Bloomsbury Vs Kensington

I am trying to decide between two hotels : Montague on the Garden in Bloomsbury ( right in front of the British Museum) and the Kensington Hotel , which is near Museum Row and Harrod's.

We plan on visiting the British Museum and the museums on the Row. Also plan to visit the London Eye. We will have three days . Am really stuck as the hotel in Bloomsbury seems fabulous , but like the location in Kensington better I think.

Opinions please. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: while I've stayed in both general locations, it's been a good 15-20 years for both, so I'm working on general impressions rather than recent experience. That said, I think I'd be leaning towards the Bloomsbury property, just because I think it's a quieter location, and I like the 'bookish' vibe of Bloomsbury.

Both really are solid options I think, but if you really like the look of the Montague, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

Bloomsbury is walking distance to the National Gallery, Portrate Gallery,

Cortould and of course the British Museum. You can also work to the South Bank

and are right by Covent Garden SoHo one China Town.

Our choice by far would be the Montague.

Edited by orchestrapal

I have stayed at neither, but a nice decision to have to make - both excellent hotels. What is it about the Kensington location that you like? As with the other posters I'd probably tend towards Bloomsbury.

Where the heck has "Museum Row" come from - is that thing now? :)

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Maybe I made up the musuem row part , lol! I am referring to the 3 big museums ( V&A , Science and Natural History) in close proximity. I know see the correct name is " Museum Mile".

I will be traveling with my family - 3 young travelers , ages 12 , 15 and 19. We are not big theater goers.

I like the Kensington location due to the fact that it is near to the three free museums which would be interesting for the "kids". A trip to Harrod's sounds fun. It seems to also be close to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Our family loves parks and green spaces.

The Bloomsbury area looks lovely. The British Museum and Russel Square , as well as the academic atmosphere of the neighborhood surely is enchanting and the hotel has included a tempting afternoon tea in its offer. I also would like to visit Sir John Soane's Museum , which is nearby. The hotel receives rave reviews.

My son wants to visit the Sherlock Holmes Museum . We have visited the Tower of London , Madame Tussaud 's , done a London Duck Tour , Buckingham Palace on a previous visit when the children were younger.

As stated above , both seem great and I am torn. I would like to walk as much as possible and I am concerned that Bloomsbury would be more out of the way for walking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by brazilgirl

I would like to walk as much as possible and I am concerned that Bloomsbury would be more out of the way for walking.

Actually, I think Bloomsbury would be better in walking terms than Kensington - well, at least it would be no worse. And it's closer to the Sherlock Holmes museum.

Maybe I made up the musuem row part , lol! I am referring to the 3 big museums ( V&A , Science and Natural History) in close proximity. I know see the correct name is " Museum Mile".

Hmmmn - as far as I know Museum Mile is centred around Bloomsbury (and runs from Kings Cross down to the river). Never heard it used for the South Kensington museums, which is how I would refer to your Big 3. Or just Exhibition Road.

That whole area is rather spendidly called Albertopolis, after Queen Victoria's husband Albert, who was responsible for laying a lot of it out (and hence V&A, Albert Hall, Albert Memorial).

I am now tempted to say if you are feeling that way, Kensington may be best for you. No compelling reason either way, as far as I can see, so go with your heart!

Hmmmn - as far as I know Museum Mile is centred around Bloomsbury (and runs from Kings Cross down to the river). Never heard it used for the South Kensington museums, which is how I would refer to your Big 3. Or just Exhibition Road.

That whole area is rather spendidly called Albertopolis, after Queen Victoria's husband Albert, who was responsible for laying a lot of it out (and hence V&A, Albert Hall, Albert Memorial).

I am now tempted to say if you are feeling that way, Kensington may be best for you. No compelling reason either way, as far as I can see, so go with your heart!

From their website :5a7d6b1e1489433b8f524581f20f00b1.jpg

Maybe it is a new marketing move ?

Albertopolis ... Nice. I will have to mull over all the suggestions . Decisions, decisions.. Already looking forward to our London stay!

