Hesitant about crusing solo

jaimemayo

Hello, I apologize if I am not posting in the right place. I am new to this place and still finding my way around.

I just found out yesterday my long-time cruise companion can no longer accompany me on HAL's SE Asia cruise December 8-22. I would like to go on this cruise but am hesitant about cruising solo. I have never cruised solo before and don't know what it would be like.

I would imagine it might get lonely when I take my meals by myself. I am fine with excursions by myself because there will be other people but am hesitant about being "by myself" for two weeks.

FYI I am a fit male in his late 60's. Thanks so much for any insight you can give me!

Don't be hesitant. I just did a 11 day land/cruise in Alaska solo. Loved it! I did the roll call first day on ship and met some wonderful people. We made arrangements to have dinners together. I also met other wonderful people that I socialized with. And I went and did things on my own. I had a great time and will not hesitate to go solo again. In fact, I'm planning on it. You will have a good time. Just don't be afraid to introduce yourself. And sit at a table with someone else. Don't always sit alone. Enjoy!:)

Hello, I apologize if I am not posting in the right place. I am new to this place and still finding my way around.

I just found out yesterday my long-time cruise companion can no longer accompany me on HAL's SE Asia cruise December 8-22. I would like to go on this cruise but am hesitant about cruising solo. I have never cruised solo before and don't know what it would be like.

I would imagine it might get lonely when I take my meals by myself. I am fine with excursions by myself because there will be other people but am hesitant about being "by myself" for two weeks.

FYI I am a fit male in his late 60's. Thanks so much for any insight you can give me!

If I were you I would go for it, that sounds like a great cruise. I have done all my cruises as a solo and have enjoyed all of them. If you do decide to go, make sure that you join your roll call, and then when aboard ship go to the meet and greet as you will meet some people that you can visit with through out the rest of your cruise. HAL also has the best libraries at sea and also good lecturers and programs, to give you other things to help keep you busy during your cruise. I am used to dining solo so dining was not much of a problem to me. If you prefer fixed dining they will assign you to a table and you will have the same tablemates throughout your cruise. Good Luck.

Go on the cruise! And if you ask for fixed early or late dinner sitting,ask to be seated with other solo diners. HAL usually puts solos together if you ask in advance. HAL usually has a singles/solo group meeting the first night. Sometimes the host for this event buys drinks for everyone! Also sometimes there are single/solo lunches arranged too. I went to one lunch and the cruise director joined us! You will have a good time on HAL! Hope this helps,Kendra

I recommend fixed dining for your first solo cruise. Request a large table and that way you will have tablemates for dinner each evening. Everyone will be willing to chat about the days events. If you don't have fixed dining, call and request to be changed.

Also, join your roll call for your sailing. You can use the roll call to introduce yourself and chat with others before your cruise and maybe plan some excursions together, etc.

I think you'll be just fine. You sound like an otherwise experienced traveler.

I am on NCL Gem solo today is our first day we are supposed to sail at 3pm. I am solo. There is freestyle dining. I just had solo lunch in Grand Pacific dining room. There were 2 other solo ladies in my area of dining.

I find that my attitude changes...project confidence and that being alone is okay.

I had a nice conversation with one of the women about her desert and Alaska. We both said we hope to see each other again. I will go to the 6pm solo meet and greet today. These are easy ways to meet others. Also met others in line to get onboard, gives you some familiar faces to say hi to.

I plan on solo and I am happy with it but if I decide to join someone for a meal or tour I am open to that.

But you should be okay being solo. I remember one woman who became depressed and barely came out for meals.

Cruising solo is the best! I have sailed over 150 days solo and have never been lonely. I agree with the suggestion to have fixed dining at a large table. It's nice to spend part of each evening with the same people.

Having a cabin to yourself and deciding what you want (or don't want) to do can become addictive. Go and enjoy!

Cruising solo is the best! I have sailed over 150 days solo and have never been lonely. I agree with the suggestion to have fixed dining at a large table. It's nice to spend part of each evening with the same people.

Having a cabin to yourself and deciding what you want (or don't want) to do can become addictive. Go and enjoy!

