December 2013 cruise review with many pictures

scubacruiserx2

• 1 year later...
We just returned from a 14 day cruise on the HAL Zaandam from Santiago to Buenos Aires. All we can say is WOW ! We will review the ship , the ports and be glad to answer any and all questions. And of course pictures :)

Hi,

I just stubbled upon this review while researching cruises to SA.

Wow, wow, wow, your photos are truly spectacular and I loved your blog.

Thank you so much for sharing...

My husband and I are looking at one of these round the horn cruises for early 2018 and can't decide between the various cruise lines, we're thinking we might go BA to Santiago. We've cruised with Princess & Celebrity before but not HAL, but I'm wondering if the smaller HAL vessel would be better for this trip, the itineraries look identical but I'm not sure if they are.....I really liked that you got to cruise Beagle Channel in the daylight too. Any thoughts and observations would be greatly appreciated.

We're planning to have a few days in Torres del Paine prior to the cruise - it's been a bucket list item for some time and I'm not sure one day would be enough for me. If only we could be so lucky as you with the weather I also love the idea of having time in El Calafate & El Chalten.

Again, thank you for your wonderful post.

Since this thread has been recently bumped up, I wanted to thank you again for your wonderful review! :) It is because of your photos of the Perito Moreno Glacier that my 2-week cruise eventually turned into a 6-week trip. :D I considered going to El Calafate on my own, then looked at tours to Patagonia. I chose a 15-night tour with OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) that went to BA, Bariloche, Puerto Varas, Chiloė Island, Torres del Paine, and El Calafate! I was in Argentina for a week before my land tour started, so I spent 2 nights in BA, 2 at Iguazú Falls, and 3 in Salta. It was a fabulous trip! :)

Since this thread has been recently bumped up, I wanted to thank you again for your wonderful review! :) It is because of your photos of the Perito Moreno Glacier that my 2-week cruise eventually turned into a 6-week trip. :D I considered going to El Calafate on my own, then looked at tours to Patagonia. I chose a 15-night tour with OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) that went to BA, Bariloche, Puerto Varas, Chiloė Island, Torres del Paine, and El Calafate! I was in Argentina for a week before my land tour started, so I spent 2 nights in BA, 2 at Iguazú Falls, and 3 in Salta. It was a fabulous trip! :)

Wow, what an amazing trip you had! Can I ask which cruise company you went with and which direction?

I love the idea of your post cruise tour too, sounds fantastic.

Wow, what an amazing trip you had! Can I ask which cruise company you went with and which direction?

I love the idea of your post cruise tour too, sounds fantastic.

We were on the Star Princess in late Feb. 2016 - from Buenos Aires to Valparaíso. As it was the last Around the Horn cruise of the season, the majority of the people on our roll call stayed on the ship for the 17-night cruise back to Los Angeles.

All of the land travel was before the cruise.

We were on the Star Princess in late Feb. 2016 - from Buenos Aires to Valparaíso. As it was the last Around the Horn cruise of the season, the majority of the people on our roll call stayed on the ship for the 17-night cruise back to Los Angeles.

All of the land travel was before the cruise.

That's almost identical to the trip we are planning....Emerald Princess departing BA 28th Feb 2018 with a pre cruise trip that includes Torres del Paine, El Calafate( maybe El Chalten also), Bariloche, Iugazu Falls & Rio before arriving in BA for the cruise.

Our TA is holding a cabin that I'm supposed to pay the deposit on this morning but all weekend I've been umming and ahhing if we're doing the right thing going with Princess instead of HAL? We've never cruised on HAL but I just wondered if the smaller ship through the Chilean Fjords would be better.....How did you find your Princess Cruise?

Thanks so much for your info, its great to be able to chat to someone who's done what we're planning!

That's almost identical to the trip we are planning....Emerald Princess departing BA 28th Feb 2018 with a pre cruise trip that includes Torres del Paine, El Calafate( maybe El Chalten also), Bariloche, Iugazu Falls & Rio before arriving in BA for the cruise.

Our TA is holding a cabin that I'm supposed to pay the deposit on this morning but all weekend I've been umming and ahhing if we're doing the right thing going with Princess instead of HAL? We've never cruised on HAL but I just wondered if the smaller ship through the Chilean Fjords would be better.....How did you find your Princess Cruise?

Thanks so much for your info, its great to be able to chat to someone who's done what we're planning!

