Cost of Taxi to port

alanbab

We are sailing on Summit in September and will be staying at the Marriott Newark airport overnight following our flight from the UK. How much can we expect to pay for a taxi from the hotel to the port please and should we just let the hotel arrange the taxi for us. Also is it best to pay the driver cash or by card. Many thanks.

The cost should be about $50 to $60 plus tolls and tip. Often you'll pay more when a hotel arranges the service for you.

I would pay cash...and some taxis in NJ probably aren't going to accept credit cards anyway.

If you want to be sure you can pay by credit card then consider booking a car service such as:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel Limo http://www.carmellimo.com

Edited by njhorseman

We stayed at the Newark Airport Marriott and arranged a car service

with the one that is associated with the hotel to Cape Liberty .Including tip it was $65. We were asked to pay upfront to the taxi stand in front of the hotel and had a choice of cash or credit.

On the way back to Newark Airport after the cruise we picked up a cab from the cab stand at the cruise ship terminal and it was $65 BEFORE tip. I gave the driver cash plus a tip. I do not know if credit cards were an option.

We stayed at the Newark Airport Marriott and arranged a car service

with the one that is associated with the hotel to Cape Liberty .Including tip it was $65. We were asked to pay upfront to the taxi stand in front of the hotel and had a choice of cash or credit.

On the way back to Newark Airport after the cruise we picked up a cab from the cab stand at the cruise ship terminal and it was $65 BEFORE tip. I gave the driver cash plus a tip. I do not know if credit cards were an option.

Many thanks that's great! I have emailed some of the car companies recommended for a quote but sadly none of them have got back to me. We are staying in New York after our cruise and we have been advised to go to the cab stand as you did due to the uncertainty of disembarkation time if we were to pre-book a car. I also understand that I will need lots of $10 bills as drivers do not like high denomination notes. Many thanks for your help and any other advice will be gratefully received. Cheers Alan

That may have been Signature transportation...you got a great price, within the normal amount, and they have been helpful to me for other transporttation needs...

Hi just been looking at your blog on Cape Liberty and its really useful especially for someone like me from England. We shall be arriving from the Airport Marriott by cab. Do we drop our bags at the "tent" and is this where we leave the cab and walk to the terminal. Many thanks Alan

Note: our cruise is in September to New England

I know you were not specifically asking me and I think the other cruise critic member has more experience but here is what happened when we embarked just a couple of weeks ago.

There is a new cruise ship terminal at Port Liberty.The cab pulled right up in front of it where porters were loading bags on trolleys. After the bags were loaded we walked just a few steps to the doors to the terminal building and went through security that was set up inside for carry on items. From the time we dropped our bags off until we had gone through security was only 10-15 minutes or so when arriving at 11 a.m.Hope this helps.

I know you were not specifically asking me and I think the other cruise critic member has more experience but here is what happened when we embarked just a couple of weeks ago.

There is a new cruise ship terminal at Port Liberty.The cab pulled right up in front of it where porters were loading bags on trolleys. After the bags were loaded we walked just a few steps to the doors to the terminal building and went through security that was set up inside for carry on items. From the time we dropped our bags off until we had gone through security was only 10-15 minutes or so when arriving at 11 a.m.Hope this helps.

Many thanks and yes it really does help. I find that forward planning helps a lot. We plan to leave our hotel at the Newark Airport Marriott about 10.15am to hopefully arrive at the port for 11am. We have been on lots of Celebrity ships and enjoy Bistro on 5 for a nice quiet relaxing lunch. Cheers and many thanks again for your help.

Are taxi's plentiful when you disembark? We are going directly to the airport after the cruise in October.

Hi I understand that on disembarking the ship we should go to the taxi line where the despatcher will call a cab for us, quoting a price. I understand that taxis are not allowed to wait in the despatching area but are called forward as required. However since I picked up this info I understand that there is a new cruise terminal so perhaps if someone has more information on this they will help us both. Thanks

Hi I understand that on disembarking the ship we should go to the taxi line where the despatcher will call a cab for us, quoting a price. I understand that taxis are not allowed to wait in the despatching area but are called forward as required. However since I picked up this info I understand that there is a new cruise terminal so perhaps if someone has more information on this they will help us both. Thanks

Can I assume we are discussing Newark Airport? The new cruise terminal works the same way as the old terminal. Cape Liberty has a taxi dispatcher. You cannot hail a random cab.

Shared shuttle to the airport is currently $28.50/pp plus tolls. Private car is more - I'm thinking $65 plus tolls.

Can I assume we are discussing Newark Airport? The new cruise terminal works the same way as the old terminal. Cape Liberty has a taxi dispatcher. You cannot hail a random cab.

Shared shuttle to the airport is currently $28.50/pp plus tolls. Private car is more - I'm thinking $65 plus tolls.

I think alanbab said he's going into New York City after the cruise. Other posters are going to Newark. It's a little confusing.

We are leaving the ship at Cape Liberty and going directly to the Newark Airport after our cruise. Where is the taxi dispatcher located at the new terminal? How long a ride is it to the airport? Are the taxi's plentiful at the port? We had a problem before with a private car service not showing up so I need to know my options. Thank-you :)

We are leaving the ship at Cape Liberty and going directly to the Newark Airport after our cruise. Where is the taxi dispatcher located at the new terminal? How long a ride is it to the airport? Are the taxi's plentiful at the port? We had a problem before with a private car service not showing up so I need to know my options. Thank-you :)

The taxi dispatcher is on one of the islands as you come out of customs. The red should be about 30 minutes, but more if there's traffic. You're arriving on a Sunday, so it should be OK. You should be able to get a taxi or a shared shuttle to the airport. What time is your flight?

The taxi dispatcher is on one of the islands as you come out of customs. The red should be about 30 minutes, but more if there's traffic. You're arriving on a Sunday, so it should be OK. You should be able to get a taxi or a shared shuttle to the airport. What time is your flight?

Cruise ends on Sunday and flight leaves at 1:45 p.m. ( if it doesn't change).

That may have been Signature transportation...you got a great price, within the normal amount, and they have been helpful to me for other transporttation needs...

Hello, and thank you.

The Liberty Port links in your signature will be very helpful for planning our transport from EWR to the port.