Normally I cruise with one of two girls (one cruise with both)

BUT -----

In December I did a 6 day solo cruise.

In May I did a 7 day solo cruise.

In October I will do a 21 day solo cruise.

Do you see the pattern, once you do solo you don't want to go back.

How addicting is it?

I already have talked to the girls that on future cruises we will get separated solo cabins because having a cabin all to yourself adds a whole level of freedom to a cruise.

Go for it! Go for it! Go for it! You will love the solo experience.

Wow....I am really overwhelmed by the quantity and quality of messages in such a short time extolling the virtues of solo cruising. I'm sold! I'm going to go on the cruise and request to be seated at a large table in the evening, hopefully of other singles. I'm actually pretty comfortable with being by myself but the evening meal will be a great way to connect socially on a regular basis. Thanks everyone :) !

IMO HAL is a fine line for solos. That is likely because the sad fact is that there are so many widows and widowers in our age demographic.

I'm always solo and, as others have recommended here, I always do fixed seating for dinners in MDR. If you don't like the folks at the table to which you're assigned or vice versa (only happened once to me), just ask the DRM for another table.

Enjoy your cruise!

I am also a fit male in his mid-60's. I do not recommend HAL for anyone not looking for "somnolent". I did a TA on HAL, I was so bored I was seriously considering getting off part-way through.

You don't say if you're gay. There's also a GLBT thread which might give you better advice if you are. I don't recall HAL as seeming particularly gay-friendly, although my travel agent here in Toronto does have a lot of gay customers and does sell HAL to them.

Funchal, Madeira, last European port before the crossing. I'm mid-60's, have a heart condition serious enough to get my driver licence suspended, but felt like the fittest and most active person on board. Almost everybody was in bed by 8 PM, I figured, these are old people tired from port stops, but sea days were same thing. I was with a group, even we were finished by 10 PM. I didn't go on their next trip, I don't know exactly what happened, something about the Hotel Manager being in a snit because they were having too much fun, now the group has sworn off HAL as well, so I don't think my experience was atypical. I have great misgivings recommending HAL for anyone describing themselves as "fit".

• 2 months later...

Hi again, I returned from my solo cruise a couple of weeks ago. I was on a HAL ship, the Rotterdam. I loved it. I was never lonely, which was my original fear. I did fixed dining at 8:00 for eight people. Everyone was English at my table except me. I have to admit I have trouble with a strong British accent but my tablemates were very kind to me and invited me to go with them exploring some of the sites. I loved having the cabin to myself. I met a few other solos and we sometimes got together for a drink in the evening or had breakfast together. I like HAL because it is so calm. I don't want a cruise with a bunch of kids or 20-somethings running around. If you are hesitant to travel solo, I say do it! I had a wonderful time and would not hesitate to do it again. BTW, next time I would go for a table of six.

Hi again, I returned from my solo cruise a couple of weeks ago. I was on a HAL ship, the Rotterdam. I loved it. I was never lonely, which was my original fear. I did fixed dining at 8:00 for eight people. Everyone was English at my table except me. I have to admit I have trouble with a strong British accent but my tablemates were very kind to me and invited me to go with them exploring some of the sites. I loved having the cabin to myself. I met a few other solos and we sometimes got together for a drink in the evening or had breakfast together. I like HAL because it is so calm. I don't want a cruise with a bunch of kids or 20-somethings running around. If you are hesitant to travel solo, I say do it! I had a wonderful time and would not hesitate to do it again. BTW, next time I would go for a table of six.

Hi So glad you enjoyed your first solo cruise. I was hoping you would write again and give us your thoughts. I too am very apprehensive but will keep reading these posts until I pluck up courage:)

Hi So glad you enjoyed your first solo cruise. I was hoping you would write again and give us your thoughts. I too am very apprehensive but will keep reading these posts until I pluck up courage:)

Hi Ann, I just returned home from my 40th something solo cruise;):D.....

I had a great time (I always do)......wishing you smooth sailing (should

you decide to go on your own:D).

Oh....cruising solo is the only way I cruise.