Can anyone explain Labadee, Haiti?

Gingee

Labadee used to be such a lovely, quiet beach spot. Little besides chairs, umbrellas, a buffet, and a small craft market...that was years ago, when you could lounge on a quiet beach and maybe walk along the coast. They had the zipline, but that was about it, and you had to go to the other side to see it.

Now, it's like Disneyland Haiti. Aside from the zipline, they have waterslides, a coaster, an inflatable water park, jet skis, tram, signage everywhere, cabanas built on the water line, one of the best beaches cordoned off for suite guests...blech. In other words, they figured out how to make a lot more $$$, which in turn ruined the quiet, tropical atmosphere. There is now no quiet, secluded spot on the entire peninsula.

Many "quiet" spots to be had at Labadee, and the Cabana's also very quiet...:)....K.O.

Were newbies to cruising (2 previous), but not to traveling. I was very disappointed with Labadee. I love to visit far and away places devoid of all the touristy things. Labadee is something Royal Caribbean built for their passengers. Reminded me so much of Disneyland. We wanted to see the true Haiti and not some mere fabrication!

I understand there is quite a behind the scenes story on exactly how Labadee was negotiated, with the Haitians. Something to do with shared responsibilities-resources, in exchange for a piece of the profits.

Take a trip to Haiti!.......:rolleyes:

Does anyone know what the charge is for a cabana and what is included with it?

Cabanas range from $175 to $250 per cabana. They come with 6 wristbands, so that's the max number of people per cabana, adult or child. If the cabana is on Barefoot Beach, it also comes with access to an upgraded lunch buffet. I believe they came with several 1L bottles of Evian, and some floating mats.

Some of the comments and 'rolling eye' emoticons tells me I may have been misunderstood.

We are very naive, with regards to cruising. I assumed shore excursions would have been similar to Regent Seven Seas, where one could travel about freely or via shore excursions. We knew nothing about Haiti or as others have posted armed guards. Labadee just wasn't what we expected.

My wife's family planned the trip as a family reunion, plus celebrating mother in laws 81st birthday. They picked the cruise and our total party was about 18 people. We joined the cruise because of reunion and had no input as to which cruise or ports o call. We learn through experiences and advice. For future cruises, I now know to ask if a specific cruise has these types of 'private islands' prior to booking. I also learned to research the ports o call as well.

With regards to Labadee, yes it was wonderful, clean, water craft rentals and a zip-line. Even with all of it's passengers, I never felt it was overcrowded and one could easily find a spot to rest and have a cool beverage.

Best wishes

Thanks for posting the map. We will be visiting Labadee for the first time this November. I heard that to find quiet take the shuttle to the last stop. However your map show two directions you could go when you get off the ship. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which has the most quiet and shade? Thanks.

We love Labadee as a beach stop and we purposely chose cruises that stop there. Walk off the ship and walk to the beach. There are young men there to put a lounge chair out for you wherever you choose. Most people tip them. No taxis to deal with, and food is included but be advised there is usually a line for the barbeque. The shade is usually a little further from the water and of course the further you sit from the water the quieter it is. How busy the beach is depends on the number of people on your ship, the weather and sometimes there are 2 ships.

One difference between the beaches is that the water/beaches on the top of the map is the Atlantic Ocean so it is rougher and has many more rocks. We prefer the bay beaches. If the weather cooperates they are wonderful.

Were newbies to cruising (2 previous), but not to traveling. I was very disappointed with Labadee. I love to visit far and away places devoid of all the touristy things. Labadee is something Royal Caribbean built for their passengers. Reminded me so much of Disneyland. We wanted to see the true Haiti and not some mere fabrication!

I understand there is quite a behind the scenes story on exactly how Labadee was negotiated, with the Haitians. Something to do with shared responsibilities-resources, in exchange for a piece of the profits.

Trust me. I will never forget the first cruise I was on. NCL Skyward. First stop Cap Hatien Haiti. Took a donkey ride tour to a fort built to keep Napoleon at bey. The Citadel. I will never forget the living hell that Haiti is. There was a sandbar island in the middle of the port. It had roaming dogs on it. Those dogs ate the inhabitants. It was the place lepers went to die. 1977. I was ten. I have never forgotten that scene nor the anguishing poverty. Labadee is a fantasy of true Haiti. The rest of the nation is deforested with little land value. Locals eat a pancake fortified with dirt. Yes, dirt. There aren't too many other nations on planet earth as poorly managed and with so little prospects. Napoleon never came.

Do you have to reserve ahead of time or can you get off the cruise and go on a shuttle without much planning and reservations? It's hard to figure this out bc RCI doesn't have a lot of info on their site. Looking for beach, relaxation, cabana/umbrella...if possible. Food, drinks, relaxation. No rides or anything.

