snorkel at HMC

xyzcruiser

I remember seeing a post about this a couple of months ago when I first booked my Sept 27th Pride cruise, but I can't seem to locate it now, so thanks to anyone that will take the time to answer again.

Since I have my own snorkel equipment I wanted to be able to snorkel but also just enjoy the island's other features. Is there okay shore snorkeling here( doesn't have to be great as I have booked snorkeling excursions at the other ports), or is it necessary to book a separate excursion? I thought a previous poster had mentioned snorkeling near the water slide(?) but I can't seem to locate that post. Thanks for your input, Shirl

As with most places, the snorkeling is best away from the sandy beach (no food, no crannies and nooks for fish to hide in) and closer to rocks.

At HMC the best snorkeling is reportedly near the rocks by the Private Oasis, which does have a slide. You won't be allowed into the Oasis proper but you can snorkel around it.

Some have said that at the very far end of the beach there is also good snorkeling by a rocky shoreline, but that the waves and currents there make for a challenging snorkel.

Not the best snorkeling for sure, but definitely some things to see. I snorkel everywhere I go so sometimes it's nice to just explore and see what you can find (for free) in any given port.

We snorkeled up against the wall (to the left side when facing the beach) over by the kiddie area with the water spray in the water. Although not "a lot", there were some interesting things to see.

I have a complete review of our day there with tons of pictures if you are interested. It's located in my signature line.

If you are just looking for the snorkeling pictures, they start on THIS page. Just scroll down the page to find it. It starts around post 349

It is possible to snorkel at the far end of the beach if the sea is calm. Otherwise I would not try it. Walk down the beach until you come to the warning signs and swim out from there. I swam around the corner a bit and came to a really good area, but I saw some jellyfish so I did not stick around. I was unable to attach a couple of pictures I took, but there were some large schools of fish. The last time we had a good experience there was back in 2009 so it may have changed. Since then, it has always been too breezy to see much.