Overwhelmed by choices!

blufroggirl79

We will be on the Celebrity Solstice in May 2016 for 7 nights. Will be in Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria BC. I'm just starting to look at excursions and am overwhelmed by all of the choices. Can anyone recommend the "do not miss" things to do in these ports?

Here's some top 5 ideas.... once you pull into port... all the excursions are nearly the same...

e_eMbvWq8lU F4PEcfMK1eY mjOwP2OAuPU [YOUTUBE]l40k_wZzVuc[/YOUTUBE]

cF1l3vfKWAM RiaOlvSRMAk 0xHCn0IkjUE

Edited by xlxo

We have been to Alaska and are going again next week. Here is my list of must see things. We too have to stay on a reasonable budget. In Skagway, the White Pass train excursion in a must do. It probably is one of if not THE most popular thing to do there. It is not that expensive. I do not have my list here with me but just google it. Also we are doing a helicopter tour in Juneau. Both of thee we found online much cheaper than through the cruiseline. Also we are both in wheelchairs so we had to dig deep to find companies that offer wheelchair accessibility. The juneau helicopter tour has a wheelchair lift so we are super excited about that. It was about half the price of the ones through the cruiseline. If you want more info let me know and I can get you the names later today.

We did the White Pass Railway in Skagway. I would consider it a must do because it takes you out into the Yukon area and allows you to view the amazing landscapes and scenery. We did not do it through the cruise line but through a private company instead and had an amazing day. We also did Taku Lodge with the seaplane flight over the glacier field in Juneau. Both were a bit expensive, but we decided that after paying the price of an Alaskan cruise and airfare that going a bit more than usual on excursions would really make the trip memorable. We chose to spend the day in port in Ketchikan to help offset the price of the other excursions. It is a very walkable port with the museum with the totems and tour of the salmon hatchery as nice options for part of the time in port there. Our time in Victoria was pretty short and we opted to take a taxi to town and look around a little before returning to the ship. They also had a bus to town, but we had four in our group and the roundtrip taxi fair was about the same as the bus fair per person so we chose that option instead.

The juneau helicopter tour has a wheelchair lift so we are super excited about that. It was about half the price of the ones through the cruiseline. If you want more info let me know and I can get you the names later today.

I definitely dispute this claim. It is very unlikely same tours are being compared. "Half price" just does not happen with regular booking Alaska and Helicopter tours. (in the past, there have been "groupon", purchased coupon book 2 for 1 offers, but haven't seen those lately either) There can be some discount, but I've never seen any 50%, without my above mention. It would be a benefit - to post the actual tour, time and description of each booking option- with the price.

We will be on the Celebrity Solstice in May 2016 for 7 nights. Will be in Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria BC. I'm just starting to look at excursions and am overwhelmed by all of the choices. Can anyone recommend the "do not miss" things to do in these ports?

I suggest, you, first, make your own list of YOUR interests and narrow down the excursion list.

I caution against, considering "popular" tours, when you have more interest in other possibilities. And the bad news is- it will take you at least 10 trips, make any dent in a "must do" list, as it is far more, then the few "popular" tours.

There are plenty of people who, are bored on trains, don't care much about seeing "whales"- which ONLY can be expected to see, blows, backs and tails on a "normal" trip- which are seldom reported, and I've seen scared "sh***) people on flights, along with sick ones- who KNEW in advance their trends- and never should have wasted their money, with time standing still, and them only wanting OUT.

Be true to yourself. And make YOUR selections, based on your interests, time and budget. There are countless possibilities to enjoy your very short Alaska time. Make the most of it.

Edited by Budget Queen

In Skagway, we are opting out of the White Pass Rail and renting a jeep from Alaska Green Jeeps. We will drive the same route to the pass the train takes, but we do not have to be crammed into a train, and we do not have to worry about whether or not we get the best seats. Plus, we can take our time and get out and take pictures.

In Juneau we are taking a tour of the Tracy Arm Fjord with Adventure Bound. In Seward we are taking a 8.5 hr Northwestern Fjord cruise with Major Marine Tours.

Just some of the other options.

Happy cruising.

In Skagway, we are opting out of the White Pass Rail and renting a jeep from Alaska Green Jeeps. We will drive the same route to the pass the train takes, but we do not have to be crammed into a train, and we do not have to worry about whether or not we get the best seats. Plus, we can take our time and get out and take pictures.

This is not accurate- you are NOT on the "same route". The Klondike Highway and the White pass only have a couple miles of common views. The views from the White Pass are superior.

All these options can be great, for those, who have the interest. That is what is most important.

We did the White Pass Railway in Skagway. I would consider it a must do because it takes you out into the Yukon area and allows you to view the amazing landscapes and scenery.

For clairfication- ONLY the Lake Bennett train takes you to the Yukon, which is one of the more costly combo options. . The, more taken, White Pass, Fraser train, one way or round trip, does NOT.

In Juneau we are taking a tour of the Tracy Arm Fjord with Adventure Bound. In Seward we are taking a 8.5 hr Northwestern Fjord cruise with Major Marine Tours.

