Hook bracelets...I know it's been asked before but...

pghsteelerfan

I know this question has been asked before but I'm looking for some specific information and couldn't find it through "search".

We'll be in St. Thomas next month and would love to get a hook bracelet. We'll be on Carnival and docked at Havensight. On a roll call for our cruise, a few others mentioned a place in St. John that has quality ones and the originals by Sonya on St. Croix that are shipped in. We will not be going to St. John and staying in St. Thomas, but I'd love to get an original. Does anyone know of any stores in the Havensight area that sell the original hook bracelets?

I think Tradewinds in Red Hook carries hook bracelets. Not sure if they are the ones you're looking for or not. They have/had a website.

Nobody in Havensight sells the originals, and neither does anybody in town. The ones on St John are very nice, and I haven't seen any like them on STT.

Thank you both for your responses. We are doing the Skyride and planning on doing that first thing and were planning on going to a beach on St. Thomas. The ship is scheduled at 8AM, but sometimes arrives earlier since we leave out of San Juan and St. Thomas is our first stop. After doing the Skyride, I may have to see if we'll have enough time to go to St. John afterward instead. :D I know we wouldn't have a lot of time there, but shop then maybe a beach for an hour. I could always order on-line, but it's not the same as getting it there.

The Pirate's Chest store at Paradise Point may have hook bracelets, but don't know if they are the original or as nice as the ones on St John.

Thank you again Ms411, I will be sure to look while I'm up there.

There is a "contact us" link on Sonya's web site, why not email her and ask at the source if they have any authorized dealers in STT?

That is a good idea, I'll go ahead and do that. I have Sonya's website bookmarked in case I didn't find any in STT. Thank you.

I have looked into getting my "original" repaired or buy a new one. You can buy all the knock off hook bracelets you want in STT, but the originals are only available in St. Croix and only at Sonya's. It is nice to have a signed one. Flips people out when I show them. Have had mine for about 30+ years now.They will mail them to you. The price you see on the website is the same price you would pay if you were in the store.

The Hook bracelets at Tradewinds in Red Hook or at the stores in CA are not what you want. If you do make it to STJ the quality and craftmanship is excellent at St John Bracelet Co in Cruz Bay. http://www.stjohnbracelet.com/

Check before your cruise to be sure they will be open before taking the time to go over.

I have looked into getting my "original" repaired or buy a new one. You can buy all the knock off hook bracelets you want in STT, but the originals are only available in St. Croix and only at Sonya's. It is nice to have a signed one. Flips people out when I show them. Have had mine for about 30+ years now.They will mail them to you. The price you see on the website is the same price you would pay if you were in the store.

Thank you. When I was informed about an "original" in St. John, they may have meant originally and individually made in the Virgin Islands instead of "mass produced" and shipped in from elsewhere. I was warned to watch out for the knock off bracelets because many weren't quality and probably wouldn't last. I've compared pictures of those purchased in St. John, Sonya's (very similar), and the mass produced knock offs. Such a difference. I love the authentic looking appearance compared to the very shiny of the mass produced. I've been looking at Sonya's website as well as the one that was provided for the place in St. John and like what I'm seeing. So happy to hear first hand experience that your bracelet lasted so long. I'm definitely considering ordering one instead. :)

The Hook bracelets at Tradewinds in Red Hook or at the stores in CA are not what you want. If you do make it to STJ the quality and craftmanship is excellent at St John Bracelet Co in Cruz Bay. http://www.stjohnbracelet.com/

Check before your cruise to be sure they will be open before taking the time to go over.

Thank you blue_water. I must have been replying to gkrebs when you sent your reply. This is the website I have for the one in St. John that I've also been looking at and have bookmarked. One each website I have a bracelet picked out and both are very similar with the only difference price of $15.00. The St. John Bracelet Company will be open the day we are scheduled to be in St. Thomas but I don't think it's going to be possible for us to get to St. John. We've already purchased tickets for the Skyride through the cruise line and want to do that first thing since our experience in St. Thomas has been sunny in the morning and rain in the afternoon. They open at 9AM. We planned to do the Skyride/Paradise Point last time in St. Thomas (May 2013) but they were closed two weeks before our cruise for the road widening/building renovation. It was a must this time since we'd never been. I'll be looking both bracelets over to decide and will probably order one of them on-line. It doesn't necessarily have to be from Sonya's but I'd rather have one that's quality.

