6.3 Magnitude Earthquake Southern Alaska

Cindyscruising

Saw this in the news today and was a bit surprised. Maybe someone currently on an Alaskan cruise is able to make a post when they get back and report if they felt this or saw large waves? :eek:

The news story I watched indicated they were not presently concerned with a Tsunami but were going to be monitoring the situation

I was in the crawl space replacing the blower motor on our furnace. We just felt the ground wiggle a little. No big deal. Remember, Alaska is on the Pacific ring of fire and earthquakes are quite common. The last one that caused any real damage was the Denali Fault Quake in 2002.

We were on the train in Whittier waiting to head back to Anchorage after a glacier cruise. I felt like I was moving, but no one else did, so I just thought I was dizzy. Then it was announced there was an earthquake and that we'd be delayed because they have to check the tunnel and the tracks after every earthquake bigger than 5. We were stuck in Whittier for about an hour and a half. We got into Anchorage after 10 PM. It was pretty scary...a claustrophobic experience I never even thought of...

It actually was upped to 6.4... I live about 20 miles north of Anchorage, and my house shook for close to a minute...this is not rare or unusual....check out the alaska geophysical earthquake site...we have lots and lots of them daily....most of the time we don't feel them...

Saw this in the news today and was a bit surprised.

??? surprised ???

our school commons area has a viewable recording seismograph.

a friend of mine had a office on the 5th floor of the fed building in Juneau with a pendulum hung from the ceiling to judge the strength of each of earthquake.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Anchorage the night before our cruise having dinner at Humpy's when the earthquake hit. At first I thought it was the margarita going to my head, but when I saw the speakers and disco balls swinging from the ceiling I realized it wasn't just me. The locals calmly assured us that this was no big deal and happens frequently. This was my first earthquake ever, so it was felt like a big deal to me.

Just one more cool story from our first Alaska trip! I'm just glad it seems that no one was hurt.

• 4 weeks later...

i was also on the train that was delayed in whittier until the tunnel and tracks to anchorage were inspected.

we were so punch drunk from flying for 32 hours the day before that we didn't notice the earthquake itself, other than my daughter (she posted above)...

amusingly or not, there are tsunami signs all over saying to "go up" in the event of a tsunami....but we were parked next to a mountain wall, so there really wasn't anywhere to run if needed....

it was a situation we'd never considered...

anyway....we have videos of us laughing hysterically as we sat in the delayed train....a good time was had by all as we waited...

in anchorage, a man staying in the room next to us (on the 19th floor) said he'd been freaked out by the quake as the building had swayed quite significantly....however, from the little i know of quakes, tall buildings are supposed to do that (i know the tall ones where we live also sway like crazy in quakes of that magnitude)....