Skagway to Emerald Lake -- Distance

cruisinlady

Renting car in Skagway taking Klondike Highway to Emerald Lake. Is it true that Emerald Lake is approximately 80 miles from Skagway. Does anyone know how long it will take to get to Emerald Lake. I'm sure the speed limit is not going to be 55 mph? We'll be making numerous stops for photo's, etc. Is the Klondike Hwy. a completely paved road?

Thanx.

We did this trip last year and 80 miles sounds about right. It was a beautiful drive and very enjoyable. We had plenty of time for stops and pictures. It took us about 4 hours. The highlight of the trip was having a black bear cross the street in front of us. The highway way all nicely paved. You can drive 55, but you will miss alot if you do. Have fun. Carla

Thanx for your quick responses. Our ship is in Skagway 7:00 AM to 8:30 PM, so we'll be taking our time going out to Emerald Lake and be able to take it all in, at our leisure. NO RUSH !!!! We want to do everything and anything because, it will probably be the only trip we'll be making to Alaska.

Thanx for your quick responses. Our ship is in Skagway 7:00 AM to 8:30 PM, so we'll be taking our time going out to Emerald Lake and be able to take it all in, at our leisure. NO RUSH !!!! We want to do everything and anything because, it will probably be the only trip we'll be making to Alaska.

Don't say "only trip", that is what I had planned my first one. :) Enjoy Alaska, it is addicting. :)

Don't say "only trip", that is what I had planned my first one. :) Enjoy Alaska, it is addicting. :)

Hoping Alaska will be very addictive. Have been dreaming of seeing Alaska since I was a child of 8. A friend of our family was my babysitter back then ('50s era) and told me about her experiences as she and her husband towed house trailers to the area.

Can't wait to see Alaska and already hope that I will be seeing alot more of the area -- via cruise ship and land vacations.

Dianne

I'll just add my two cents worth to what others have already said. It is about 150 miles roundtrip and the driving is relatively easy on a good road. We stopped in Carcross and then ate lunch at Cinnamon Cache, right outside of Carcross. Turned around at Emerald Lake and drove back to Skagway. The trip took us 5-6 hours as we stopped numerous times.

If you do go, by all means, download Murray's guide. We used it last summer and it is the best guide of it's kind I've ever seen; published books included. We even marked on it where we took pictures so I could label them correctly after we got back.

>>Hey, Murray, maybe I'll get to actually see you this year. <<

I hope so :) - my schedule hasn't been set for the summer yet (other than cruising on the Vision, Radiance and then Alaska State ferries from May 19 - June 9), but pop me a note with your dates.

Murray

>>Hey, Murray, maybe I'll get to actually see you this year. <<

I hope so :) - my schedule hasn't been set for the summer yet (other than cruising on the Vision, Radiance and then Alaska State ferries from May 19 - June 9), but pop me a note with your dates.

Murray

Oh, no, Murray, we were hoping to be able to meet you this year but you'll be gone when we're in Skagway.

Our cruise leaves Seattle on Sunday, May 28th so we'll be in Skagway on Wednesday, May 31st, driving to the instructions in your "Photographic Road Log of the South Klondike Highway". Last year we did the mini-bus tour and enjoyed it but this year want to do the drive ourselves.

We didn't have much time in Carcross, just enough time to go to the Post Office to get our passports stamped then down to Bennett Lake and took a picture of your home across the lake. I understand there's a self-guided "walking tour" of Carcross with a bit of history. Do you have this on your website or do you know where we can get it?

Thanks, Murray, and have a great cruise on the Radiance!

• 7 years later...

Thanks so much Murray for your valuable information! Will definitely be getting this guide for our up coming cruise to Alaska in 2015! I wanted to see Emerald Lake during our stop in Skagway & you have made it so easy to do that! :D

We leave in two weeks and still haven't decided what to do in Skagway. This sounds right up our alley and a lot more low key than our other excursions (helicopter ride and 3 hour glacier hike in Juneau and float plane trip in Ketchikan).

Did you rent the car in advance or are there plenty of cars to rent once you arrive?

Did you rent the car in advance or are there plenty of cars to rent once you arrive?

If the trip is important to you, by all means try to make a reservation. Although at this late date there may be no cars available.

A free milepost guide for the road trip:

http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/klondikehwy2.html

Look at the town web site for a map of town, walking tours, and city bus info. Probably skagway.com or .org

LOL I'm with you BQ, I thought I'd be taking one trip to Alaska (and probably my only cruise). 20 trips to Alaska and 50+ cruises later I guess I was wrong :)

Just saw this thread is 8+ years old. lol

Edited by DougH

OK, so when I got to rent the car do I just search for the location near the port/cruise terminal? Sorry to sound silly, we travel often but I've only ever booked a car from the airport.

Nevermind, I figured it out! Car rented through Avis in Skagway, hopefully it's close to the cruise dock!

ETA: Just saw your response huskyguy, thank you!

Edited by mt23

I, too, saw the date of the OP and grinned to see this thread revived.

A note about renting the Skagway car, etc.

did make rez well in advance of need.

DH walked to the car rental in town, picked up the car and drove back to the ship to pick up our party of 4 - we drove to the nearest grocer where we bought our picnic supplies (had brought collapsible coolers w/us from home) - soda/chips/cookies/sandwiches. Not adviseable to take food off the ship, but you might get away with it, if you feel compelled.

Bears are prevalent, so you want to be alert when stepping outside of your vehicle to capture photos and there are ever so many places to pull off for majestic opportunities.

So, a great ride to Emerald Lake where we had planned to picnic, but the bugs forced us to sit inside the car with the windows rolled up - yes, they were that bad. So......don't forget your repellant if you wish to be outdoors.

There was a place to get ice cream on up the road, just a piece, but totally don't remember the name. nice stop.

A word of caution: rock slides can happen along your route and YOU are Responsible for any car-damage ...really want to check that out. Broken windshields are not uncommon and can be costly, so really check out the insurance-factor (your own and what the car company offers).

Bon Voyage.

• 3 months later...
I' date=' too, saw the date of the OP and grinned to see this thread revived.

A note about renting the Skagway car, etc.

did make rez well in advance of need.

DH walked to the car rental in town, picked up the car and drove back to the ship to pick up our party of 4 - we drove to the nearest grocer where we bought our picnic supplies (had brought collapsible coolers w/us from home) - soda/chips/cookies/sandwiches. Not adviseable to take food off the ship, but you might get away with it, if you feel compelled.

Bears are prevalent, so you want to be alert when stepping outside of your vehicle to capture photos and there are ever so many places to pull off for majestic opportunities.

So, a great ride to Emerald Lake where we had planned to picnic, but the bugs forced us to sit inside the car with the windows rolled up - yes, they were that bad. So......don't forget your repellant if you wish to be outdoors.

There was a place to get ice cream on up the road, just a piece, but totally don't remember the name. nice stop.

A word of caution: rock slides can happen along your route and YOU are Responsible for any car-damage ...really want to check that out. Broken windshields are not uncommon and can be costly, so really check out the insurance-factor (your own and what the car company offers).

Bon Voyage.[/quote']

Green jeep company will not make you pay for broken windows, windshield, door and damaged caused by animals. They are a great company!!

• 1 year later...
Any must see places on the klondike. I wondered about little towns. We are going as far as emerald lake and maybe a little beyond to Robinson Road house.

Purchase Murray's guide online. All your highway details.