Just some of the other options.

Happy cruising.

I am looking at the same jeep rental in Skagway. We enjoy sightseeing on our own versus large group. They offer 4 door jeeps at a very reasonable rate.

I suggest, you, first, make your own list of YOUR interests and narrow down the excursion list.

I caution against, considering "popular" tours, when you have more interest in other possibilities. And the bad news is- it will take you at least 10 trips, make any dent in a "must do" list, as it is far more, then the few "popular" tours.

There are plenty of people who, are bored on trains, don't care much about seeing "whales"- which ONLY can be expected to see, blows, backs and tails on a "normal" trip- which are seldom reported, and I've seen scared "sh***) people on flights, along with sick ones- who KNEW in advance their trends- and never should have wasted their money, with time standing still, and them only wanting OUT.

Be true to yourself. And make YOUR selections, based on your interests, time and budget. There are countless possibilities to enjoy your very short Alaska time. Make the most of it.

I appreciate your view--very valid points. :-)

Sorry if I gave incorrect information. We took the train and then entered a motor coach for the remainder of our tour. I have pictures from a stop that says Yukon, and we saw all these amazing mountains and lakes in the distance, but maybe it was not actually in the Yukon area. We also saw Emerald Lake, the Carcross Desert, and a dog mushing camp. Yukon or not it was beautiful, and we greatly enjoyed it.

Sorry if I gave incorrect information. We took the train and then entered a motor coach for the remainder of our tour. I have pictures from a stop that says Yukon, and we saw all these amazing mountains and lakes in the distance, but maybe it was not actually in the Yukon area. We also saw Emerald Lake, the Carcross Desert, and a dog mushing camp. Yukon or not it was beautiful, and we greatly enjoyed it.

No need to apologize, I think you were on the longer train trip that did indeed go into the Yukon.

Some folks opt for the shorter train trip that only goes to Fraser British Columbia then turns around and returns to Skagway.

There are various trips. It can be confusing, so folks just have to read the itinerary of each offered.

There are 2 train options. Your road trip, did go into the Yukon, Carcross, Emerald Lake, Caribou Crossing are all in the Yukon.

The "Yukon" reference is thrown out frequently. :)

The one that surprises me is that suspension bridge.... it's in Alaska....

http://yukonsuspensionbridge.com/getting-here/

yep, pretty "interesting".

All the time, you will read "reports", about "I was in the Yukon" etc, when they did the round trip train. :)

Even John Heald of Carnival, went on and on about how "great" the White Pass RR was- going to the Yukon. Kept it up for the 3 weeks I sailed with him.

All the time, you will read "reports", about "I was in the Yukon" etc, when they did the round trip train. :)
That's nearly as bad as the Europeans reaching North American and mistaking it for India.

Sorry xixo.....the suspension bridge is in British Columbia......a Canadian province! You will note on the map that skagway is in Alaska,then the road goes over the border into Canada, passing very briefly across a little corner of of the province of BC before entering the Yukon, a territory of Canada. It is pretty crowded up in that little section of the world as far as borders go! Just FYI a....a beautiful trip no matter how you do it.

Sorry xixo.....the suspension bridge is in British Columbia......a Canadian province! You will note on the map that skagway is in Alaska,then the road goes over the border into Canada, passing very briefly across a little corner of of the province of BC before entering the Yukon, a territory of Canada. It is pretty crowded up in that little section of the world as far as borders go! Just FYI a....a beautiful trip no matter how you do it.

Yep, I missed the "Alaska" reference. :) The "Yukon" name is "interesting".

Here is a map for authentication http://yukonsuspensionbridge.com/getting-here/

We are going July 2016,

Ketchikan- Adventure Kart

Juneau -Evening Whale Watch

Skagway-Horseback Adventure

Victoria B.C- tour of city by horse drawn carriage.

We decided on these because it was what interested my husband and I. We went for the Kart, and horseback riding because we wanted to see more of the land side of Alaska. Pick what interest you.

This is not accurate- you are NOT on the "same route". The Klondike Highway and the White pass only have a couple miles of common views. The views from the White Pass are superior.

IMHO both the drive and the train ride are worth doing as each offers advantages and disadvantages that the other doesn't.

But if I could only do one, I would pick the drive because you are the one who gets to choose when and where to stop along the way, and for how long or short a time you stay there.

OTOH, if my son could only do one, he would pick the train as he is a real train buff.

Unfortunately, they won't stop the train at all the places I want it to stop. ;)

On our most recent Klondike Highway drive, we spent about 20 minutes parked by the side of the road watching a bear only a few feet away.

For a drive of that distance, we prefer a regular rental car because it gives a more comfortable ride than a jeep.

If you bring a copy of Murray's Guide along on the drive, it is like having your own personal guide right there in the car with you describing everything along the way.

Looking at the map mentioned by xlxo, it is easy to see where the South Klondike Highway and the railroad line run fairly parallel to each other and where they separate.

suspensionlocatormap.gif

Edited by varoo