Copenhagen Oceankaj (Quay C330) transportation questions

I just embarked at Oceankaj. The public transit route did not run that smoothly for me this morning.

The elevator at Bella Center Station was broken. It looks like it has been inoperable for a while (at least since yesterday, for sure). It was not much fun lifting 150lbs of luggage up nearly 50 steps. I took M1 toward Vanlose and got off at Norreport. There are elevators and escalators there. Once at Norreport, it was difficult to find bus stop for #25. The landmark is McDonald's. With McDonald's on your right hand side, walk all the way until the end of the street to the stop lights. Look for bus sign #42 as the #25 bus sign is hidden behind it. We waited nearly ONE HOUR for bus #25! It defintely does NOT come every 20-30 minutes! There is only one bus, with one driver, and it is very slow to load all the people with luggage.

Because it took us TWO HOURS to get to Oceankaj, we had to skip most of Copenhagen as we did not want to risk taking public transit back into town after dropping off our bags, which was our original plan. Such a shame! Apparently this is the first day of summer holidays for many locals, and this is why the bus was supposedly slow. Honestly, I did not see any traffic jams however.

Will post a report about the return journey to the airport after our cruise.

New to all this and trying to read all these and still confused. Arriving in Copenhagen next week one day ahead of our cruise at 2 pm Should I get a 24 hour pass to take public transportation from the airport to the Marriott? Then the Marriott to Ocenjkna the next afternoon for our cruise. Or is it best to buy a single ticket to the hotel, mostly walk around town, and take a cab to the cruise port. Traveling with 4 people and 6 suitcases so trying to cut down costs. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
I just embarked at Oceankaj. The public transit route did not run that smoothly for me this morning.

The elevator at Bella Center Station was broken. It looks like it has been inoperable for a while (at least since yesterday, for sure). It was not much fun lifting 150lbs of luggage up nearly 50 steps. I took M1 toward Vanlose and got off at Norreport. There are elevators and escalators there. Once at Norreport, it was difficult to find bus stop for #25. The landmark is McDonald's. With McDonald's on your right hand side, walk all the way until the end of the street to the stop lights. Look for bus sign #42 as the #25 bus sign is hidden behind it. We waited nearly ONE HOUR for bus #25! It defintely does NOT come every 20-30 minutes! There is only one bus, with one driver, and it is very slow to load all the people with luggage.

Because it took us TWO HOURS to get to Oceankaj, we had to skip most of Copenhagen as we did not want to risk taking public transit back into town after dropping off our bags, which was our original plan. Such a shame! Apparently this is the first day of summer holidays for many locals, and this is why the bus was supposedly slow. Honestly, I did not see any traffic jams however.

Will post a report about the return journey to the airport after our cruise.

As promised, I will now post about my experience on disembarkation day and my journey from Oceankaj to Copenhagen Kastrup Airport. By 8:30am, many people were already waiting for bus 25/27 at the bus stop a few steps from the cruise ship terminal. There must have been 100 people waiting at one time. Some of these people got onto bus #27, and then very soon after many people got onto bus #25. The next bus was #27 and it was packed to the brim (I was the last passenger on board). After we left, there were still at least 40 people standing at the bus stop waiting for the next bus.

I paid the bus driver in Danish currency. He was able to make change so exact change is not required. Our bus driver was friendly and gave us an abbreviated color commentary as he drove. We arrived at Osterport and boy there are a lot of stairs to get from the bus drop-off to the correct platform for the airport train. Ascending and then descending 30 steps with heavy luggage is sure a great way to burn off that cruise ship breakfast! A friendly transit employee told us to proceed to the front of the platform and then informed us that we didn't necessarily have to take the train terminating in Copenhagen Airport to arrive there. She also directed us to the right side of the tracks as we were waiting for trains going in the opposite direction!

A lot of fellow passengers only had a single 2-zone ticket. When we got on the airport train, an employee was checking tickets and two tourists only had a single 2-zone ticket, when traveling to the airport requires a 3-zone ticket. Luckily, they did not get fined on the spot (it's a very hefty fine), and the transit employee just let it go. Word of advice: get the correct tickets to get you to your final destination!

