Buenos aires transportation

eveandrex@yahoo.com

Could anyone please inform me of the average taxi or remise fare from Buenos Aires cruise terminal to a city center hotel?

We arrived in BA by air and it cost about $25 or $30 from the airport to our B&B close to town. The airport is farther from downtown than the cruise terminal, which is very close.

We took taxis in BA and found them very inexpensive, however, I seem to have read that the taxis at the cruise terminal have something of a racket. If you can arrange for a private pickup that might be a good thing.

If you do take a taxi, ask the driver in advance (of course he might not speak English) how much in US dollars.

If this is a problem, make sure they use the meter in the taxi.

We have booked a private pickup with English speaking driver for $25 to a Recoletta hotel. We are also using him to go to EZE for $55. Seems like they all want to be paid in US dollars.

Can I ask who you are using, is there a website ? I haven't found anything that reasonable and I would much prefer to book a private driver rather that use taxis. There are 5 of us travelling together. Thanks in advance .. Ruth

• 4 weeks later...
How safe and easy is it to get taxis in BA at night? My sister and I will be dining near our hotel one evening in palermo. Is it safe for women to walk around there at night say 10 - 11 pm? Should we call for a taxi?

Dinner hour does not really get underway in BA until after 9, so 1-11 is not particularly late. Palermo is the largest neighborhood in Buenos Aires. It is frequently divided into more specific areas. Most hotels are in Palermo Soho or Hollywood, both a part of the older part of Palermo (Palermo Viejo). Much of the area has been transformed but some blocks remain kind of dark and forlorn. So it kind of depends on where you are staying and dining. Cabs are plentiful in BA....if you get a bad feel for walking around in the particular area of the restaurant, ask them to phone you a cab. That way the company has a record of which cab driver picked you up, an additional safety facor. Mostly, I just grab cabs from the curb and have never had a problem other than a cabbie or two who want to take me the long way to my destination or who forget to turn on the meter and want to charge too much when we arrive (very rare, but these things do happen once in awhile).

Dinner hour does not really get underway in BA until after 9, so 1-11 is not particularly late. Palermo is the largest neighborhood in Buenos Aires. It is frequently divided into more specific areas. Most hotels are in Palermo Soho or Hollywood, both a part of the older part of Palermo (Palermo Viejo). Much of the area has been transformed but some blocks remain kind of dark and forlorn. So it kind of depends on where you are staying and dining. Cabs are plentiful in BA....if you get a bad feel for walking around in the particular area of the restaurant, ask them to phone you a cab. That way the company has a record of which cab driver picked you up, an additional safety facor. Mostly, I just grab cabs from the curb and have never had a problem other than a cabbie or two who want to take me the long way to my destination or who forget to turn on the meter and want to charge too much when we arrive (very rare, but these things do happen once in awhile).

Thanks so much for the info, That's how it is here in NYC too -- some areas are okay but have a couple of dodgy blocks.

• 2 weeks later...