I have stayed in both Bloomsbury and Kensington on several occasions, in modest accommodation, but as anyone's memories of an area are so personal they will probably not be particularly helpful. However, for what it's worth, here they are. For a time, I had to attend a meeting in Camden Town three or four times a year. The institution I was representing arranged accommodation in a budget hotel in Southampton Row, Bloomsbury. Bloomsbury itself did not make any particular impression on me. I walked to Camden Town. I visited the British Museum. I walked to Trafalgar Square. I used Russell Square tube station. I did not dine in the area. And that's the limit of my interaction with Bloomsbury. My recollection of the area is of busy streets and, on a Friday evening heading to Trafalgar Square, weaving my way around the numerous revellers blocking the pavement outside public houses. Others my perhaps comment that there is much more to Bloomsbury than that, but all I can give is my limited experience.

I have stayed in student accommodation in Imperial College, Kensington, on three occasions for a specific reason. I was attending the promenade concerts in the Royal Albert Hall and the college is right beside the venue. Unlike Bloomsbury, I have so many vivid memories of Kensington. Lying in bed in the morning and looking up, through the window, at the dome of the Albert Hall. Getting up, walking to the window, and directly below me was the statue of the Prince Consort. Walking through Kensington Gardens and suddenly hearing the sound of horses' hooves. It was a troop of the Household Cavalry making their way along Kensington Road to Hyde Park Barracks. Relaxing on a park bench in the evening with the Albert Memorial before me, glowing golden in the setting sun. I particularly enjoyed rambling slowly through Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, away from the roar of traffic. Lunching in the wonderfully ornate café, designed by William Morris, in the V&A museum. So, for me, it is Kensington every time.

Dermot

I will be traveling with my family - 3 young travelers , ages 12 , 15 and 19. We are not big theater goers.

I like the Kensington location due to the fact that it is near to the three free museums which would be interesting for the "kids". A trip to Harrod's sounds fun. It seems to also be close to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Our family loves parks and green spaces.

The Bloomsbury area looks lovely. The British Museum and Russel Square , as well as the academic atmosphere of the neighborhood surely is enchanting and the hotel has included a tempting afternoon tea in its offer. I also would like to visit Sir John Soane's Museum , which is nearby. The hotel receives rave reviews.

My son wants to visit the Sherlock Holmes Museum . We have visited the Tower of London , Madame Tussaud 's , done a London Duck Tour , Buckingham Palace on a previous visit when the children were younger.

As stated above , both seem great and I am torn. I would like to walk as much as possible and I am concerned that Bloomsbury would be more out of the way for walking.

Kensington Park is much larger but there's a delightful square that we walked through coming and going between Montague on the garden and the Russell Square tube station. The rooms are on the small size at the Montague, but the decor is charming and very atmospheric.

I have stayed in both Bloomsbury and Kensington on several occasions, in modest accommodation, but as anyone's memories of an area are so personal they will probably not be particularly helpful. However, for what it's worth, here they are. For a time, I had to attend a meeting in Camden Town three or four times a year. The institution I was representing arranged accommodation in a budget hotel in Southampton Row, Bloomsbury. Bloomsbury itself did not make any particular impression on me. I walked to Camden Town. I visited the British Museum. I walked to Trafalgar Square. I used Russell Square tube station. I did not dine in the area. And that's the limit of my interaction with Bloomsbury. My recollection of the area is of busy streets and, on a Friday evening heading to Trafalgar Square, weaving my way around the numerous revellers blocking the pavement outside public houses. Others my perhaps comment that there is much more to Bloomsbury than that, but all I can give is my limited experience.

I have stayed in student accommodation in Imperial College, Kensington, on three occasions for a specific reason. I was attending the promenade concerts in the Royal Albert Hall and the college is right beside the venue. Unlike Bloomsbury, I have so many vivid memories of Kensington. Lying in bed in the morning and looking up, through the window, at the dome of the Albert Hall. Getting up, walking to the window, and directly below me was the statue of the Prince Consort. Walking through Kensington Gardens and suddenly hearing the sound of horses' hooves. It was a troop of the Household Cavalry making their way along Kensington Road to Hyde Park Barracks. Relaxing on a park bench in the evening with the Albert Memorial before me, glowing golden in the setting sun. I particularly enjoyed rambling slowly through Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, away from the roar of traffic. Lunching in the wonderfully ornate café, designed by William Morris, in the V&A museum. So, for me, it is Kensington every time.

Dermot

Lovely impressions....café designed by William Morris? Heaven.

I agree people's appreciation of an area is a personal thing - for me, it would be Kensington every time because I used to work in Russell Square and although I used to like Bloomsbury, my memories are of it being busy busy busy as opposed to the Parks.

