Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Hi DV,

I have to add my huge Thanks for all of your help!

We were in Copenhagen 6/13. It was a beautiful Saturday in Copenhagen & we absolutely loved it!

We were able to do exactly what we wanted. The Copenhagen Card was absolutely worth it! We used it for Canal Tours Copenhagen, Rosenborg, Christianborg, & transportation.

We used Bus 26 from Indiakaj to City Hall Square, made our way back to do the canal tour, and ended up at Rosenborg.

We were able to go out the back of Rosenborg and caught Bus 26 back to Indiakaj from Georg Brandes Plads very easily.

We didn't want to leave...caught the 3:15 bus for an all aboard at 3:30!

Now that we've done it we know how easy it is!!

Denmark was very good to us in Skagen as well. We had a beautiful & fun day in Skagen. Put our feet in both oceans, saw the buried church, the Ancher home, and loved the art by the Skagen painters in the museum. The museum is being renovated so we didn't get to see the entire collection, unfortunately!

We met some wonderful Danish people...especially at the pastry shops. I'll never forget the young, pretty Danish girl who told me just what kind of traditional pastry I should get! It was a twist with poppy seeds, was just a little sweet!

Thanks again for making me feel confident to do Copenhagen on my own and answering all of my questions!!

Chris Stone

Fantastic, this just made my day :)

In 1,5 week I will also be in Skagen and have my feet in Both Kattegat and Skagerrak/The North Sea, that's my third trip to the area but my first trip to Skagen so I'm looking very much forward to this.

Btw the next 2 weeks will be a little bit slow from my part.

From Saturday I will spend a week at the Roskilde Festival and from the week after it will be a week at a summer cottage in Løkken on the top of Denmark. :D

I will try to reply to questions that doesn't require any research, but else don't expect to much activity from my side.

Hi DV,

I have to add my huge Thanks for all of your help!

We were in Copenhagen 6/13. It was a beautiful Saturday in Copenhagen & we absolutely loved it!

We were able to do exactly what we wanted. The Copenhagen Card was absolutely worth it! We used it for Canal Tours Copenhagen, Rosenborg, Christianborg, & transportation.

We used Bus 26 from Indiakaj to City Hall Square, made our way back to do the canal tour, and ended up at Rosenborg.

We were able to go out the back of Rosenborg and caught Bus 26 back to Indiakaj from Georg Brandes Plads very easily.

We didn't want to leave...caught the 3:15 bus for an all aboard at 3:30!

Now that we've done it we know how easy it is!!

Denmark was very good to us in Skagen as well. We had a beautiful & fun day in Skagen. Put our feet in both oceans, saw the buried church, the Ancher home, and loved the art by the Skagen painters in the museum. The museum is being renovated so we didn't get to see the entire collection, unfortunately!

We met some wonderful Danish people...especially at the pastry shops. I'll never forget the young, pretty Danish girl who told me just what kind of traditional pastry I should get! It was a twist with poppy seeds, was just a little sweet!

Thanks again for making me feel confident to do Copenhagen on my own and answering all of my questions!!

Chris Stone

So bus 26 is running on weekends?

Yes it is!

I haven't been following the thread since we left for our cruise so I'm not aware of your situation.

I don't know if you are from a cruise ship or getting on a cruise ship.

I'm pretty sure that bus 26 is only handy for cruisers getting back & forth from the pier if you are docked at Langelinie pier.

But bus 26 goes to all of the sites that a tourist would want to see in the old part of Copenhagen. You will have to walk a little i.e. to get from Canal Boats Copenhagen to Rosenborg, etc but we walked from City Hall Square all over the place until we were ready to head back to the pier. It really wasn't much at all & you are looking at things the whole way.

DV was careful to point out that you only want A buses for heading back to the pier.

Chris

Hi Danish Viking,

Unfortunately, it looks as though TAXA is not able to pre-book transportation for me from the dock to the airport. Here is a copy of their email to me:

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your email.

Of cause we want to help you go fram the harbour to the airport.

