2015 Alaska cruisers - info please

SDJen

If anyone who has already sailed to Alaska this year would take the time to answer, I would appreciate it. Just trying to see what the patterns for embarking are time wise.

1. Time you arrived at port

2. Time you actually got on the ship

3. How many other ships were in port that day

Thanks! Any other time saving tips would be appreciated also!!

Edited by SDJen
Spelling

There are no "time saving tips" in my opinion. There is no way to predict how many other people are showing up at the same time as you, the events of disembarking passengers, etc.

Expect lines and waits- Thousands of people have to be processed within a very short time frame. People seem to think certain status should have the seas part and them going to the front of the lines with no waiting. :) I am intolerant of the complaints. You'll get on the ship when you make your way to the front of the line.

Sorry. Should have specified Vancouver. Trying to decide when to arrive at the port with the least amount of waiting, when traveling with kids it helps to know what to expect. We are on the disney wonder.

Sorry. Should have specified Vancouver. Trying to decide when to arrive at the port with the least amount of waiting, when traveling with kids it helps to know what to expect. We are on the disney wonder.

With Disney you pick a time to board. Go during that time. They may deny you entering the terminal until that time if they are busy. If you want to have the least amount of waiting pick a later arrival time.

Edited by jenseib

Every cruise will be different. Some lots of people will be there at the very opening of boarding, others people might arrive at the last minute. Far too many variables here.

Hi SDJen,

Just embarked in Vancouver a couple weeks ago. Boarded the Radiance in record time! Less than a 1/2hr. from cab to balcony :):):).

We arrived at port about 1:30p.m. or so. Customs took about 15 minutes and with our "status" with RCCL we by-passed the couple hundred folks standing in line at the RCCL check-in. Loyalty does pay. Even with waiting in line I don't think it would have been over an hours wait.

There was 1 other ship in port but it was a smaller 1, less than 500 people I think.

We normally are "early loaders", but we decided to go in the afternoon so we could go visit Stanley Park in the morning. It worked out for us.

Remember there are always lots of variables when embarking so you have to do what you are comfortable with. Whatever you decide... Enjoy your cruise!

Alaska was INCREDIBLE!!!!!

Hi SDJen,

Just embarked in Vancouver a couple weeks ago. Boarded the Radiance in record time! Less than a 1/2hr. from cab to balcony :):):).

We arrived at port about 1:30p.m. or so. Customs took about 15 minutes and with our "status" with RCCL we by-passed the couple hundred folks standing in line at the RCCL check-in. Loyalty does pay. Even with waiting in line I don't think it would have been over an hours wait.

There was 1 other ship in port but it was a smaller 1, less than 500 people I think.

We normally are "early loaders", but we decided to go in the afternoon so we could go visit Stanley Park in the morning. It worked out for us.

Remember there are always lots of variables when embarking so you have to do what you are comfortable with. Whatever you decide... Enjoy your cruise!

Alaska was INCREDIBLE!!!!!

Thanks! We are a month away and can hardly wait. We do have an early port arrival time so we will get there early and hope for the best! I will just make sure to have something to entertain my kiddo in case we have a long wait.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I have a coworker who is sailing today - can't wait to see her pics and hear about her trip.

The thing about embarking in Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise is that you will go through US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver - it's called "pre-clearance" so that you do not have to clear when you hit that first US port. This is where one of the bottlenecks is, in my opinion. If there are 3 ships embarking that day, you all still have to go through and it can cause delays and frustration.

My personal advice is to go early. I know some people will disagree but I think most passengers arrive around noon or after. If you planned for around 10 or 10:30 at Canada Place, you can get the ball rolling that much sooner.

Have fun. :)

We boarded the Norwegian Sun at Canada Place in May, and the Disney Wonder was also boarding. If there is more than one ship, you all wait in the same line to go through pre-clearance customs, so the line isn't just people from your ship. Then you go through the security screening. It's not until after the screen that they then separate you by which ship you are boarding. I think the earlier you get there, the busier it is because everyone wants to get on board as early as possible. We got there at 11:30 and is was a mess. I think it took 1.5 hours to go through the queues, customs and security. That didn't include being ushered to a waiting area with chairs to sit and wait your turn to go actually check in.

Thoughts....

• if you choose an early PAT time.... you get to board earlier, but you need to get past security checks and registrations first. There no problem requesting an early PAT time, but show up late (traffic, eager security screener)
  • the cabins won't be ready until 1:30pm
  • the welcome lunch trough closes at 2pm. How much time do you want to be reserved for something THAT YOU PAID FOR.
  • those early (11am? noon?) may need to wait 90 minutes. Those arriving at 1:30pm will have the shortest wait, but they would have missed the feeding (that they paid for).
  • do you need tickets or changes? Do you need to speak to guest services? Do you need to make dining adjustments? Those arriving early will gotten those tickets and changes done.... those arriving late will be praying their wishes will come true.
  • waiting at the terminal for your boarding time did not bother me much last year...
    • DCL has welcoming terminal pictures for the kids. You can start your collection EARLY. Don't miss the opportunity
    • DCL internet was available WHILE WAITING in the terminal.... go sign up for that bonus 50mb! Check out the Navigator scope out your day. Remember to download the Navigator app before going to the ship/terminal.
    • Vancouver is not a small town.... yes there's cellular for your phone do some roaming.
    • bring some reading materials or things to keep the kids busy for 30 minutes or so

Edited by xlxo