat iron steak. I gotta say, this was consistently good. The last 2 cruises it was hit and miss. My 8 yr old, Josie, orders this every single time we eat in the dining room, and the last 2 cruises it would be perfect one night, and dried out and tasteless the next. This time, it was done to perfection every time.

This was pretty good. Why can't I remember the name of this cut of beef?? Oh well

Of course! Gotta order this or it wouldn't be a Carnival cruise!

After dinner, we watched caught part of the SpongeBob Movie up on the Lido deck at the Seaside theater. Just an FYI, you can now rent blankets during the movies from the towel stand. I had no idea! They were super warm and fuzzy. Weird for a tropical cruise, but it felt cold out there!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Dream, 2016: Roatan, Belize, Cozumel
Carnival Dream, 2015: Roatan, Belize, Cozumel
Carnival Dream, 2014: Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Carnival Elation, 2013: Progreso, Cozumel
Carnival Conquest, 2012: Roatan, Belize, Cozumel
Carnival Triumph, 2010: Key West, Nassau, Freeport
Carnival Conquest, 2004: Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Carnival Inspiration, 2002: Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Roberta Rader
Can't wait to read the rest of your review. We are also from the St. Louis area and driving down to NOLA in August to board the Dream.
Cool! I wish we were driving down again in August I'm already ready to book another one!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
After the movie, we returned to our cabin to find our first towel animal! Yay!

And here is our free water and my drink coupon waiting for us. I also ordered the 12pk of water for $2.99 and that worked out great. I was watching people struggling to haul their water onboard thinking my $2.99 was money well spent! Oh well, after July, no one will be struggling with water bottles

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We had to decorate our door before bed! The kids picked out some stuff at the dollar store and I bought a hook and some putty to hang it. Turned out cute!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We woke up the next morning to a rainbow! It rained just about every night during our cruise, and all morning while in Belize, but every day was dry. The water was really rough the entire week. Luckily no one in my group gets seasick, so it didn't bother us any! Although it took me 2 days to get my "land legs" back. Any time I sat down, I felt like I was swaying. I've felt that a little before, but never for 2 days!

Now, my mom is an early bird. She would order coffee to be delivered between 6-6:30am every morning, then I would get up and we would sit on the balcony, drink our coffee, and let the girls sleep another hour or so. It was so peaceful! I don't enjoy cruising without a balcony since that is one of my favorite parts of the whole experience! And I gotta say, the room service is awesome. We'd fill out our card, put it on the door knob the night before, and someone would show up the next morning in the time frame we requested with our coffee.

So OK, seaday #1. Breakfast time!

and of course ice cream...my kids went a little nuts with the ice cream
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Memphis Area
800 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I will be sailing with my sister in October so I am very excited to see all of your photos. We are both retired teachers. Will we look silly at the Dr. Suess breakfast ??? We thought it might be fun. We can both have a lot of fun with small things. Where there any adults without kids at the breakfast? Did people dress up?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Valor December 2016
Carnival Dream August 2016
Carnival Dream October 2015
Carnival Dream August 2015
Carnival Glory June 2013

Ecstasy October 2011
Triumph October 2010
Freedom June 2009
Fantasy January 2009
Monarch of the Seas December 2008
Fantasy September 2007
Fantasy June 2007
Holiday March 2007
Conquest October 2006
Elation October 2005
942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We spent most of our sea days at the pool or slides. The slides are awesome! The Dream is such a great ship for kids. My 68 yr old mom went down the racing slides over and over, and even tried the twister, which is the big one. She hated that lol But what a trooper to go down those racing slides with the girls! I had fun on all the slides, even the dreaded "drain pipe". When you are climbing the stairs to get up to them, the wind is so strong it feels like it's just going to blow you right off the ship. In fact, now that I think about it, the big slides were closed the first sea day due to high winds. They were open the rest of the cruise though. Oh, and beware....if you go down the big slides on a sunny day, the deck and stairs are so hot they will burn your feet. I started up the first set of stairs and had to turn around and run back, and little group of people who had done the same thing, called me over to huddle with them in a shadow they'd found. There were people who said they had blisters on the bottom of their feet from going up there with no shoes. You can wear flip flops and then hold them when you go down the slide...I found that out after the "incident"!

