Victoria- walkable to town from cruise port?

We will be in Victoria the last day of our cruise from 2:30- 930pm. We have several long excursions booked for the other ports on the trip and thought we would just take it easy and explore town for an hour or so on our own rather than book anything. Is it a possible to walk to town or is a cab needed?

We will be in Victoria the last day of our cruise from 2:30- 930pm. We have several long excursions booked for the other ports on the trip and thought we would just take it easy and explore town for an hour or so on our own rather than book anything. Is it a possible to walk to town or is a cab needed?

It's about a 20 to 30 minute walk to town from the pier.

It's nice walk thru a residential area with mature trees lining the streets and beautiful flower gardens in the private yards.

Its very walkable, the walk is well marked, level and safe. its about a 20 min walk but if you stop at various vistas like Fishermans Wharf plan on 30 to 45 mins. If you are tired after you exploration of the city, which is very compact, then a cab fare back to the cruise terminal is $10. I would recommend you have a look at our Legislative Building, go into the Empress Hotel and have a look and a stroll on Government St. is a must for shoppers. A visit to the Royal BC Museum would be a good bet but it is something you should do very soon after leaving the ship as Mon thru Thurs it closes at 5 pm but open until 10 pm on Fri and Sat until late in Sept.

http://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/

Both responses are correct, but require a little clarification. Once you leave the port at Ogden Point you can either turn to the left and follow the signs to the Inner Harbour or you can turn right on to Dallas Road and then take any of the streets on your left to walk through the residential areas. All will eventually get you to the Inner Harbour. Walking distance is about the same. If you walk to the right, you should not go past Government Street if you want to directly to the Inner Harbour area. The Inner Harbour is where you find the Empress Hotel, the Museum and the Parliament Buildings - very central.

You can keep walking to the right along Dallas Road and right at the end of the sea wall you will find a very nice path along the cliffs. Beacon Hill Park will be on your left and if you continue you will end up at the very historic and interesting cemetery at Ross Bay.

And if you really love to walk you can walk up to Government House and explore their lovely gardens. It is the residence of the Queen's Representative, but the grounds are public.

You will find Victoria is a very walkable city. Enjoy your stay.

To the left of the pier is David Foster Way. An easy and well marked walkway to the Inner Harbour where all the touristy action is at. Fishermans Wharf along the way has quaint little houseboats you can peruse as you enjoy fish n Chips at the Fish Store or Barbs place. You can also. Hope aboard one of the Harbour Ferries there. Worth it to see the Harbour from.the water and not very expensive. Just be sure to tell the capt you want to go to the Inner Harbour

Edited by Lulubelle45

Dallas Road is an absolutely gorgeous drive and one that I try to do every time I am in Victoria. When I used to jog it was probably my favourite run....but I had to give up jogging, the ice kept popping out of my glass of scotch. I wouldn't of thought of going to town that way but it does work and maybe go right along Dallas going into town and come back the other way.

Here is a link to the left handed route and you can pick up the right handed route from the map as well:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/The+Fairmont+Empress,+721+Government+Street,+Victoria,+BC+V8W+1W5/185+Dallas+Rd,+Victoria,+BC+V8V+1A1/@48.4169391,-123.3614744,15z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x548f7490ef50fa89:0xe22e87219e7b9d4c!2m2!1d-123.36687!2d48.421834!1m5!1m1!1s0x548f74bb4e00ef97:0xc4d039a2aab733c4!2m2!1d-123.385862!2d48.417279!3e2

Edited by Putterdude

A right-handed route would be to turn right onto Dallas Road and left on Oswego. This is a beautiful, tree-lined street with lovely gardens. It will take you right to Belleville Street.

At the very least, if you plan to walk both ways, be sure to use both routes. Walking as far as you can along Dallas Road is stunning waterfront.

Enjoy your visit. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The shuttle for the past two years has been operated by the harbour authority (as I recall using transit buses) and yes the fare is $11 pp rtn. However, Princess contracts directly with CVS Cruise Victoria for the shuttle and I believe and the fare is $10....but don't hold me that. If there are two of you it would make sense to take a cab as the fare to the Empress is only $10.