Norwegian Fjords what to wear?

The common recommendation, mentioned many times here, is layering. The outer layer must be water and wind proof. It could be warmer, or cooler- checking any web weather site for a couple of the ports involved will give you lots of info.

We just returned from there a week ago. Most days were in the 50's, however, the North Cape was much cooler and quite brisk. I will say though the sun was very warm. So layers are really the best option. It would be cloudy/misty one minute and sunny the next. Saw some beautiful rainbows. The scenery is very picturesque especially if there is still some snow on the mountains. Enjoy your trip!

The common recommendation, mentioned many times here, is layering. The outer layer must be water and wind proof. It could be warmer, or cooler- checking any web weather site for a couple of the ports involved will give you lots of info.

YES, agree with above for layering and how, at times, things can be a little hard to predict exactly. Historically, July is the best month to be there, based on the past averages. We were up and down that scenic coast exactly five years ago. See more, including a larger of number of visuals, from the my live/blog connected below.

What ports are you doing, how far up the scenic coast? To the North Cape and/or Lofoten Islands? Or, just Bergen and the lower fjords?

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As an example for July 10, you will find this data for Bergen in the heart of this great area: a high of 54 °F last year with a low of 52 °F, with an average high on this date of 61 °F with an average low of 51°F. During recent history, the high has been 77 °F (2007) and a low of 48 °F (1998) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year. For this coming July 10 in Bergen, it is suppose to be a high of 61F and a low of 49F, mostly sunny.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 180,701 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

What is the weather like on the Fjords in July? I don't want to pack too much winter clothes if I don't need to.

Isn't that a bit like saying you don't want to buy house insurance if you don't need to? Take your winter coat, and hope you don't need it. (I presume you aren't flying?)

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

We did this itinerary last July. For the coolest days we wore waterproof parkas with hoods. Then layers, long sleeved t shirt and sweat shirt or light weight fleece was my choice. DH carried light gloves. But except for the far north, we didn't need more than a long sleeved shirt or light sweater. We had fantastic sunny weather. Winter coats aren't needed. Layers to peel off mid day as temps rise are more practical.

Edited by eandj

Thanks for the advice.

I don't actually own a winter coat even though i live in the UK, i simply don't go out much in winter and wear a thick cardigan for getting from my car to shop/house/wherever.... i'm pretty hot-blooded. But on our trip we will obviously be out more on the excursions.

Anyhow, thanks everyone.

eandj's advice is good.

We did not bring winter coats, but did have good water/windproof outer layers. Along with long-sleeved shirts and a fleece, we were fine most days. I also added my Patagonia "nano-puff" jacket a couple of times (best warm packable item I own). I did wear a hat and gloves on a few occasions. Our trip was in early June, and we did excursions into the mountains and out on the water.

We are in the fjords now and we have only had one day without some rain, so definitely have

a waterproof shell or jacket. Today, for Geiranger, I had on four layers, all light, and was perfectly comfortable. Many people are wearing light gloves and caps but we haven't found that necessary. Overall, it is cooler than anticipated, so heed the many suggestions above to bring layers.

Norway in the summer is unpredictable. We have been to some of the northern cities when we froze even with a winter coat. And we have been in Oslo in July when it was too darn hot. You need to be prepared for all kinds of weather, although you can certainly look at the long range forecasts before you leave home and pack accordingly. But the well known technique for such places is to pack "layers" of clothing so that you can handle just about anything.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

It will be temperature controlled. I find parts of the ships cool inside even in the Carib. The show rooms are usually kept cooler. I carry a wrap in the evenings and often need it over my shoulders. Unless you go out on the deck, you won't freeze even in barer cocktail dress.