Thank you blue_water. I must have been replying to gkrebs when you sent your reply. This is the website I have for the one in St. John that I've also been looking at and have bookmarked. One each website I have a bracelet picked out and both are very similar with the only difference price of $15.00. The St. John Bracelet Company will be open the day we are scheduled to be in St. Thomas but I don't think it's going to be possible for us to get to St. John. We've already purchased tickets for the Skyride through the cruise line and want to do that first thing since our experience in St. Thomas has been sunny in the morning and rain in the afternoon. They open at 9AM. We planned to do the Skyride/Paradise Point last time in St. Thomas (May 2013) but they were closed two weeks before our cruise for the road widening/building renovation. It was a must this time since we'd never been. I'll be looking both bracelets over to decide and will probably order one of them on-line. It doesn't necessarily have to be from Sonya's but I'd rather have one that's quality.

Understood. We would go to PP after going to STJ because we like it as a nice last stop before leaving the island. And we usually see a quick shower mid-morning (seems to be like clockwork :rolleyes:) more than later but you never know in the islands. The tram tickets are usually refundable and you can also taxi up and tram down if you'd like. You can also order bracelets from these sites if you have one picked out.

The nice thing about going to SJB in person is you can have one custom-made for you (at no additional cost) which is a more personal experience and is what my wife did. You can be the designer and have a unique bracelet. Didn't take long, we visited Mongoose Junction and just walked Cruz Bay and he was finished. But if you think you may want to go that route (because you see features you like on 2 different bracelets, for example) that's why I would recommend making an appointment rather than just walking in just to be safe. Cruz Bay is a nice place to shop and lunch (or take an island tour) as well.

But good luck and enjoy your cruise :)

Look up Caravan Gallery @ Mongoose Junction on St Johns. Check out their website. I believe they do mail orders. We have purchased several at the store when in St Johns.

Understood. We would go to PP after going to STJ because we like it as a nice last stop before leaving the island. And we usually see a quick shower mid-morning (seems to be like clockwork :rolleyes:) more than later but you never know in the islands. The tram tickets are usually refundable and you can also taxi up and tram down if you'd like. You can also order bracelets from these sites if you have one picked out.

The nice thing about going to SJB in person is you can have one custom-made for you (at no additional cost) which is a more personal experience and is what my wife did. You can be the designer and have a unique bracelet. Didn't take long, we visited Mongoose Junction and just walked Cruz Bay and he was finished. But if you think you may want to go that route (because you see features you like on 2 different bracelets, for example) that's why I would recommend making an appointment rather than just walking in just to be safe. Cruz Bay is a nice place to shop and lunch (or take an island tour) as well.

But good luck and enjoy your cruise :)

jcg4550, I just found the website and believe it or not, one of the bracelets is VERY similar to the other two I've been contemplating. I just bookmarked the link, along with the other two.