It is unfortunately not possible to prebook a taxi from the harbor. We have a cooperation with the ground handling team that will make sure all passengers will have a taxi. They will call for you.

Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards

Omar Jaber

Driftskoordinator

Direkte +45 35 35 35 35│Mail Omar.Jaber@taxa.dk

TAXA 4x35│Rosenlunds Allé 8│2720 Vanløse│http://www.taxa.dk

So, I must make a decision as to trust the line will be short enough to take us straightaway, or aim for another company for transport. I suppose I could book the limo company you've suggested, but that seems somewhat extravagant - although I'm sure less costly than missing the plane...

With gratitude,

Lisa

Just wanted to share my experience from a couple weeks ago regarding taxis at the port. There was a long line (sorry, I forget what time it was) but they were coming through the line and pulling out parties of two and taking them right to waiting taxis. So if it's just the two of you, I think your wait will be minimal.

However, the line at CPH was terrible for bag drop. I still don't understand exactly how things are handled at that airport, but SAS seems to handle more than one airline, as we were flying Icelandair, but directed to the SAS line, but it was terrible. But after that horrible line, there was no line at security. I would be more worried about being delayed at the airport than at the taxi line.

Just wanted to share my experience from a couple weeks ago regarding taxis at the port. There was a long line (sorry, I forget what time it was) but they were coming through the line and pulling out parties of two and taking them right to waiting taxis. So if it's just the two of you, I think your wait will be minimal.

However, the line at CPH was terrible for bag drop. I still don't understand exactly how things are handled at that airport, but SAS seems to handle more than one airline, as we were flying Icelandair, but directed to the SAS line, but it was terrible. But after that horrible line, there was no line at security. I would be more worried about being delayed at the airport than at the taxi line.

Hmmm...thanks for your input cruisewiththekids. Well, we are flying British Air, and I have no idea how well they shuttle people through the luggage exercise. I understand with your experience a taxi for two was not a problem as opposed to larger groups. Did you happen to notice any limo drivers who were able to move through the congestion of people needing transport? I'm still considering that (expensive) option.

It does sound somewhat stressful - particularly after enjoying a relaxing vacation comes a potential shock back to reality...

Hmmm...thanks for your input cruisewiththekids. Well, we are flying British Air, and I have no idea how well they shuttle people through the luggage exercise. I understand with your experience a taxi for two was not a problem as opposed to larger groups. Did you happen to notice any limo drivers who were able to move through the congestion of people needing transport? I'm still considering that (expensive) option.

It does sound somewhat stressful - particularly after enjoying a relaxing vacation comes a potential shock back to reality...

We were whisked away so quickly to the taxi, I didn't really have time to look around and notice whether there were limos there. I think it was probably around 9 a.m. when we were disembarking. And if you get off first thing when docking, I think your experience will be even smoother for taxi lines. Just from my experience getting off other cruises early, the lines don't seem as long.

Danishviking, just wanted to say thanks for your help! We had a great time in your wonderful city. The train to city center was easy, getting around was a piece of cake, and our hotel was wonderful - all items you helped with.

And, as a bonus, we sat almost right behind the queen at the Opera House for a ballet premier.

Danish Viking - my friend and I are sailing out of Copenhagen on Tuesday July 7. We arrive on July 5 to spend a couple of days exploring Copenhagen and are staying at the Marriott. We had considered taking a guided tour of the castles in the area, including "Hamlet's castle", but then we thought it might be nice to rent a car and enjoy the area on our own. Is this doable? Any suggestions on what else we might want to see that is within driving distance? Next question - we saw where you could take a guided kayak tour of the canals and/or harbor. How cold is the water in early July? Have you ever done this or known anyone to do this? Was it enjoyable? Last question, we were wondering if we could drive and drop off our luggage at Oceankaj then go return the car and take public transportation back to Oceankaj to actually go through boarding, is that possible?

