Lots of options

Hamburg Avon Lady

Considering an Alaskan cruise next summer, probably with Holland America. Not sure about the land portions to Denali -- we would love to see the wildlife but DH and I have walking issues (he uses a scooter) so not sure if we would gain much with the additional expense. The choice are for 1 - 2 - 3 days in Denali -- Do we need that much time? We are not able to do the more strenuous shore trips. Also, what would be the best choice for weather -- we live in Western New York so our summers are pretty short -- I am sure July/August are the prime times --is the weather very chilly at the end of Aug/Sept. Thoughts, please. :)

Considering an Alaskan cruise next summer, probably with Holland America. Not sure about the land portions to Denali -- we would love to see the wildlife but DH and I have walking issues (he uses a scooter) so not sure if we would gain much with the additional expense. The choice are for 1 - 2 - 3 days in Denali -- Do we need that much time? We are not able to do the more strenuous shore trips. Also, what would be the best choice for weather -- we live in Western New York so our summers are pretty short -- I am sure July/August are the prime times --is the weather very chilly at the end of Aug/Sept. Thoughts, please. :)

Why not consider a round trip from Seattle or Vancouver ? The longer the land trip the better . I would start with the land trip and end with the cruise . Land portion is pretty hectic.

Weather wise there really isn't one good time to go. July and august usually the preferred months This year may and June would of been better so far.

Thoughts...

One thing frustrating for me was the excursion guide. When I went looking for what excursions were wheelchair friendly.... there wasn't anything easily identified. Not sure if that has changed now.

Denali requires 2 nights, in my opinion. Round trip Juneau by train is 16 hours, so hardly worth a single night. You also need to get INTO the park, which HAL is very good about including the Tundra Wilderness tour- this is an 8 hour bus. Don't skimp on mainland time, and don't underestimate distances. Nothing worse than marathon transits, which some short cruise tours are.

I've written many times about the huge tidal chances at Alaska port docks. If the scooter is a rental- then don't get the "cheap" one. and make sure it is fully charged. I have seen some scooters not able to make it up ramps, with people pushing them. I'm assuming this person is able to walk some short distances. So, they may have to walk partially up ramps. HAL does usually have the better dock space, however.

Oh boy, what a big mistake. Thank you for pointing this out. I certainly want accuracy with my posts.

Thought I should point it out since so many folks think that the Alaska Railroad goes through Canada to Alaska. A friend's daughter worked for a summer at the Fairbanks ARR depot years ago and it was amazing how many calls they received from annoyed folks unhappy with the schedule posted on the ARR website as they couldn't figure out where the ARR track started (i.e., Seattle or Chicago). They just didn't realize how limited the track is.

Thought I should point it out since so many folks think that the Alaska Railroad goes through Canada to Alaska. A friend's daughter worked for a summer at the Fairbanks ARR depot years ago and it was amazing how many calls they received from annoyed folks unhappy with the schedule posted on the ARR website as they couldn't figure out where the ARR track started (i.e., Seattle or Chicago). They just didn't realize how limited the track is.

Yep, I was at a Juneau car rental counter, when the person ahead of me, insisted there was a "Marine Highway". :) :) :) The vendor ended up giving up- with the map. Hope they took out the extra insurance. :)

I do think going to Denali is worth your time particularly since you state that you are interested in seeing the wildlife. I would definately choose the 3 day option. You might want to post your scooter accessability questions on the Disabled Travel board. You could also do a search of that board for Denali because I have seen detailed reviews. You need to notify the park staff when you make your bus reservation that you need a bus with a wheelchair lift. These buses are "school bus" type buses so the ride can be a little bumpy. He would also need to be able to move from his scooter and walk down the center aisle to a seat or climb up the steps into the bus. They usually reserve the front seats for handicapped passengers but I believe the scooter is transported in the rear of the bus. There are several bathroom stops usually requiring transit over packed gravel. The visitor's center at Eilson is handicap accessable but you do need to go down the ramp with caution as it is a bit steep. If he can walk a few steps and negotiate the toilet facilities that are a bit cramped for space he should do fine. Someone who has no use of the lower extremities may have more problems at 2 of the bathroom break spots but the bathroom facility at Eilson and The Wilderness Access Center are good. There is also a lot to see at the Wilderness access center and there is a sled dog presentation with both of these being very accessable. You can never predict how much wildlife you will see at Denali but the bus trip at least to Eilson is the best opportunity. I don't know if you are planning the tour through the ship that includes the train/bus combo but if you are both can carry the scooter but again the restrooms are a bit cramped.

Usually HAL is docked in prime locations and so tendering ashore is not usually an issue on HAL. Most HAL ships have at least one tender that has a handicapped lift.