No excursion in Juneau?

debbyruss

We are in Juneau from 7am-3pm and have booked the Alaska Brewing Company & Glacier Gardens tour. But it is from 10:30-1:30, so I am rethinking doing a tour in Juneau because of the times (wish it was earlier). I have read great reviews about Tracy's Crab Shack and the Red Dog Salon and am thinking of walking around the shops in town and seeing these 2 places. Just my Mom and I and she has a hard time getting around, so limited on what tours we can do. She will have a scooter to get around town on. What are your thoughts on this idea? Worth it to just walk the town & have lunch there (maybe do the tram), or is this excursion one that would be more fun? Does anyone know what time the shops open in Juneau on a Saturday?

Appreciate all input!

Depends on you. Wandering the downtown area, as limited as you state, may be what you both want to do? Why did you choose the tour, to begin with? Was it of interest to anybody, or just filling time? You verified, the scooter transportation?

It needs to be decided upon, by the two of you, how you wish to spend your port time.

We are in Juneau from 7am-3pm and have booked the Alaska Brewing Company & Glacier Gardens tour. But it is from 10:30-1:30, so I am rethinking doing a tour in Juneau because of the times (wish it was earlier). I have read great reviews about Tracy's Crab Shack and the Red Dog Salon and am thinking of walking around the shops in town and seeing these 2 places. Just my Mom and I and she has a hard time getting around, so limited on what tours we can do. She will have a scooter to get around town on. What are your thoughts on this idea? Worth it to just walk the town & have lunch there (maybe do the tram), or is this excursion one that would be more fun? Does anyone know what time the shops open in Juneau on a Saturday?

Appreciate all input!

The sidewalks of the tourist drag of Juneau are narrow, and if there's a couple of ships in town (check the calendar for port day), they'll be nearly impassible on foot. I can't imagine trying it in a scooter. It's not really strolling sort of venue. Tracy's and the Red Dog will also be crowded. It doesn't matter what day of the week it is, all the stores stay open if there's ships in town. Unfortunately, the streets which won't be crowded will be steep.

You could check with one of the cab companies to arrange one which can take her scooter, and be taken to Glacier Gardens. My mother has mobility issues and she really enjoyed the ride up through the woods to the viewpoint on the vehicles they use. That way you can go when you want and stay as long as you want. They could also take you to the glacier, and there's paved paths, and I think you could take the scooter on the boardwalks with possible salmon and bear viewing.

If it's a nice day, the tram will be good to do as well.

Thank you both - I think we are going on the tour! After poking around some more, I think we will enjoy the Glacial Gardens & Brewery tour & save more of the shopping in Ketchikan. We have no tour planned there, so I can always walk her back to the ship if it's too difficult.