Puerto Montt Chile

bocaraton

This was the last port we tendered to before back to the civilization of Valparaiso, the wine country, and Santiago.

The place was truly freezing. Sorry if so many of our posts emphasize the cold, but truly even though we packed winter clothes, coats, scarves, gloves and hats, we just did not have enough. It was a drizzly day, but we tendered and bought some stuff, clothes souvenirs etc.

There is a lake district, a german town, etc. We did not do the tour...boring people that we are, we took ourselves back to the boat and its hospitality.

• 2 months later...

When was your cruise? Just curious what time of the year it was since you complained about the weather being too cold, so that we would pack accordingly for our planned South America cruise, also on the Infinity.

Thank you,

Not the OP, but as an additional perspective: We have been to Puerto Montt twice, both times in late February. I do not recall the conditions on our first visit, but the second time we had sunny and very pleasant weather most of the day. If you are cruising "around the Horn", the clothing you will need while at the more southerly ports will certainly be warm enough for Puerto Montt, which is considerably farther north.

Just be sure to bring a waterproof and wind resistant shell with hood that can be worn (when needed) over a fleece or similar layer, and preferably also waterproof outer pants, and you will be fine throughout the cruise. (This assumes you will be cruising in Nov.-March period.) You are likely to encounter cool, windy and wet weather at times. However, you are very unlikely to encounter "truly freezing" (below 32 F / 0 C) conditions anywhere along that route in those months unless you venture up to a high elevation while in one of the ports.

John

Edited by J-D

We were in Puerto Montt in March. We were on the Infinity from February 15th through March 29th, and the Puerto Montt port call was on March 13th. At Puerto Montt we were on a private excursion, which included stops at Lake Llanquihue, the Vincente Perez Rosales National Park and the Pertohue Rapids, and a drive up the slope of Osorno Volcano to the ski lodge. We had a sunny day, and I wore a long sleeved blouse, a light fleece layer and we did have gortex rain jackets, which were handy as it was windy at the ski lodge. I was perfectly comfortable.

Our Infinity cruise series included a cruise to Antarctica, and we were perfectly comfortable dressing in layers as outlined by J-D. Any one who has traveled to our state, Alaska, could pack the same items on a cruise around the horn that they packed for a trip to Southeast Alaska.

• 1 month later...
At Puerto Montt we were on a private excursion, which included stops at Lake Llanquihue, the Vincente Perez Rosales National Park and the Pertohue Rapids, and a drive up the slope of Osorno Volcano to the ski lodge.

Who did you use and would you recommend them?

• 2 weeks later...

We toured Puerto Montt with GVTOURS.COM (gvtours.chile@gmail.com). We highly recommend them. The tour was for 12 people plus the tour guide. Our guide was a lovely young woman who was going to attend flight traffic controller school. Tour included Puerto Montt, the German town of Fruitillar (a great stop), to lunch (included and quite nice), and to Petrouhue Falls (best place to buy a baby-alpaca-maybe-alpaca sweater. Wish I had purchased 2 since they are so warm) and then back to Puerto Montt. A lovely day.

The only problem and NOT GV Tours related was some of the cruise passengers didn't pay attention (thought it didn't apply to them?) that no food can be taken off the ship into Chile. Someone tried and the agricultural police stopped them and the entire disembarkation process until they could bring in more staff to look more closely at all of us. Really slowed down the lines. We didn't even take off any hard candy but we were later told that as long as the candy (lifesavers) were factory wrapped we could have taken them.

Edited by Traveling Library

• 1 month later...
The tour was organized with Denis Purtov (http://www.puertomontt-excursions.com/en). The tour guide and driver were both great, and I would recommend this company.

I would also highly recommend tours provide by Dennis Purtov ( http://www.puertomontt-excursions.com) A large Holland America group that I was with in Dec. 2014 used him for a private tour and we were all very satisfied.

• 4 weeks later...
I would also highly recommend tours provide by Dennis Purtov ( http://www.puertomontt-excursions.com) A large Holland America group that I was with in Dec. 2014 used him for a private tour and we were all very satisfied.

Another vote for Dennis Purtov. We toured with him in February 2014 and had an excellent day.

Jan

I realy appreciate your suggestion. I just wrote an a-mail to the tour cie for a few questions. Thanks again.

By the way if anyone is interesting to join us on December 18th 2015 . Just a small group . We are interested for the Volcano, Puerto Varas and the Petrohue falls tour.

I just got the answer from Dennis Purtov from puertomontt-excursiones and The price is a little high if you are only two ( 300$ ca pp). We need to be at least five.

But thanks anyway, still thinking about a taxi....or HAL

• 2 months later...
I just got the answer from Dennis Purtov from puertomontt-excursiones and The price is a little high if you are only two ( 300$ ca pp). We need to be at least five.

But thanks anyway, still thinking about a taxi....or HAL

JUst wondering if anyone did do a local taxi tour from the pier to Osorno Volcano and Petrohue Falls and about how much was it? Or doing any other attractions via local taxi? Am debating about using a local taxi or joining an indep group tour for upcoming Nov 2015 So America cruise. Ty.

• 4 months later...