Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

Dennis,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. So we shall walk if it's not raining or proceed to The Fairmont Waterfront if it is. We are looking forward to our visit to your beautiful city.

Thank you again,

PJ

If you can wheel your bags 3/4 of a mile you'll be fine. Like Dennis I also walk to & from cruises with my bags; Vancouver sidewalks are generally nice & wide and in good condition.

My questions are about the Skytrain from YVR to downtown. We will be in Vancouver Sept 17 arriving mid-afternoon.

1. Can we buy a FareSaver book and share the tickets?

2. We're from the US. Can we get the Concession rate? We're both over 65.

3. I think to get to Vancouver City Centre we would need a 2 zone ticket. If we buy the 10 ticket Faresaver book how do we top it for 2 zones?

4. We would be using buses a couple of times. Do you just show/validate your ticket on the bus?

Anything else I'm missing or need to know? Thanks.....

Answers in red.

My questions are about the Skytrain from YVR to downtown. We will be in Vancouver Sept 17 arriving mid-afternoon.

1. Can we buy a FareSaver book and share the tickets?

Yes - among yourselves or anyone else you like (it's not legal to *charge* for the tickets but you can *give them away*)

2. We're from the US. Can we get the Concession rate? We're both over 65.

Age is all that matters except for the Student concessions - you *might* be asked to show proof of age if you are randomly targeted by transit cops fare-checking

3. I think to get to Vancouver City Centre we would need a 2 zone ticket. If we buy the 10 ticket Faresaver book how do we top it for 2 zones?

Concession FareSavers are all 1 Zone, so it's very common to need to upgrade. All you have to do is (on Skytrain) use the ticket machine - one of the options is buying an AddFare to upgrade the ticket. Select that and it will ask how many Zones you need, 1 or 2 extra. Choose 1 extra zone, pay $1 (local cash, Credit Cards also OK) and insert your ticket when it tells you - it will simultaneously Validate it with a time stamp and print that it was upgraded to a 2 Zone ticket.

4. We would be using buses a couple of times. Do you just show/validate your ticket on the bus?

There's a little machine that validates FareSavers on the top part of the coin collecting apparatus by the driver - only tricky part is getting the ticket the right way round. Look for the cut off corner and the magnetic strip - there's a picture of the ticket so you can see the correct alignment. Due to issues with the new ticketing system all bus trips are now a single Zone regardless of time or day so upgrades shouldn't be an issue.

Anything else I'm missing or need to know? Thanks.....

Sounds like you already researched where you're going if you know you need buses and Skytrain, so I can't think of anything that jumps out at me you may have overlooked... oh, do you know *where* to buy FareSavers at YVR? They are not sold at the platform, but in the pharmacies inside the terminal (7-Eleven and Pharmasave).

1. yes you can share the tickets.

2. yes you can get the concession rate. Proof of age helps.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Single-Fares.aspx

3. 2 zone applies to weekday service before 6:30pm. Concession tickets are only good for one zone. You pay the difference to the driver or by pushing the "add fare" button on the subway machines.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/FareSaver-Tickets.aspx

4. Just insert the faresaver tickets into the bus machines for validation. You have 90 minutes of travel.

There will be some changes in October, but you will be gone by then.

Answers in red.

Sounds like you already researched where you're going if you know you need buses and Skytrain, so I can't think of anything that jumps out at me you may have overlooked... oh, do you know *where* to buy FareSavers at YVR? They are not sold at the platform, but in the pharmacies inside the terminal (7-Eleven and Pharmasave).

1. yes you can share the tickets.

2. yes you can get the concession rate. Proof of age helps.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Single-Fares.aspx

3. 2 zone applies to weekday service before 6:30pm. Concession tickets are only good for one zone. You pay the difference to the driver or by pushing the "add fare" button on the subway machines.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/FareSaver-Tickets.aspx

4. Just insert the faresaver tickets into the bus machines for validation. You have 90 minutes of travel.

There will be some changes in October, but you will be gone by then.

Thanks for your quick replies. :)

Just wanted to thank the locals that keep this thread updated and supply all the good information. I was just in your beautiful city a couple of weeks ago and plan on trying to spend a couple of days extra when I'm there again next year.

