Is Tipping in Labadee Customary?

cjdixon4

I just read a comment by someone on a different chat than Cruise Critic about tipping in Labadee. She said that the person who set up her beach seats "required" her to tip $5. When she only had a $10 bill, he claimed not to have change and kept the whole amount. Forr the record, we don't mind tipping when it's reasonable to do so. But is this what goes on there, or is that an exception about the tipping thing in Labadee? I'll be on Freedom next May, and trust me, my DH isn't gonna deal with that kind of nonsense. Any info about that? Curious. :confused:

While I can appreciate the generosity of those who have posted, the original question was that posted above.

If someone told me I was 'required' to tip a certain amount in Labadee for a chair, I would be annoyed. It is not 'required'.

It is also not unkind if someone does not want to tip $5 or $10 for chairs. That is not the point. OP wanted to know what tipping is customary or if it is required.

Short answer: No, tipping is not 'required'. No set amount is required. People may be confused because when you go to other islands, there is often a fee for chairs and umbrellas. This is RC's 'private' area and there are no fees (yet) for chairs.

So tip as you like and hopefully your chair setter will be gracious, whatever you choose to give.

I would almost wager the guys putting out our chairs in Labadee are upper class in Haiti. I believe the average income is less than $1,000 annually.

I took a tour of Haiti and they told us that the average per capital income was $28.00 US dollars A YEAR. :eek: It makes me cry to think that is true. Which is way RC is bringing so much value to them by creating jobs.

I try and get a cabana on the private beach and I tip $40 or so because they take care of us all day.

And the truth is, $5.00 either way, when we have paid so much and are SO lucky to get to take such a wonderful vacation...means a lot more to them than to us. So I try and error on the generous side.

I can't believe those spending 5,000.00+ to cruise can't give a local 5 bucks for setting up a chair.

No one said that.

OP asked it was standard practice to be FORCED by the attendant to give a tip and if you gave a larger bill was it standard for them to play the "no change" game.

I've never had an attendant help me on Labadee. I've never had an attendant offer to help me. I've never brought cash on to Labadee. And I've never had anyone demand a tip at Labadee.

But I sure have learned about having proper change anywhere in the Caribbean if you don't want to play games.

There was recently a cruise review here on CC in which the reviewer, a man, described being followed into the restroom and observed by the attendant, who was clearly angling for a tip. He was so uncomfortable that he left and went back later. I've seen the restroom attendants near the sinks or doorways, and they usually have had their hands out for a tip. We've tipped those who have set up chairs for us (a few bucks).

I don't think that was the point of the OP's question.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Ocean. That was so FAR from my point. Maybe they were responding to someone else's statement that was far from the point also...LOL

No one said that.

OP asked it was standard practice to be FORCED by the attendant to give a tip and if you gave a larger bill was it standard for them to play the "no change" game.

I've never had an attendant help me on Labadee. I've never had an attendant offer to help me. I've never brought cash on to Labadee. And I've never had anyone demand a tip at Labadee.

But I sure have learned about having proper change anywhere in the Caribbean if you don't want to play games.

Thanks, LMaxwell for your insight... although we're great for tipping when warranted, don't try anything crazy 'cause you'll wind up with nothing. When we hit Labadee next year, I'll remember to take smaller bills with me. Thanks again.

When we went to Labadee we tipped the guy that pushed my mom's wheelchair, some of the street musicians, and a guy on the zip line. He took my camera while we where on the baby dragon and took pics of me and my daughter while there. He didn't have to do that but I did appreciate it because at least we had some pictures of a great adventure!

I can't answer the question if it's customary or not but I brought along cash while on Labadee because we had a hillside cabana and I knew we would have an attendant (Local Person) there all day. He was good went and got us drinks all day, walked with us down to the upgrade lunch area and held a table for us while we got our food, hailed a golf cart for us to go down to the vendor area, would check in on us throughout the day to see if we needed anything and more. I tipped him $20 when we left to go back to the ship! :cool:

My take is that tips are not expected. I was there off the Grandeur March 28 and I looked at that day's Compass. All it said about money was "Cash for the local straw market". I don't shop and doubt if I carried any cash at all. I would think if tips were expected there would be a reference to it in the Compass.

Roy

We were in Labadee in June. We walked down Adrenaline beach and found a nice spot. A gentleman in a RCI shirt approached and asked us if we wanted to have a cabanette and chairs set out (small blue shade tent for 2 loungers) and we asked the cost. He said "up to you". We said "what is customary" and he responded again "no price, up to you". So we gave him $10 and had a very comfortable shady spot for the grandparents to watch us and the kids play in the water. The thin gentleman looked like a local Haitian and was very polite and not in the least bit pushy. While I haven't seen it firsthand, I am aware that the conditions on the other side of the fence are assuredly much different than what my family and I were enjoying at the private beach. Well worth it for us!

We usually get three loungers at Barefoot beach and the attendant sets them up under the trees, he checks on us, gets us fresh towels, drinks.

We usually tip a $20 at the end of the day.

Love Labadee.

OP here -

Okay, so based on the general responses I'm hearing on this thread...

- tipping is welcomed, but not "required" nor is it "expected" on Labadee

- how much you tip is purely at your discretion

- it's best to bring smaller bills to the island if you plan to tip

- if one brings no cash at all to Labadee, you can still have a great time

Got it. ;) (Unless someone has something else of interest to add...LOL)

Last time I was on barefoot beach we had the best attendant he said every morning he came over from the mountainside across from labadee by canoe to work. He was Haitian and he didn't work for RCI.on all the cruises my wife and I have been on he and a waiter from the independence are two of the best people that we have ever met on a cruise and still talk about till this day. When We Go back to labadee this sept We walk the whole island to try and find him.They are hard working people that depend on us to survive and deserve a great tip.

We also had a wonderful attendant. Who deserved a nice tip which he earned. We have been here many times and never had or seen any aggressive behavior. We just love it there.

Bottom line, right or wrong, when tipping anywhere in the Caribbean always have exact amounts and don't ask for change. Sadly, many of them may not know how to make change and they are so desperate for money that they are going to play the "no change" game more times than not. It's just a different life and I try to remember that when they seem rude or uncaring. Like others have said, I just don't sweat $5 to $20 when I know it is a huge amount to them.

Yeah especially in Haiti. 80% unemployment rate there. I went on the culture cruise boat tour where we told a lot of sad facts about the state of Haiti and how hard they work just to keep a job. We are certainly very lucky to now have to worry about that. My mom felt so bad that we forgot to bring cash on the tour so we couldn't tip them :(.