I wonder if there is some way to go from the bus drop-off area to the main entrance of Ostsrport, instead of using stairs? The actual Osterport station does have escalators, but just not where the bus drops off.

Our family of 4 took a taxi from our hotel to Ocean Kaj. Have your hotel call for you as you'll need a van for that amount of luggage.

We took the metro from the airport to Kongens Nytorv station and then walked to our hotel from there.

How difficult is the metro from the airport to Kong-Nytorv station? We are staying by Nyhaven just a short walk..I hope. (Hotel Bethel S.) After the long flight, I know we don't want a tough transfer. But have done trains and buses to our hotels in the past.

Where did you buy a ticket?

With large suitcases, are there steps anywhere?

Where do you put your bags?

How long a trip?

Thanks for the help.

Do you remember the cab cost to the port? Thinking we'll do that on embarkation day.

How difficult is the metro from the airport to Kong-Nytorv station? We are staying by Nyhaven just a short walk..I hope. (Hotel Bethel S.) After the long flight, I know we don't want a tough transfer. But have done trains and buses to our hotels in the past.

How long a trip?

Thanks for the help.

Do you remember the cab cost to the port? Thinking we'll do that on embarkation day.

My son bought our tickets from a machine in the baggage area. It is very easy to find and board the metro (M2). You will each need a 3 zone ticket.

We kept our luggage with us. I don't remember if there is a storage area on the train. We've never had a problem taking our luggage on the trains. It takes 17 minutes to get to Kongens Nytorv. There are many steps to the street at Kongens Nytorv but there is also a large elevator you can use.

We paid $23 US to the airport but we went at 11 am on a Saturday and there was no traffic. Our hotel was a little bit closer to the port than yours will be.

Hope this helps.

My son bought our tickets from a machine in the baggage area. It is very easy to find and board the metro (M2). You will each need a 3 zone ticket.

We kept our luggage with us. I don't remember if there is a storage area on the train. We've never had a problem taking our luggage on the trains. It takes 17 minutes to get to Kongens Nytorv. There are many steps to the street at Kongens Nytorv but there is also a large elevator you can use.

We paid $23 US to the airport but we went at 11 am on a Saturday and there was no traffic. Our hotel was a little bit closer to the port than yours will be.

Hope this helps.

Yes this was all very helpful! Thank you.

I'm a little confused with the bold print. We are looking to take a cab to the port a couple days later from the Nyhavn area. Is that what you paid the $23 for? You mention port and airport?

Sorry for the mistake. The $23 taxi fare was from our hotel to Oceankaj.

We also took a taxi from Oceankaj to the airport and that fare was 390 DK (about $60 US).

Thanks a lot!!

We don't want to do the buses when we disembark on a Sunday at Ocean Kaj. Anyone have a clue as to what a cab would cost to get from the pier to the B.W.Hebron Hotel which is near the central station?

To the airport the next morning (Monday)from the Hebron, we are thinking the train would be ok??? just wondering how long a trip it is and if our flight leaves at 9:30 am, if maybe we should cab it again so we don't fret any delays? Or how often the train leaves for the airport, so we can plan which one to catch.

Norwegian offered a transport to the airport for $30 per person. They picked up the luggage the night before, we claimed it at the airport and checked in. It was very easy- we left the ship at 8:00 and were through security by 10. I can't imagine why anyone would want to hassle with waiting for a public bus and schlepping luggage to save $30, when they have just spent thousands on a cruise!

Arriving before cruise: do you recommend seniors who are in quite good shape.. to buy Copenhagen card at airport and take transit to First Hotel Twenty Seven which is 7 minutes walk form central station? If not; there will be 12 of us ; can anyone suggest a shuttle company that would take 12 from airport to hotel?

After three days in Copenhagen; now there's 16 of us.... ad Copenhagen card has expired and we need to get from hotel to Princess ship at Oceankaj,2100 Osterero , pier 330 and it's a Friday. Can we take public transit? how? Cost? Where to buy tickets? or hire a shuttle for 16 of us? Of course we like to do it as cheap as possible.

