What to do in Juneau? I'm so confused and can't decide.

TF34

I need help. Maybe someone has done both: but should we do the seaplane over glaciers with the salmon bake or the whale watching tour? I would love to do both...but need to decide. I have heard that the whale watching tour in Juneau can't be compared to the one in Victoria.

We loved the whale watching excursion in Juneau. You see a lot of whales on the cruise itself, but the excursion gets you up close and allows you to see various pods (if they are in the area).

I haven't done the seaplane excursion, but the helicopter tour to Mendenhall was breathtaking. If you can do both excursions with your time/money, then go for it. Otherwise, I could recommend seeing the whales in Juneau and postponing the seaplane for a future cruise.

I have done both, and one certainly is NOT better that the other. If you have the interest in both- and the time to include them- then doing both may be a good option for you.

There are big differences in whale watching in Juneau vs Victoria- Juneau is 100% sightings of humpbacks, with orcas seen on average twice a week. Victoria- is primarily for the 3 Southern Vancouver Island resident orca pods. this is NOT a 100% sightings area. the animals have a wide range. Another problem is the ship contractors- and evening arrivals- with their shorter whale watches. Shorter means less range.

I have done both, and one certainly is NOT better that the other. If you have the interest in both- and the time to include them- then doing both may be a good option for you.

There are big differences in whale watching in Juneau vs Victoria- Juneau is 100% sightings of humpbacks, with orcas seen on average twice a week. Victoria- is primarily for the 3 Southern Vancouver Island resident orca pods. this is NOT a 100% sightings area. the animals have a wide range. Another problem is the ship contractors- and evening arrivals- with their shorter whale watches. Shorter means less range.

Do you think I will have time to do both? It would be perfect. A dream come true for me :) I could bring my mom on the seaplane tour and then my boyfriend and little boy on the whale tour. Are the seaplanes and boats far from each other?

We booked a small boat (6 passengers) and had a remarkable day with the whales with a stop at Mendenhall Glacier on the way back to the ship. Saw LOTS of whales and took unbelievable photos. We chose whales in Juneau because we had the floatplane booked to visit Misty Fjord in Ketchikan.

We booked a small boat (6 passengers) and had a remarkable day with the whales with a stop at Mendenhall Glacier on the way back to the ship. Saw LOTS of whales and took unbelievable photos. We chose whales in Juneau because we had the floatplane booked to visit Misty Fjord in Ketchikan.

We did the same thing on a large boat on a Holland America excursion. In retrospect, a smaller boat would have been better because it's more maneuverable and we could have gotten closer to the whales. But a boat that's too small risks being swamped by a breaching whale (which has happened).

I recommend a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier. Impressive.

We did the same thing on a large boat on a Holland America excursion. In retrospect, a smaller boat would have been better because it's more maneuverable and we could have gotten closer to the whales. But a boat that's too small risks being swamped by a breaching whale (which has happened).

I recommend a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier. Impressive.

Wrong information- distance is STANDARD for all boats in "how close" you can get to the whales. 100 yards

Your "swamped", claim? If it happened- it was probably - once? Would be an extremely rare event.

Do you think I will have time to do both? It would be perfect. A dream come true for me :) I could bring my mom on the seaplane tour and then my boyfriend and little boy on the whale tour. Are the seaplanes and boats far from each other?

It depends. What is your port time and what are the available times of the tours? Easy to figure out with this information.

Wrong information- distance is STANDARD for all boats in "how close" you can get to the whales. 100 yards

I was on a whale watching boat this past August and I KNOW what I saw.

Your "swamped", claim? If it happened- it was probably - once? Would be an extremely rare event.

http://cottagelife.com/news/humpback-whale-almost-crashes-into-tourism-boat-during-magnificient-breach“

"Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't..” Leo Buscaglia

You're correct about the standard distance. The advantage of a small boat is that it's very fast and they can maneuver around quickly. The operator we used has several boats and they were always in radio communication to let each other know who was "on the whales!" Much more relaxed than a boat with 100+ people!

http://cottagelife.com/news/humpback-whale-almost-crashes-into-tourism-boat-during-magnificient-breach“

"Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't..” Leo Buscaglia

There is NOTHING inaccurate in what I posted.

The boat can only approach a whale to 100 yards, but my understanding is that the whale can approach the boat to whatever distance the whale chooses. I've had a couple of experiences where the whale has chosen to be very close. Not enough of those experiences, but a few :)

The boat can only approach a whale to 100 yards, but my understanding is that the whale can approach the boat to whatever distance the whale chooses. I've had a couple of experiences where the whale has chosen to be very close. Not enough of those experiences, but a few :)

Oh yes, :) Have had some real close looks. Especially- I try to avoid getting in the "blow" range- worse than a garbage dump in July. :)

What the others said is correct. It's also illegal for the charters to intentionally put their boats in the path of whales. That doesn't mean everyone follows the law but the fact remains, it is the law. If a whale breaches near a boat, it's only legal if it's by chance. The USCG and other Alaskan authorities are very strict on marine mammal laws.

Here's an orca that breached right next to us. This was by chance and orcas were all around us in this event. What the Captain did was legal. Had he intentionally put his boat over these whales and law enforcement saw it, he could have been arrested.

ry%3D480

Edited by Aquahound

We loved our whale watching day on our 1st Alaska cruise. We did the helicopter over and on Mendenhall Glacier the 2nd time. Would do both again in a heart beat!! We saw many humpback whales in Auck Bay, and some that came right up to our 6 person boat. It was an amazing day. We're going back for more... next summer.

We loved our whale watching day on our 1st Alaska cruise. We did the helicopter over and on Mendenhall Glacier the 2nd time. Would do both again in a heart beat!! We saw many humpback whales in Auck Bay, and some that came right up to our 6 person boat. It was an amazing day. We're going back for more... next summer.

Sorry, I meant Auke Bay in Juneau.