I also debated between HAL and Princess, and posted about it on this thread. The HAL itinerary I almost chose had an extra day of scenic sailing, but it didn't go to Puerto Madryn. On our Princess cruise, I don't recall much in the way of fjords cruising - just the sailing around Cape Horn and Amalia Glacier. Of the 6 cruises the Star Princess did this past season, ours (on Feb. 29) was one of two (I think) that made all its ports. However, we were late arriving into Punta Arenas because of a late departure the day before from Ushuaia - due to high winds.

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from a 14 day cruise on the HAL Zaandam from Santiago to Buenos Aires. All we can say is WOW ! We will review the ship , the ports and be glad to answer any and all questions. And of course pictures :)

Hi,

I just stubbled upon this review while researching cruises to SA.

Wow, wow, wow, your photos are truly spectacular and I loved your blog.

Thank you so much for sharing...

My husband and I are looking at one of these round the horn cruises for early 2018 and can't decide between the various cruise lines, we're thinking we might go BA to Santiago. We've cruised with Princess & Celebrity before but not HAL, but I'm wondering if the smaller HAL vessel would be better for this trip, the itineraries look identical but I'm not sure if they are.....I really liked that you got to cruise Beagle Channel in the daylight too. Any thoughts and observations would be greatly appreciated.

We're planning to have a few days in Torres del Paine prior to the cruise - it's been a bucket list item for some time and I'm not sure one day would be enough for me. If only we could be so lucky as you with the weather I also love the idea of having time in El Calafate & El Chalten.

Again, thank you for your wonderful post.

Hello Cathy , and thank you for the kind words . With any of the 3 cruise lines HAL , Celebrity or Princess , we're sure that you'll have a great time in this beautiful area of the world . Once again , those are our favorite cruise lines but , who's the best fit for you ?

Have you been to , or considered Antarctica ? The Infinity goes there on February , 18th . That's one that we would also consider if we were there at that time . It is the Summer and the cruises only go a couple of times a year . In that region the weather is always changeable , but probably most stable then , making Antarctica both doable and affordable . :) :D

Thank you Nancy for the OAT reference and it sounds like you had a great adventure ! :cool:

We would love to return and maybe do a land based trip like you did and/or a trip to Antarctica ! But for the time being , I'm still reviewing our recent Baltic cruise on the Eclipse ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2372103 ) . And in May we have Alaska planned , and we would love to spend about a 6 week visit / cruise to Australia and New Zealand , in the future !

Hello Cathy , and thank you for the kind words . With any of the 3 cruise lines HAL , Celebrity or Princess , we're sure that you'll have a great time in this beautiful area of the world . Once again , those are our favorite cruise lines but , who's the best fit for you ?

Have you been to , or considered Antarctica ? The Infinity goes there on February , 18th . That's one that we would also consider if we were there at that time . It is the Summer and the cruises only go a couple of times a year . In that region the weather is always changeable , but probably most stable then , making Antarctica both doable and affordable . :) :D

We have actually booked the HAL cruise departing Valparasio on Jan 28th 2018 which does cruise to Antarctica......So we are on same the line of thought with you regarding Antarctica!

Your photos from your trip to SA were gorgeous, hopefully we will be lucky enough to have nice weather too.

We have recently returned from a Baltic cruise on the Silhouette. We were unable to make port on our first day at St Petersburg and it rained all day the following day, but we were able to make the most of it and see quite a bit - just didn't get to Peterhoff or St Catherine's Palace......We did luck out with weather in Norway afterwards though, the day we arrived in Geiranger was 27C and beautiful blue skies - a sight to behold that for sure. Weather certainly makes an impact.

We have actually booked the HAL cruise departing Valparasio on Jan 28th 2018 which does cruise to Antarctica......So we are on same the line of thought with you regarding Antarctica!

Your photos from your trip to SA were gorgeous, hopefully we will be lucky enough to have nice weather too.

We have recently returned from a Baltic cruise on the Silhouette. We were unable to make port on our first day at St Petersburg and it rained all day the following day, but we were able to make the most of it and see quite a bit - just didn't get to Peterhoff or St Catherine's Palace......We did luck out with weather in Norway afterwards though, the day we arrived in Geiranger was 27C and beautiful blue skies - a sight to behold that for sure. Weather certainly makes an impact.

Congratulations on your cruise ! We really did enjoy the HAL experience . And the weather , like in the Baltics will probably change dramatically during the cruise , so be prepared !

We're sorry to hear that you missed Peterhoff but we skipped Catherine's intentionally . Did you miss both the day and night in SPB ?