Sincere thanks for any help you can give this "blind/confused" person.

So if you take bus 26 from central station to Oceankaj C330; how far of a walk would it be after you got off bus to board Princess ship?

What would you suggest? Bus or cab? if you were new to this area?

How long a trip?

Thanks for the help.

Our experience was similar to CruiserTarheel's. You'll see the TI at the airport- we bought a Copenhagen card there. It was no problem avoiding steps- there were escalators and elevators at the airport and at the metro station. Everyone on the metro has luggage and they just kind of hold on to it. The metro from the airport to Kongens Nytorv was a breeze and it was an easy walk to Hotel Bethel, which you will love, by the way! I asked at the front desk how much a taxi to Oceankaj would be and was told 205 kroner- about $30. The hotel has an agreement with a taxi company so it's a set fee, which made me more comfortable. We (family of 4)were looking at about $20 anyway to take the metro and then the bus, so it was a no brainer! We did do the bus, then metro bit to get to the airport after the cruise. As other people have mentioned, Bus 25 from the port to Norreport to catch the metro runs a bit infrequently. We waited for the bus about 30 minutes, but after that it was a very smoothe transfer to the metro at Norreport. The driver was incredibly patient and when we didn't have the right amount of cash with us, he just waved us on and we bought our tickets at the metro station instead. Enjoy your cruise!

Our experience was similar to CruiserTarheel's. You'll see the TI at the airport- we bought a Copenhagen card there. It was no problem avoiding steps- there were escalators and elevators at the airport and at the metro station. Everyone on the metro has luggage and they just kind of hold on to it. The metro from the airport to Kongens Nytorv was a breeze and it was an easy walk to Hotel Bethel, which you will love, by the way! I asked at the front desk how much a taxi to Oceankaj would be and was told 205 kroner- about $30. The hotel has an agreement with a taxi company so it's a set fee, which made me more comfortable. We (family of 4)were looking at about $20 anyway to take the metro and then the bus, so it was a no brainer! We did do the bus, then metro bit to get to the airport after the cruise. As other people have mentioned, Bus 25 from the port to Norreport to catch the metro runs a bit infrequently. We waited for the bus about 30 minutes, but after that it was a very smoothe transfer to the metro at Norreport. The driver was incredibly patient and when we didn't have the right amount of cash with us, he just waved us on and we bought our tickets at the metro station instead. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for the details!

I'd still like to hear from more people that took transit. Puzzles me... if so many take transit from airport to central station hotel area for hotels; is it more difficult to take it to port?

So if you take bus 26 from central station to Oceankaj C330; how far of a walk would it be after you got off bus to board Princess ship?

What would you suggest? Bus or cab? if you were new to this area?

If you take bus 26 from the central station you have to change for bus 25 or 27 at Østerport, see my posts on page 11 for details.

I'd still like to hear from more people that took transit. Puzzles me... if so many take transit from airport to central station hotel area for hotels; is it more difficult to take it to port?

Its not hard but not as was at getting s metro or train from the airport.

From the central station area you have 2 options.

Take a train or S-train to Østerport and from there catch bus 25 or 27 or take bus 26 that stops at both the Østerport st. bus stop where 25 departs from and the Østerport st. Sløjfen bus stop where 27 departs from.

If you look at page 11 you can see the 2 bus stops you need to find at Østerport.

There is a 3rd option, get off at Nørreport instead at catch bus 25 from there.

Nørreport is the stop just before Østerport.

As promised, I will now post about my experience on disembarkation day and my journey from Oceankaj to Copenhagen Kastrup Airport. By 8:30am, many people were already waiting for bus 25/27 at the bus stop a few steps from the cruise ship terminal. There must have been 100 people waiting at one time. Some of these people got onto bus #27, and then very soon after many people got onto bus #25. The next bus was #27 and it was packed to the brim (I was the last passenger on board). After we left, there were still at least 40 people standing at the bus stop waiting for the next bus.

