Boca Catalina and snorkel rental

KatieCharlotte

We're looking for a beach day that will allow DH and DD to snorkel. I had been thinking Baby Beach, but Boca Catalina is much closer (we don't arrive in port until 1 p.m.), we can take the bus, and it looks nicer.

Would you recommend Boca Catalina for strong swimmers who are inexperienced snorkelers? And for the rest of us, who want to relax, swim in shallow water, and dig in the sand?

Is there anywhere to rent snorkel gear near the port, if DH and DD decide not to bring their own? I've heard that Boca Catalina is pretty residential and usually has no vendors.

KatieCharlotte, you have some good questions and unfortunately I don't have any answers. I just have another question. If one does go to Boca Catalina beach how does one go about getting a taxi back to Oranjastad? We'd also be OK with taking a local bus.

KatieCharlotte, you have some good questions and unfortunately I don't have any answers. I just have another question. If one does go to Boca Catalina beach how does one go about getting a taxi back to Oranjastad? We'd also be OK with taking a local bus.

I read that the easiest way back is to take the bus, unless you arrange for a taxi pickup at a specific time. From what I read, the bus comes by every hour and you can see it going past in the opposite direction in time to gather up your things and move to the spot where you got off the bus. I'm not too stressed about it because I figure we'll start looking for the bus at least five hours before our ship's 10 p.m. departure.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

Arashi beach would be the best option for the best of all worlds. See the info below, Arashi beach is last. It is also the last bus stop on that route.

For snorkeling gear, the closest place to rent it would be at Aruba Watersports on Palm Beach. Very inconvenient to stop and pick up if you are going via bus. ;)

Boca Catalina is perfect for swimming and snorkeling. There are a few shade palapas here but no restroom facilities. There are no "real" rest room facilities at all along the coast at either BC, Catalina Cove or Arashi. At times there are chaise lounges available for rent at Arashi beach. It is a beautiful white sand beach.

Below is Boca Catalina

boca_catalinaa.jpg

If you enter at above, Boca Catalina there is a plain white sandy bottom. On some days, early in the morning, you will be able to see your feet. Put your fins on and walk backwards into the water or walk in as far as you need, sit or get into a crouched position and put your fins on there. This is the easiest spot for a beginner.

The snorkeling is a bit better at Catalina Cove below, though it is rocky which makes for a difficult entry. We normally enter the water at Boca Catalina and swim northward due to the difficult entry here at Catalina Cove pictured below. No place to sunbathe unless you bring your own chair and there is no beach at Catalina Cove, again it is rocky.

We normally enter the water at Boca Catalina and swim northward due to the difficult entry here at Catalina Cove pictured below.

catalina_covea.jpg

Catalina Cove, I would definitely put your fins on before entering and just walk backwards as best as you can. If one of you has more tender feet than the other, have the tough foot wade in without, holding your back so you do not fall.

I have further information and photos of this area here.

When we head to Boca Catalina to snorkel there are always other tourists there. It is a popular spot for those folks staying at apartments or villas to have beach access. Dh and I generally ask someone to keep an eye on our towels and of course never bring anything valuable in the first place.

There is a minuscule beach at Malmok. This photo is from 2 years ago. There was a tiny beach here this past December. I snorkeled there and it wasn't worth the time.

malmokf.jpg

Below is Arashi Beach on a day with a few waves, it can be very calm here as well.

arashi_beachh.jpg

Arashi Beach is again pictured below. You can enter here and swim south towards and around the rocks and there is a reef there on the other side for snorkeling.

arashif.jpg

It is a fairly easy walk street side from Arashi southward to Catalina Cove and then Boca Catalina. Malmok beach is further to the south.