Conch Republic

capncarp

Is anyone on the board a citizen of the Conch Republic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conch_Republic

I've been wanting to go to Key West for their annual defense of the republic against the aggressor-state US Navy. Seems like a wild time is to be had by all.

Has anyone planned a cruise to coincide with the late April "Conch Republic Independence Day/Week" celebration?

That's a good question because I can't seem to remember a cruise ship ever being in port during any of the "Bloody Battles." It's quite an event in the harbor and on Mallory Square, and there are so many boats, tall ships and a CG cutter in the harbor, I think they plan it on days there are no ships in port.

It's a lot of fun, despite it not really ending like it did in true history. Now, the USCG surrenders to the Conch Republic. By the way, not only am I a USCG veteran, I'm also a Master Chief in the Conch Republic Navy...so I'm conflicted every year. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter and son-in-law lived in Key West. He was stationed in Homestead FL when Hurricane Andrew destroyed the base, town and their home. He was transferred to Key West and that's where my Grandson was born. He was born early and was flown to the NICU at Miami Children's Hospital before he could come to his home in Key West. He used to hate it when we would tell him he was a rarity because he was a Saltwater Conch (someone born in Key West). He is graduating college next year in December and wants to go back to see Key West because he doesn't remember much about it. We decided today to book a cruise in December after he graduates, that will take us to Key West so that he gets to see the place he was born. We visited them quite a few times and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Key West. I think it's time we got him a Conch Republic flag.

LOL....thank you for your post. Never knew you could do this, but it sounds exactly like a something coming from Key West. This is a FABULOUS idea. I'm sure he would love this. Since we will be celebrating his graduation from college and embarking on a new career, what better way to start his new "independence" than citizenship in a "new" country. This will be hysterical. Love that dual citizenship part.