I paid the bus driver in Danish currency. He was able to make change so exact change is not required. Our bus driver was friendly and gave us an abbreviated color commentary as he drove. We arrived at Osterport and boy there are a lot of stairs to get from the bus drop-off to the correct platform for the airport train. Ascending and then descending 30 steps with heavy luggage is sure a great way to burn off that cruise ship breakfast! A friendly transit employee told us to proceed to the front of the platform and then informed us that we didn't necessarily have to take the train terminating in Copenhagen Airport to arrive there. She also directed us to the right side of the tracks as we were waiting for trains going in the opposite direction!

A lot of fellow passengers only had a single 2-zone ticket. When we got on the airport train, an employee was checking tickets and two tourists only had a single 2-zone ticket, when traveling to the airport requires a 3-zone ticket. Luckily, they did not get fined on the spot (it's a very hefty fine), and the transit employee just let it go. Word of advice: get the correct tickets to get you to your final destination!

I wonder if there is some way to go from the bus drop-off area to the main entrance of Ostsrport, instead of using stairs? The actual Osterport station does have escalators, but just not where the bus drops off.

To avoid the stairs at Østerport you had to options.

Bus 25 stops next to the station building at the road Folke Bernadottes Allé.

But since you got on the 27 bus the only option would have been to walk along Folke Bernadotte's Allé up to the station building, its a long walk I know but its the only way.

In preparation of the metro station that opens in 2019 they will install elevators at that end of the platforms, I have yet to figure out if it includes the stairs at Sløjfen but I hope so.

But at least it will be one less stairs to navigate.

Sincere thanks to all of you for the advice; now I can understand why many take metro to town from airport but reasons why a lot take taxi to port. Do really appreciate the clear instructions.

It is not difficult to take public transit to the port per se. However, there are some caveats:

1. You must be able to handle your own luggage from Metro/train to bus, and vice versa. This may involve stairs/escalators/elevators or a short walk with the luggage, as previously detailed.

2. You must have time and patience, as city buses inherently have limited capacity for people/luggage and are not designed for a barrage of passengers off a ship that can accommodate 3500+. Additionally, the most convenient option (bus #25) only has one bus and one driver from our experience, and therefore delays can be significant. Personally, instead of bus #25 I would recommend taking bus #27 which has multiple drivers/buses and has an actual timetable/schedule.

The actual transportation is easy, comfortable, and much cheaper than a taxi. Make no mistake - it is NOT as convenient as door-to-door car service, and nor should one expect it to be so. However, in Europe, people are not as car-dependent as in North America, and traveling by public transit is the norm.

Danish Viking has really done a great service to everyone here by giving such detailed information, timetables, links, etc. on page 11. Thank you, Danish Viking!

As an aside, I wish we could have a Wiki on these forums so that all the information is on page 1 of the thread.

Edited by A.Emgee

Really appreciate your detailed notes. Thanks.

Not sure if this is allowed on this site but found a good transportation company to take you from airport to port; most reason of all the ones I contacted. Unfortunately can't do hotel to port. Anyone know a good one that can take group of 12? If so; email me: mariburr at sympatico.ca or if you want the airport to port contact.

We just got back from our Baltic Cruise which embarked and disembarked in Copenhagen.

We arrived in Copenhagen a day in advance and took the M2 Metro from the airport to Kongens Nyhavn and walked a few blocks to our hotel.

The next day, we walked to the nearby 26 bus stop and took it to Osterport, Slojfens where we caught the 27 bus to Oceankaj.

Our cruise had an overnight in Copenhagen at the end of the cruise. We took the 25 bus into Copenhagen in the morning and the 27 bus (from Osterport, Slojfens) back to the ship in the late afternoon since the 25 bus stops operating at 3:30 - 4:00 pm.

On the final day, we took the 25 bus to Norreport and the M2 Metro to the airport.

We had NO problems with any of the public transportation that we took. Note: We took the first 25 bus of the morning (it arrived at 7:45 am) and there were only about 10 people in line. We were at the airport by 8:45 am.