You will need to pay and reserve a cabana if you want one and if one is available. Suite guests get them first.

There is no real planning or other reservations. You just get off the ship and find your spot on the beach. The whole area is walkable but a shuttle train is available for free if prefer not to walk to places. An inclusive BBQ lunch is provided, look at the map where these are served.

Labadee used to be such a lovely, quiet beach spot. Little besides chairs, umbrellas, a buffet, and a small craft market...that was years ago, when you could lounge on a quiet beach and maybe walk along the coast. They had the zipline, but that was about it, and you had to go to the other side to see it.

Now, it's like Disneyland Haiti. Aside from the zipline, they have waterslides, a coaster, an inflatable water park, jet skis, tram, signage everywhere, cabanas built on the water line, one of the best beaches cordoned off for suite guests...blech. In other words, they figured out how to make a lot more $$$, which in turn ruined the quiet, tropical atmosphere. There is now no quiet, secluded spot on the entire peninsula.

My point exactly! My husband and I were just talking about that. This was a location I use to purchase local unique art work and statues. Unfortunately it's become soooooooooo commercial now, I can find the the same trinkets on every island. It didn't use to be like that[emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need to pay and reserve a cabana if you want one and if one is available. Suite guests get them first.

There is no real planning or other reservations. You just get off the ship and find your spot on the beach. The whole area is walkable but a shuttle train is available for free if prefer not to walk to places. An inclusive BBQ lunch is provided, look at the map where these are served.

Nellies Beach cabanas are for everyone, Barefoot Beach is for suite guests. You cannot reserve them online anymore. Just get on board early and go to the excursions desk. Everyone has their own opinion, but I like them and they are worth it to me. My favorite are the Hilltops, and you have access to the upgraded buffet because they are connected to Barefoot Beach by a path.

Sure there is. We always find lounge chairs, in the shade, in a quieter location. Just don't go where the crowds go and there's always quiet and shade. Labadee is still enjoyable without spending one cent.

Quiet"er" being the operative word here. Yes, loungers and shade are very easy to come by. But quiet? You're surrounded on any given beach by 300 of your cruise friends.

Our first trip to Labadee we tendered in, and our party of four were the ONLY ones at Nellie's Beach. Now THAT was quiet.

As far as "authentic" Haitian merchandise, the indoor market area does have some fair trade items that were made in Haiti!

Edited by micmacmissy

As far as "authentic" Haitian merchandise, the indoor market area does have some fair trade items that were made in Haiti!

Yes but please watch yourself and your children if you have them with you, they workers there can be very aggressive (as with any island if you allow it, not picking on those from Haiti).

Tim

My best tips for labadee:

• Get a locker in the beginning of the day. It's inexpensive (I wanna say $7??) and you'll have the peace of mind that your valuables are safe. You can choose any open locker and change lockers throughout the day as you wish. We loved not feeling like someone had to stay with our "stuff" on the chairs and to have a temporary place to leave our purchases before going back to the ship.

• Get off the ship early for the best choice of spots. All the "good" spots will be well populated by the time the ship has been in port for a couple hours. We got off about 30 minutes after passengers were cleared for debarkation and had the island to ourselves for about an hour before the crowds showed up.

• Pre-book any "excursions" you want to do because there is limited supply since people can't book outside the ship excursion activities.

• The dragons breath coaster is TONS of fun. If you think you want to go once, you might just consider all day access because you'll want to go a second time.

• If you think you might one to do the zip line DO IT! You will not regret it.

• If you don't like high pressure sales, stay away from the shopping area. My husband and I communicate with sign language when in areas like this because we have a very hard time saying no to people/ walking away. When they see us signing, they assume we can't hear them and move to an "easier" target. If you're like us but want to go through the market to the other beach, you can ride the tram/trolley (whatever you wanna call it) right though there without being hassled.

• If you drink alcohol, try a Labadoosie.

Hope any of that helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi.

We are a family of 11. We have my mom sailing who will be 70, my family 17-50 and my sisters family 7-50. We all want to be on the beach together so no adult only beach for us this trip LOL

Where do I want us to set up for the day? For instance, on DCL, I know I want to be at the end of the Family Beach right next to the cabanas since it is the quietest.

So, I'm asking for a Family Beach where the location is the most quiet where I can have lounge chairs and umbrellas.

Thank you.

I agree, we are going to Labadee for the 6th time and love it love it...

Awesome.

Relaxing place.

Love it.[/quote

Is it had to find an umbrella , we have beach blankets and we were considering talking our sport umbrella, and do the kids have to pay to play on the floating water toys.

Gail