Your booking has got us looking at Antarctica , and our eyes are on this prize !

3222d538-17a5-4a31-ae01-907c8affa8cc_zpsft4lmxi2.jpg

seabourn201_zpsvsq0gbml.jpg

They make shore landings in zodiacs and spend a week in Antarctica !

553ef0c6-bc59-4355-9f15-5149caee951c_zpsqsbmt8va.jpg

P. S . Bring lots of money !! :eek:

Congratulations on your cruise ! We really did enjoy the HAL experience . And the weather , like in the Baltics will probably change dramatically during the cruise , so be prepared !

We're sorry to hear that you missed Peterhoff but we skipped Catherine's intentionally . Did you miss both the day and night in SPB ?

Your booking has got us looking at Antarctica , and our eyes are on this prize !

They make shore landings in zodiacs and spend a week in Antarctica !

P. S . Bring lots of money !! :eek:

Wow......When are you thinking about this cruise? Will certainly look forward to your review!!

We will be on this cruise (Seabourn Quest) Dec 19- Jan 12 Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. It is the only Seabourn itinerary that includes South Georgia Island, which all of my friends who have been to Antartica said was the highlight.We have cruised entirely on Seabourn for the last 15 years and cannot say enough about the wonderful ships and personal service. We have some friends going with us so we have made private tour arrangements for Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas and Ushuaia. We are flying into Chile well before the cruise to spend a week hiking in the Torres Del Paine (we are staying at the cool looking EcoCamp) and a few days in Easter Island. Anyway, now that our planning is almost complete and all of our cold weather gear has been purchased, all we have to do is wait 3 1/2 months!!! I will report back. But if you have any questions about Seabourn itself please ask.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be on this cruise (Seabourn Quest) Dec 19- Jan 12 Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. It is the only Seabourn itinerary that includes South Georgia Island, which all of my friends who have been to Antartica said was the highlight.We have cruised entirely on Seabourn for the last 15 years and cannot say enough about the wonderful ships and personal service. We have some friends going with us so we have made private tour arrangements for Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas and Ushuaia. We are flying into Chile well before the cruise to spend a week hiking in the Torres Del Paine (we are staying at the cool looking EcoCamp) and a few days in Easter Island. Anyway, now that our planning is almost complete and all of our cold weather gear has been purchased, all we have to do is wait 3 1/2 months!!! I will report back. But if you have any questions about Seabourn itself please ask.

WOW , your trip sounds amazing - a dream come true , so :

088fadd9-dc1c-4fc8-9182-aa580088bc98_zpsgahtrg31.png

We hope that you enjoy your trip , take lots of photos , and please share them with us ! For us , Antarctica and Seabourn would be a once in a lifetime trip , so we would love to learn more about them and your trip . :) :D

Yes, I can't tell you how excited we are. Especially after seeing all of the great photos posted on this thread and hearing the stories of our friends who did this cruise. I will report back. Here is a photo a friend of mine took from the White a Continent.IMG_1472218571.147668.jpg.53410389d0812318ef3ba9dab4f3239c.jpg

Yes, I can't tell you how excited we are. Especially after seeing all of the great photos posted on this thread and hearing the stories of our friends who did this cruise. I will report back. Here is a photo a friend of mine took from the White a Continent.[ATTACH]393051[/ATTACH]

That's a remarkable photo to see the penguins and the ship , in the same photo !

Otway Sound near Punta Arenas , and Punta Tombo near Puerto Madryn , are an hour or more on a bus to see the penguins !

• 2 weeks later...
Stunning photography Joe.:D

Thank you Mic !

Have finished the reading the review and loving all the photos, a marvellous thread on a fantastic trip. Cheers again.:D

And thanks for reading the review . It was my favorite trip for scenery and we some great light for photos . :) :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Scubacruiserx2:

We recently ran into this thread and were totally floored by it. Your pics are amazing and your commentary is on point. This has to be one of the most descriptive cruise journals we have ever seen. Well done and we look forward to your future trips.

Z and TB

Scubacruiserx2:

We recently ran into this thread and were totally floored by it. Your pics are amazing and your commentary is on point. This has to be one of the most descriptive cruise journals we have ever seen. Well done and we look forward to your future trips.

Z and TB

Thank you for your kinds comments and we're glad that you enjoyed this beautiful area also . We are planning to visit this area again and would love to see Antarctica and spend more time in Patagonia ! :cool:

b2bb449f-18f0-4d40-9f7f-5b565823356e_zpszzxda5wj.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2