We had a very good experience using the Landsea tour company that picked us up at our hotel, showed us a good sampler of the city and then dropped us off at the cruise ship. They had already dropped our luggage off with the porters and the next time we saw it was in our room. If it hadn't of been for the good information here I wouldn't have known of this service. It worked real well for us.

Vancouver truly is a city to be proud of. For those that haven't been there before I would seriously consider an extra day or more there.

• 2 weeks later...
Our cruise doesn't depart until November 8. Does the HOHO Trolley operate year-round? And if so, does it operate on a reduced schedule in off season?

Yes, the Vancouver Trolley does operate year round. It does go on a winter sked about now but I am unable to find it. If you go to their website you will find a 1-800 number you can call re their winter sked.

Yes, the Vancouver Trolley does operate year round. It does go on a winter sked about now but I am unable to find it. If you go to their website you will find a 1-800 number you can call re their winter sked.

I had the same problem -- couldn't find any off-season schedule on their website -- felt like an idiot! I'll give 'em a call. Thank you!

Edited by BEAV

Our cruise doesn't depart until November 8. Does the HOHO Trolley operate year-round? And if so, does it operate on a reduced schedule in off season?

Both companies work in November . Don't pre buy your tickets . November is normally a wet and rainy month. Plan on something else if raining.

https://westcoastsightseeing.com/hop-on-hop-off/sightseeing-pass/

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tours

hi,

I like to look around in shops for Fountain pens and Stationary.

Are there any MUST SEE shops in Downtown Vancouver B C area that might be fun to look at?

I'm looking for low end to middle end pens..

thanks all. this is a great thread...

hi,

Are there any MUST SEE shops in Downtown Vancouver B C area that might be fun to look at?

When I worked in the city I used to enjoy a visit to the Vancouver Pen Shop and while they don't appear to web site this link may help you.

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/storesofnote/vancouverpen.html

hi,

Obsessions carries Cross products and sells a range of stuff as well as pens (I found my wife a very nice business card case and had it engraved right there & then); Charals has been around for years and years - their Sinclair centre store is close to Canada Place plus they just opened a new store inside the Blu hotel on Robson. On the stationery side of things Granville Island has Paper-Ya and if you don't need fancy paper necessarily, then Yokoyaya has some delightfully wacky Japanese stationery with cute designs & characters as well as a ridiculous variety of Stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Starting research for our cruise next July. Looking for hotel for July 27 & 28. I have been reading the boards, but would like to know which would be the best hotel between these two.

The Hampton downtown on Robson or the Best Western Chateau Granville...they are both around the same price...just want a decent place...we usually stay in Hamptons.

Not sure what we will be doing, but thinking Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park and Capilano Bridge.

Thanks for any help.

Di

Di, I would definitely choose the Hampton Inn on Robson. The Best Western-Chateau Granville is in the Granville Entertainment District which can get pretty rowdy at night when the bars and clubs close. The Hampton is in a much quieter area, as you know has a great breakfast and while I haven't checked recently historically has offered a free shuttle to Canada Place.

I am from the US and have never been to Canada so all information is helpful.

My dh and I are renewing our wedding vows after 42 years of marriage on the Star Princess. We want to complete our "honeymoon" with a Tally Ho carriage ride in Vancouver.

Is Tally Ho close to the airport? We will need transportation from the cruise ship to the hotel and then the next day to the airport. Is that possible? :) :)

I am from the US and have never been to Canada so all information is helpful.

My dh and I are renewing our wedding vows after 42 years of marriage on the Star Princess. We want to complete our "honeymoon" with a Tally Ho carriage ride in Vancouver.

Is Tally Ho close to the airport? We will need transportation from the cruise ship to the hotel and then the next day to the airport. Is that possible? :) :)

To my knowledge there are no horse drawn carriage rides in Vancouver expect for the one that operates in Stanley Park. The Talley Ho rides operate in Victoria which is on Vancouver Is. Congrats on your anniversary Dudette and I just celebrated our 45 th last weekend.