port location in Rio

mljatsea

Our ship will be in Rio overnight next month but leaving at noon the second day. I have a private guide lined up for the first day but only 7 hours. We don't want to go to the evening samba show offered as a shore ex. Too many negative reviews on TA. Is the port near anything we might want to do in the evening that we might reach by taxi? I know dinner begins late in SA. Also, the next morning I think we will go with a shore ex to insure returning in time. Only morning choices are Christ the Redeemer, which we will probably see on the first day, or Sugarloaf. Would appreciate advice.

Many thanks.

The port is quite near most all the tourist sights.

In the evening, you could go to a samba club in the Lapa neighborhood. A good local one is Carioca da Gema. There is also the multi-floor Scenarium. Bound to be better than a show staged for tourists.

Remember you need a clear day to see any of the iconic views from the Cristo or Sugarloaf. At this time of year, clear weather is not guaranteed.

We booked a local guide to take us to the Lapa district. First of all, we went to a bar which served local snacks which were delicious. Next we went to a bar with a band who were playing samba music with people just getting up to dance. Last of all we went to the late night street market where there was street food, they mixed cocktails for you and great music again. We had a fantastic evening and saw how Rio really rocks at night.

We booked a local guide to take us to the Lapa district. First of all, we went to a bar which served local snacks which were delicious. Next we went to a bar with a band who were playing samba music with people just getting up to dance. Last of all we went to the late night street market where there was street food, they mixed cocktails for you and great music again. We had a fantastic evening and saw how Rio really rocks at night.

That sounds wonderful, might have to include that in our itinerary in Rio on 2017. Thanks for the great information[emoji6]

Just want you to know that there are a couple of different places that you might be docked. One is in a very seedy area so don't walk around there at night.

In general be careful particularly at night at Rio. And this is not me being an alarmist. We love Rio but we use a lot more caution there than we do in some other places.

Keith

Sailing in and out:

What the new construction looks like (tour guide Rafa instructing clients how to find their way):

This is what is planned for the port area....eventually. (At the very beginning, before the new is superimposed over the existing, you can get a quick glimpse of the current pier and surroundings.)

This is the important history they've found during construction:

Edited by VidaNaPraia

While the port itself isn't in the best of areas. I think facilities for cruise ship arrivals have improved and while you probably wouldn't walk many places from there (even nearby downtown), many tourist sites and restaurants are easily accessible by taxi. Does the cruise line offer options other than the samba show? If you don't want to eat on board (price included, right?), you could talk with fellow passengers about going to a restaurant (maybe a churrascaria meat place if it appeals) together.

Historic Ilha Fiscal (free tours offered as I recall) is nearby as is a naval museum.

Historic Ilha Fiscal (free tours offered as I recall) is nearby as is a naval museum.

What a good idea. The buildings on Ilha Fiscal have always seemed to me a Disney like fairy tale castle.

Photo: http://www.chocolate-fish.net/img_-4302

You can see them from the ferry leaving Praca XV for Niteroi (a scenic 12 minute crossing with immediate return available) but I concur that there is a dedicated tour.

W-Sun at 1; 2:30; 4. Adults R$10 The naval museum is what the buildings hold to tour.