There's a really cute area for toddlers

the aft pool was smaller, but nice to change things up when we got bored, or the main pool was getting too rowdy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by pink roses
I will be sailing with my sister in October so I am very excited to see all of your photos. We are both retired teachers. Will we look silly at the Dr. Suess breakfast ??? We thought it might be fun. We can both have a lot of fun with small things. Where there any adults without kids at the breakfast? Did people dress up?
My mom is a retired teacher and I'm a teacher! You will NOT look silly at the breakfast. There were lots of people there without young kids. It's for everyone! I made shirts for my girls and I only saw a handful of other people with special Seuss outfits. You should definitely go to the breakfast. I will be posting a bunch of pics of it, so stay tuned!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Albuquerque NM
1,307 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by pink roses

MEH!

You are in vacation, go have fun!! When we were on the Allure of the Seas, we did the Dreamworks character breakfast with the characters from Madagascar and had a blast! Our son btw slept in and did not go, oh well we love the pics we took with them, we are considering this one as well!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Just Survive Somehow"

942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
A few more pics of the slides. I don't have a waterproof case for my camera, so I took a ziplock bag with me up the slides, took my pics, then stuffed my camera in the ziplock, then held it going down the slide.

Hot tub time! There are 2 by the aft pool, and several on deck 5, I think?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by RaiderFaninNM
Looks like you had fun, so how did the pics come out with the camera in a baggie?
I took the pics, THEN put the camera in the baggie so I could take it down the slide I would love to get a waterproof case. Maybe next time....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

942 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Coming up next....tea time! We love teatime! And then the Dr. Seuss parade and story time. I will post pics after while. Gotta go get my kid from softball camp. Thanks for checking out my review so far!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Albuquerque NM
1,307 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I took the pics, THEN put the camera in the baggie so I could take it down the slide I would love to get a waterproof case. Maybe next time....
Awww, as the last cruise we went on I bought a water proof type baggie that did its job but the pictures were not the best, it did work.

Coming up next....tea time! We love teatime! And then the Dr. Seuss parade and story time. I will post pics after while. Gotta go get my kid from softball camp. Thanks for checking out my review so far!!
Thanks for sharing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Just Survive Somehow"

Arkansas
46 Posts
Joined May 2015
I am loving your review so far. We are sailing on the Dream in Sept. We can't wait!!! It is our first cruise. I look forward to the rest of your review.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Georgetown, Kentucky, USA
2,189 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Great review so far! We will be on the Sept 27th sailing of the Dream and can't wait! We are driving down to NOLA from Georgetown, KY. It's about 750 miles from here, but we're stopping along the way. Going to spend a day sightseeing in the "Big Easy" after checking in our hotel.

Bill
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHALE TAIL CLUB (Unofficial Grand Marnier Souffle' Connoisseur)
'95 Fantasy
'97 Ecstacy
'99 Destiny
'00 Paradise (Canceled due to mechanical issues)
'01 Triumph
'01 Imagination (Family cruise)
'02 Inspiration

'04 Adventure of the Seas
'04 Rhapsody of the Seas

'05 Victory
'05 Elation
'06 Glory (PLATINUM MEMBER now)

'07 Liberty
'08 Freedom
'09 Fascination
'10 Fantasy
'12 Spirit (15-day to Hawaii)
'13 Fantasy (Family Cruise)
'14 Pride
'15 Freedom (Retirement Celebration Cruise)
'15 Dream
'16 Valor
At Sea Count: 130 Days!!!
East Tennessee
38 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Thanks for the review. We are going on the Dream for the first time next week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
TennLee

Sailed on...

Carnival Inspiration (1996, 2007, 2017)
Carnival Celebration (2006)
Carnival Holiday (2008)
Carnival Fantasy (2008, 2016)
Carnival Elation (2010, 2015)
Carnival Fascination (2012, 2013)
Carnival Imagination (2013, 2013)
Carnival Conquest (2015)