If you have cruised out of both the U.S. and Australia/NZ

mlbcruiser

I am not trying to insult or criticize any group of cruisers. Also, I'm not trying to start any debates about the conduct of any nationality. I just want to find out if something I was told recently is accurate information or not so we'll know what to expect when we do an Australian cruise. The answer won't affect whether or not we do such a cruise.

Someone told me that cruisers from "down under" drink much more heavily on cruises that originate in that region than most N. Americans drink on Caribbean and European cruises. (This person specifically mentioned Royal Caribbean.) He said most cruise lines that offer drink packages in other markets shy away from offering those same pkgs. on cruises with mostly Australian passengers because too many of the passengers get snockered to the point of being out of control. Sounds kind of like an urban legend to me. The truth please?

Love to be able to advise but as a Brit I was as oiled as the Aussies [emoji12][emoji482]

Seriously though - I've only done 2 out of Australia, but no sign of any drunkenness. The bars are always busy though! Guess the Aussies can handle their liquor [emoji3]

Someone told me that cruisers from "down under" drink much more heavily on cruises that originate in that region than most N. Americans drink on Caribbean and European cruises. Sounds kind of like an urban legend to me. The truth please?

From our one cruise as detailed below on my live/blog from a year ago, I cannot offer a "scientific sampling." BUT, we did not notice any problems with any excessive drinking, etc., by either Aussies and/or those from other countries during our cruise.

Maybe it would depend on the time of year for this sailing?? For our late January cruise, the audience with this 14-day journey was a little older, fairly tame and well-behaved, etc. Also, this type of cruise can be fairly "port-intensive". If you are busy and focused on day-time tours and visiting local sites, you do not have as much time for wild partying at night.

Personally from cruises in Europe, the Caribbean, etc., we have loved our experiences interacting with those from Australia. Great, interesting, fun folks.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 116,183 views for this posting.

Having cruised out of both Australia (and sailing again tomorrow out of Perth) and the US, as well as several cruise in Europe with large Aussie contigents, it is our opinion that Australians don't drink anymore than Americans.

How soon one forgets the standard image of Carnival, or Spring Break.

As others have posted, we did not see evidence of any drinking problems or Aussies out drinking Americans or Canadians.

I must say that if I didn't live in the USA, I would want to live in Australia. I simply fell in love with the country and its people. It is a fantastic country with great people.

I have read that people from some countries do drink more alcohol than others. Also, the type of drink changes depending on the country.

I seem to recall that countries in Scandinavia and Russia might be the highest.

Here is an article that I just pulled up on the internet.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/05/17/heaviest-drinking-countries/9146227/

I have cruised in Europe, Caribbean and in Australia and New Zealand, and it was my experience that the Ausies did not drink any more than any other nationality. I found them much more civilized when drinking than my countrymen in bars here in Canada. I would also like to point out that in all my travels both at sea and on land, I would place Ausies and New Zealanders at the very top of the list of friendly and helpful people. I liked them so much from my march 2015 visit that I am headed back there again in April. Maybe someone there will adopt me as a family member on this visit.:D

So it's basically just as I expected. We, too, have cruised in a number of areas (though not Aus/NZ) and sure, plenty of people drink. (Including me.) And I know a couple of people who would give anyone a run for their money in a drinking contest, I'm afraid. However, other than a particular person here and there who obviously has had more than was good for them, I imagine most cruisers generally handle their consumption. (Liquor prices are so high on most ships anyway!) On one of our cruises not that long ago a very nice guy at our table routinely drank excessively. He even fell asleep at the dinner table twice - after having too many pre-dinner drinks!

As for where we've noticed the most consumption by a general population in our travels, I will admit, it was a little "different" to us when in Munich, Germany, we saw so many men starting out with large containers of beer early in the morning in what seemed similar to coffee shops. They appeared to be on their way to work, too! Can't say any of them seemed inebriated, though. Kind of like you see people having coffee or pastries in little stand up coffee shops in cities in the U.S. & elsewhere.

Thanks for the input and good reports of some of your cruises. I have no doubt the Aussies and those from NZ are friendly. We certainly plan to be friendly back! :)

Edited by mlbcruiser

The consumption of alcohol in Australia has been steadily falling for many years. One reason is the prevalence of random breathe tests for drivers and another is the increase in migrants from countries with either civilised drinking cultures, such as Italy, or without drinking cultures, such as many Asian countries. We certainly do have the "spring break" culture called "schoolies" and I think there are probably fewer non-drinkers here than in the USA. I hope that you find that many of us drink in a civilised manner. I drink wine most nights even at home but can't stand hangovers!

• 2 weeks later...
Love to be able to advise but as a Brit I was as oiled as the Aussies [emoji12][emoji482]

Seriously though - I've only done 2 out of Australia, but no sign of any drunkenness. The bars are always busy though! Guess the Aussies can handle their liquor [emoji3]

Australia is usually in the top 10 nations in the world, for beer consumption per capita and are getting up there for wine consumption, so many have some experience at it.

I am not trying to insult or criticize any group of cruisers. Also, I'm not trying to start any debates about the conduct of any nationality. I just want to find out if something I was told recently is accurate information or not so we'll know what to expect when we do an Australian cruise. The answer won't affect whether or not we do such a cruise.

Someone told me that cruisers from "down under" drink much more heavily on cruises that originate in that region than most N. Americans drink on Caribbean and European cruises. (This person specifically mentioned Royal Caribbean.) He said most cruise lines that offer drink packages in other markets shy away from offering those same pkgs. on cruises with mostly Australian passengers because too many of the passengers get snockered to the point of being out of control. Sounds kind of like an urban legend to me. The truth please?

I believe consumption is higher, according to Princess, but as I said I've only ever seen a bare handful of people who I would have said were drunk.

I have yet to see drunken Aussies on a ship, but I have seen plenty of drunken New Yorkers/New Jerseyans on a 7-day cruise to Bermuda. I have since avoided the short cruises with the boozers of any nation.

Go on 3 nightwear out of Ydney with Say P&O (a booze cruise) and you will see plenty of drunk Aussies, that why I avoid them.

As an Australian, there is some truth to the original post. Some Australians really do enjoy a drink to the point of passing out. Having said that, Cruises departing from Australia now are meant to adhere to the same Responsible service of Alcohol laws as seen on Mainland Australia. This means Bartenders are not meant to free pour drinks & should keep an eye on passengers who might have had enough.

Also most of the more drunken type aussies you may have heard about are more likely to cruise on the local brand of P&O &/or on cheaper shorter cruises attracting a younger crowd.

You will generally find that cruising on any of the other brands &/or on longer cruises will be no different to cruising anywhere else in the world.