blue_water, thank you again for your help. Right now, I'm considering changing our plans, all for a bracelet and DH doesn't know this yet. :eek: We were in St. John in 2010 on a cruise line sponsored excursion to Trunk Bay and loved it and would love to go back, but on our own (taxi to Red Hook for ferry). My DH definitely wants to hit a beach, as do I, but even an hour or so at Trunk Bay would do. I've noticed on the webcam of the ship we'll be on lately that she's arriving in St. Thomas between 6:30 and 7AM, but scheduled at 8. If early, it might be possible to go to St. John and head up the Skyride later, or as you suggested, cab it to Paradise Point and take the Skyride down. I have the Red Hook/Cruz Bay ferry schedule - would you suggest trying for the 1PM ferry from Cruz Bay? I'm thinking in order to do the Skyride/Paradise point that the 2PM ferry would be pushing it a little too close.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Right now, I'm considering changing our plans, all for a bracelet and DH doesn't know this yet. :eek: We were in St. John in 2010 on a cruise line sponsored excursion to Trunk Bay and loved it and would love to go back, but on our own (taxi to Red Hook for ferry). My DH definitely wants to hit a beach, as do I, but even an hour or so at Trunk Bay would do. I've noticed on the webcam of the ship we'll be on lately that she's arriving in St. Thomas between 6:30 and 7AM, but scheduled at 8. If early, it might be possible to go to St. John and head up the Skyride later, or as you suggested, cab it to Paradise Point and take the Skyride down. I have the Red Hook/Cruz Bay ferry schedule - would you suggest trying for the 1PM ferry from Cruz Bay? I'm thinking in order to do the Skyride/Paradise point that the 2PM ferry would be pushing it a little too close.

Sorry I didn't see what time you departed St Thomas and where you are docked - Are you departing St Thomas at 5PM? If so then yes the 1PM ferry from Cruz would give you a good 4 hrs on STJ and a good 2 hrs to enjoy PP, especially if docked at Havensight since you can walk from the lower tram station to the ship.

STJ Bracelet is just off the ferry dock so you could go there first, buy or place an order to have a bracelet made to your specifications, head to the beach, and have a nice leisurely day with new jewelry for the ride back! :D

Sorry I didn't see what time you departed St Thomas and where you are docked - Are you departing St Thomas at 5PM? If so then yes the 1PM ferry from Cruz would give you a good 4 hrs on STJ and a good 2 hrs to enjoy PP, especially if docked at Havensight since you can walk from the lower tram station to the ship.

STJ Bracelet is just off the ferry dock so you could go there first, buy or place an order to have a bracelet made to your specifications, head to the beach, and have a nice leisurely day with new jewelry for the ride back! :D

I'm sorry blue_water...I didn't even mention that (departure/where docked) and that's just as important. Like I expect you to have a crystal ball...but you nailed it exactly. :) Yes, we're docking at Havensight and departing St. Thomas at 5PM on Carnival Liberty.

I finally brought this up to DH last night and just got a "look" as he wanted a nice, relaxing day (original plan was Skyride/Paradise Point & Sapphire Beach immediately after). I have been jumping through hoops with our neighbors, who happen to own landscaping/mowing company, since last weekend and will be through this Monday, by taking care of their house and pet sitting their dogs in exchange for them to mow our lawn...for DH...when we're on vacation. I hate to be that way, but I just may have to remind him. :D I really appreciate all your help, it may make it a little easier for me.

I shared your comments with my wife and she is showing me her bracelet and lovin it and supports your quest!:D

I need all the support I can get, it will definitely take some arm twisting. If worse comes to worse, I can order one now and get one, custom made, in St. John next time, because there will be a next time. I'd love to spend a week in St. Thomas. Thank you so much for all of your help and I know you help many out with questions about St. Thomas and it is appreciated. :)

More support from me, Steelerfan! Go get your bracelet. I purchased mine several years ago at Caravan Gallery in Mongoose Junction http://www.caravangallery.com. Absolutely LOVE it. My husband bought me a second one for Christmas last year (has a petroglyph on it with a hook) and it came from Bamboo in Wharfside Village next to the ferry dock http://www.bamboovi.com

Good luck!

More support from me, Steelerfan! Go get your bracelet. I purchased mine several years ago at Caravan Gallery in Mongoose Junction www.caravangallery.com. Absolutely LOVE it. My husband bought me a second one for Christmas last year (has a petroglyph on it with a hook) and it came from Bamboo in Wharfside Village next to the ferry dock www.bamboovi.com

Good luck!

Thank you! Caravan Gallery was also recommended by someone on the roll call for our cruise. :) I just appreciate all of the help and I definitely know that St. John is the place to go. Wish I knew about the hook bracelets in 2010. Still working on talking DH into going over to St. John. I've let him know that I have several supporters, here and on our roll call. :D