Unless you particularly wish to stay in the Montague, I would go for Kensington. But hey, what a great decision to have to make.

I agree people's appreciation of an area is a personal thing - for me, it would be Kensington every time because I used to work in Russell Square and although I used to like Bloomsbury, my memories are of it being busy busy busy as opposed to the Parks.

Unless you particularly wish to stay in the Montague, I would go for Kensington. But hey, what a great decision to have to make.

Made my decision and booked The Kensington Hotel. The gardens and museums are at the top of my list and I love the look of the hotel. I will surely visit Bloomsbury as well. Thanks for all the input.

It's a long walk from the Kensington Hotel to Harrods. It isn't really that close.

That's just one of the reasons why I'd pick Bloomsbury. You are just so much closer to lots of things to do, whereas the Kensington Hotel only offers the Exhibition Road museums and South Ken Tube station.

I have booked my hotel with an advance rate , so no second thoughts allowed , lol. I am happy though , as the hotel is beautiful.

http://www.redonline.co.uk/travel/book-places-to-stay/the-kensington-hotel#image=4

We are not going to be eating at any top restaurants ( we will have just gotten off a 14 day Crystal cruise - enough eating! We will need to walk. ) nor do we really do anything " nightlife " wise. I have looked at google maps and checked restaurants near the hotel and see lots of casual options for a family of 5.

We loved St. James Park and Hyde Parl last visit and plan to picnic. We loved the Natural History Musuem and felt we just scratched the surface. We didn't visit V&A nor The Science Museum and I know we will love both.

We can leave the neighborhood one day and explore . I think we will have to visit London on many occasions to really get a feel for all of the amazing things to do.

I would love to live in England for at least a year. A dream...will have to settle for three nights for now.

I have booked my hotel with an advance rate , so no second thoughts allowed , lol. I am happy though , as the hotel is beautiful.

http://www.redonline.co.uk/travel/book-places-to-stay/the-kensington-hotel#image=4

We are not going to be eating at any top restaurants ( we will have just gotten off a 14 day Crystal cruise - enough eating! We will need to walk. ) nor do we really do anything " nightlife " wise. I have looked at google maps and checked restaurants near the hotel and see lots of casual options for a family of 5.

We loved St. James Park and Hyde Parl last visit and plan to picnic. We loved the Natural History Musuem and felt we just scratched the surface. We didn't visit V&A nor The Science Museum and I know we will love both.

We can leave the neighborhood one day and explore . I think we will have to visit London on many occasions to really get a feel for all of the amazing things to do.

I would love to live in England for at least a year. A dream...will have to settle for three nights for now.

Enjoy London. It's one of my favorite cities in the world, and I get to visit it twice this year. Always something fun to experience.

Enjoy London. It's one of my favorite cities in the world, and I get to visit it twice this year. Always something fun to experience.

I also never tire of visiting London - you'll have a great time, brazilgirl. Enjoy!

Just a couple of comments:

Give Harrods a miss - it's not worth taking the time for. If you want a shopping experience Liberties is more interesting (for adults) or one of London's vibrant markets Borough Market or Camden Lock are my favourites: http://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/street-eats-the-ten-best-markets-in-london/

You say you aren't theatre goers but please consider taking the kids to one of the excellent musicals in the West End. The Lion King (Brilliant staging but the film had better tunes), Billy Elliot, Cats, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... and more. How about Le Miz? This is surely an opportunity not to be missed and something that they will surely remember and talk about long after.

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/whats-on/theatre/top-ten-musicals

Edited by Bob++

Just a couple of comments:

Give Harrods a miss - it's not worth taking the time for. If you want a shopping experience Liberties is more interesting (for adults) or one of London's vibrant markets Borough Market or Camden Lock are my favourites: http://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/street-eats-the-ten-best-markets-in-london/

You say you aren't theatre goers but please consider taking the kids to one of the excellent musicals in the West End. The Lion King (Brilliant staging but the film had better tunes), Billy Elliot, Cats, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... and more. How about Le Miz? This is surely an opportunity not to be missed and something that they will surely remember and talk about long after.

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/whats-on/theatre/top-ten-musicals

Thank you so much for the tips. I will have to reconsider! I am a huge appreciator of the arts in general , but strangely the theater is the one thing that has never appealed to me.

I should open my mind as I am sure you are right and the kids will love it. I do love markets and will add a visit.