Late flight out

Patbeth

Im not sure how to go about this. Get in to Port everglades on Conquest Sun Nov 22. Our flight leaves at 8 pm. 6 people total, 4 teens and us. No mobility issues. Thought about a day room but selection seems limited. So Luggage is an issue. Thought about renting a car for day, but logistics seem like a PIA, plus we need a minivan so pretty spendy. Also DH not thrilled with this option. Im considering just pricelining a room, but usually cant check in till 3 so that seems like a waste of money. Can we check in early? How hard is that if I priceline? I also dont know what area on priceline to try for, near the port or near the airport or beach? How much to cab from the port area to airport, or beach area to airport approx? Seems like our last day we should at least be able to look at the water. I dont want to worry about traffic near the airport or getting to airport since that is a pretty busy pre thanksgiving travel day. Best way to get from Port to whatever hotel? I assume cabs? Thanks for any help or advice you have for me.

I would take another look at the rental car option - 2 standard cars should be cheaper than one mini-van.

What date are you cruising/returning? :confused: If you can't find a day room in Fort Lauderdale, some of the large Miami Beach hotels (40-50+ minutes from PE) offer day passes for their pool/beach/spa areas. Hollywood beach is even closer.

www.between9and5.com is one source for finding hotels with day rooms; I would also check www.sunny.org or just call some of the large beachfront hotels in the FLL area and ask about day rates - if you can use the pool, beach, and changing rooms do you need a room? :confused:

I do not know any trans. company that would do that in Miami, but in Orlando we use a company that provides luggage storage.

They will pick you up from the port or any other location and take you to any destination (attraction or mall). They will store your luggage in the office for as long as you need. When the driver return to pick you up and take you to the airport the luggage will be already in the vehicle. Very convenient. And the storage itself is only $35 - $45 for the whole day.

See if you can find a similar service in Miami.

patbeth- we are in the same boat as you...haha literally we are on Conquest returning on 11/22 and our flight leaves at 7:30pm. I have looked at several options and renting a car seemed to be the best. Just book one and keep checking for cheaper car rentals as they change almost weekly, mine has dropped about $30 and I am returning it to MIA. You should be able to find a cheap van in FLL and returning to FLL, this way you will not have to worry about luggage and can go explore and find something to do for the day.

This is what I'd do.

I'd priceline a beach hotel to check in on the 22nd the day your cruise returns.

As soon as you find out which hotel, call them and tell them that you are using it as a day room.

If your room is ready, and they will try to make it ready knowing you are a day room, you can unload your bags and head for the pool and the beach.

If the room isn't ready, they will hold your bags until your room is ready and you can still use the pool and all the hotel facilities.

Most of the beach hotels are within walking distance to restaurants or if not, worse case scenario http://www.DeliveryDudes.com for delivery.

Hopefully Uber will be back next week and you can Uber to the hotel.

This is what I'd do.

I'd priceline a beach hotel to check in on the 22nd the day your cruise returns.

As soon as you find out which hotel, call them and tell them that you are using it as a day room.

If your room is ready, and they will try to make it ready knowing you are a day room, you can unload your bags and head for the pool and the beach.

If the room isn't ready, they will hold your bags until your room is ready and you can still use the pool and all the hotel facilities.

Most of the beach hotels are within walking distance to restaurants or if not, worse case scenario http://www.DeliveryDudes.com for delivery.

Hopefully Uber will be back next week and you can Uber to the hotel.

Great plan.

Blue Heron, thank you! I need to run it by DH, but I think your plan is the one we are going with. I have a question about Uber. I have never used it before. Can we use Uber to pick us up at airport on the day we arrive? We get in super early,so are heading to a publix near the port, that has an early restaurant nearby to kill time before we can board. Then a cab or uber to port. How does uber compare to a cab? How much would an uber be from port to your 4 star beach hotel, and then uber back to airport? How do I book an uber as well? Thanks so much for all of the helpful info on this board. How far is the beach from the airport timewise, so I know what time to head out?

Blue Heron, thank you! I need to run it by DH, but I think your plan is the one we are going with. I have a question about Uber. I have never used it before. Can we use Uber to pick us up at airport on the day we arrive? We get in super early,so are heading to a publix near the port, that has an early restaurant nearby to kill time before we can board. Then a cab or uber to port. How does uber compare to a cab? How much would an uber be from port to your 4 star beach hotel, and then uber back to airport? How do I book an uber as well? Thanks so much for all of the helpful info on this board. How far is the beach from the airport timewise, so I know what time to head out?

Right now Uber and Lyft aren't operating in Fort Lauderdale but there is yet another hearing with the commissioners next week. I'm sure BlueHerons or Royalcruz will post the results (I'll be on a cruise :D).

Edited by capriccio

Hi everybody.

We're in the same situation. We'll disembark from the Emerald Princess on Nov. 7 with a flight from FLL at 6:30pm. Here's my plan. Princess (and also RCCL, so perhaps also your line, is Conquest Celebrity or Carnival?) has a service where for a fee you leave your bags in the hall on the final night and the cruise line tags them for your return flight as well as checks you in for the flight. They then transport your bags to the airport, you don't even see them or deal with them at all until you arrive at your home airport and pick them up at baggage claim. I checked with the phone rep at Princess and their service is available for departures up to midnight. So, we'll use that service, put our swimsuits and a can of spray on sunscreen in our carry on, and grab a cab to the nearest decent beach. Later, we'll somehow change and grab a cab to the airport. We'll be sticky with sunscreen for the return flight home, but we won't have spent 100 dollars to rent a hotel for the day. This is all provided of course that it's a sunny day. If it's a lousy day, we'll spend a long boring day at the airport I guess....I'll load a couple good movies on my Kindle to kill time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

We're in the same boat in December. Our flight out isn't until 8 pm after we disembark the Equinox. We've gotten a day room at the Renaissance from 11-5. It's somewhere for the 5 of us to leave our bags and have a shower available after time at the beach or pool.

We used the website hotels by day.

Have a great cruise

Beth