Dear Danish Viking,

We will be returning to Copenhagen on the Regal Princess on Wednesday, July 29. We have a 1:30 PM flight at CPH. Our plan has been to take a taxi (hopefully a large one, since there are 4 of us with our luggage) directly from the cruise port to the airport.

Recently, I read a few comments that indicated a very long taxi line at the port.

My questions are:

Since the complaints about the taxi line were from people who disembarked around 8:30 AM, if we wait until 10 AM to disembark, should that make for an easier time to get a taxi?

If a taxi does not work out, we would need an alternative way to get to the airport. What would be the best alternative we could use?

Thanks for all of your help as we have been planning this vacation.

Sadie

Hi, Danish Viking,

We want to add our thanks to you for this incredible forum. We had a fabulous time in Copenhagen and even survived our car-rental and drive to and from the island of Mon (although in retrospect, any further travels of that kind will include a Metro to the airport and the car rental done THERE instead of renting in the middle of the city!). We loved getting out of the city for the day and seeing the beautiful countryside and "the ancestral homeland". Loved our hotel in Nyhavn, right in the middle of everything, walked everywhere, we simply really, REALLY enjoyed your beautiful city. Thank you so much for your help in putting together our pre-cruise travels.

Best wishes!

Sadie65 we disembarked from Eurodam yesterday, docked next to Regal Princess. From 7 till we left abt 9 we saw abt 12-15 taxis constantly in the parking lot. I don't know how long the wait really was as we took local bus 27 for $4 US to Ostreport for metro. This involved walking around corner to wait for bus. I heard also that there were shuttles for $15US and they were the large city busses parked right at terminal. I assume they were also parked at Princess.

There is so much information here my head is spinning.

We arrive on Caribbean Princess on 4th August.

What is the best way to get to the city centre?

Can we walk or is it better to get transport?

What are the "must see" sights?

Do we need Danish Krones or can we use $ or €s?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I am so confused :confused:

We will be arriving in Copenhagen on August 9th and staying at the Marriott. On the 10th we will go from the Marriott to the cruise port. On the 19th we will go from the port back to the Marriott and on the 20th we will go from the Marriott to the airport.

We do NOT want to use public transit. My mom is elderly and in a collapsible wheelchair and also travelling with others who will not be able to manage their luggage.

I would like to prebook our transportation. The one quote I have is from Copenhagen Limousine Service. It seems very expensive to me. I am wondering if the quote is reasonable. Please see below:

1. Sunday August 9th - pick up of 12 people plus luggage and one collapsible wheelchair from airport and drop off at Marriott Copenhagen Hotel

DKK. 1360,- + 25% VAT

2. Monday August 10th - pick up of 12 people plus luggage and one collapsible wheelchair from Marriott Copenhagen Hotel and drop off at cruise port (NCL Star)at 11am.

DKK. 1360,-+ 25% VAT

3. Wednesday August 19th - pick up of 12 people plus luggage and one collapsible wheelchair from cruise port (NCL Star) and drop off at Marriott Copenhagen Hotel

DKK. 1360,- + 25% VAT

4. Wednesday August 20th - pick up of 2 people at airport at 9:15am with luggage - and take to Marriott Copenhagen Hotel

DKK. 985,-

5. Thursday August 20th - Pick up of 14 people plus luggage and one collapsible wheelchair from Marriott Copenhagen Hotel at approximately 8am and take to airport

DKK. 1360,- + 25% VAT

I know we are a big group but the price seems high to me.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Danish Viking, your advice to all of the cruisers has been so helpful to me. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions. My family and I are cruising in August out of Copenhagen and I know that I will be less frazzled because of your comprehensive information.

Danish Viking,

We'll be in Copenhagen for 4 days , Aug. 31 - September 3. On one of those days, we want to spend an entire day at the Open Air Museum, Frilandsmuseet. We aren't planning on renting a car, but we are willing to, if that would be a better way to be able to see and wander around the entire place.

If we don't rent a car, how do we get there? We're staying at the Bethel.

Once there, is it walkable, or should we have a car? Do you recommend a specific car rental agency?

Thanks very much,

Sue