Any cruise lines canceling Israel

dabear

As a result of recent violence in Israel in the old city of Jerusalem, west bank and Gaza has any cruise line cancelled stops in Israel?

Edited by dabear

As a result of recent violence in Israel in the old city of Jerusalem, west bank and Gaza has any cruise line cancelled stops in Israel?

I would guess not and how many cruise folks go to the West Bank or Gaza? If you stay away from the Temple Mount, you should be okay. I am in the midst of planning my first trip to Israel in 22 years. Can't wait.

There's been grief in the area since the birth of Israel (1946?), and if you dig out your dusty history books it goes back thousands of years before that - Roman occupation, the Crusades, etc ad infinitum.

IMHO risks are no greater now than at any time in recent years.

Grief within Gaza & the West Bank won't directly affect cruisers.

The port of Haifa & the north (Nazareth, Galilee, etc) is peaceful, the different factions seem to get along OK.

The port of Ashdod can be affected from time to time because it's within rocket range of the Gaza Strip - there have been short-term cancellations in recent years.

Jerusalem has its troubles from time to time, they tend to flare up at short notice & can affect plans to visit but tourists can avoid trouble-spots. I'm not aware that tourists have ever been targeted.

Risks involving such troubles need to be kept in perspective. Just like most of the world, there's far more risk of a traffic accident, twisting an ankle, etc.

I don't think any cruise lines are currently cancelling, but there's always the possibility of a last-minute change of itinerary depending on circumstances a the time. Troubles come & go quite quickly.

We put off visiting Israel for literally decades, waiting for things to settle down - then realised they're not likely to settle down in our lifetime so we took the plunge. So glad we did - a fascinating country overloaded with sights for those of any religion or no religion.

Chances of a cancellation are higher than elsewhere, but it's a chance you take.

JB :)

I know one cruise line that cancelled port stops in Israel for September of this year but that one was done many months ago.

The question is not only about cancellations but it is about whether lines will include itineraries that include not only Israel but other countries in the Middle East and for many that is less likely.

We have visited Israel a couple of times and I consider it one of the safest places to visit as I also do New York City. They have terrific security and take it very seriously.

Keith

I know one cruise line that cancelled port stops in Israel for September of this year but that one was done many months ago.

The question is not only about cancellations but it is about whether lines will include itineraries that include not only Israel but other countries in the Middle East and for many that is less likely.

We have visited Israel a couple of times and I consider it one of the safest places to visit as I also do New York City. They have terrific security and take it very seriously.

Keith

I agree. We've previously visited Israel as well as many troubled spots before & also have had port stops changed (eg our port stops for Egypt in 2012 were cancelled 24 hours before docking), I was just curious about the recent events in Israel. So far our Celebrity cruise of 10/23/15 has lost a day in Istanbul & if we lost any time in Israel, it would be really disappointing.

I agree. We've previously visited Israel as well as many troubled spots before & also have had port stops changed (eg our port stops for Egypt in 2012 were cancelled 24 hours before docking), I was just curious about the recent events in Israel. So far our Celebrity cruise of 10/23/15 has lost a day in Istanbul & if we lost any time in Israel, it would be really disappointing.

You are less than a couple of weeks away. You look good right now. My daughter, who was 16 in 2014, went on a 5-week trip and actually saw the Iron Dome in action shooting down bombs. They had to cut their trip short by a week, but what can you do? If there are bombings, that would be enough for the cruise lines to stay away. I haven't been to Israel in 22 years and I miss it in the worst way. However, I do remember my immediate reaction upon seeing IDF teenagers carrying around rifles. At first, I thought about what Israelis life with and how they live with it and after that, it just gave me comfort. Enjoy your time in Israel.

As an Israeli, my way of looking at what happens around me is way different and probably more realistic then from the tourists side. However, watching the news and the unpropotional cover of the events, as if the end of the world had began, starting in Israel, I can understand people who have second thoughts about coming here, and that is a great pity as you should understand, that even today Israel is one of the safest place, pronbebly more safe than a lot of places in USA.

However, some cruise companies had changed their plans for Israel. Costa had canceled Ashdod and move to stay overnight in Haifa. So did Thomson. Do far RCCL haven't changed their call tomorrow to Ashdod.

Unfortunately what is happening now is that the companies, although not canceling Israel, they are canceling the tours to Jerusalem and Bethlehem....

So if you are coming in the next 2 weeks, except some changes in the tours. Personally I think it is an act of panic by the cruise companies, but if you want private (and safe) tours are always an option...

RCI at least has performed the immigration procedure with Israeli officials onboard doing a face to face with all guest today so I assume all on track for Ashdod.

Do you know if there will be free shuttles to the port gate and if yes do you have a description of the port gate address I could pass on to a local for arranging pick up? RCI offers a 15$ shuttle to Sea Mall Shopping Centre. Does this make sense or will a local have an easier time meeting us at the port gate (if we can get there...)? kind regards & thanks Werner

RCI at least has performed the immigration procedure with Israeli officials onboard doing a face to face with all guest today so I assume all on track for Ashdod.

Do you know if there will be free shuttles to the port gate and if yes do you have a description of the port gate address I could pass on to a local for arranging pick up? RCI offers a 15$ shuttle to Sea Mall Shopping Centre. Does this make sense or will a local have an easier time meeting us at the port gate (if we can get there...)? kind regards & thanks Werner

We had a free RCI shuttle to the port gate at Ashdod a few years back. The gate is a pretty featureless area, no shops, cafes etc - but assuming your contact has a car, waiting at the port gate is the simplest.

The difficulty in forecasting a time is increased if you take the shuttle to the Mall, though it sounds like a more amenable place to meet.

If the meeting goes belly-up, there are taxis at the port gate.

JB :)

A friend of mine is supposed to dock in Ashdod tomorrow. She will let me know if they do or not.

Please report back on this thread. We will be docking in Israel 2 weeks from today, G-d willing!

We've also arranged a small group tour of 6 pax. Hopefully this will draw less attention than a large group. I recall visiting the Golan Heights one morning & heard there was a bombing there shortly after our visit. Dw recalls visiting Hebron and her car was attacked by protesters. We still want to return to Israel!!!

Edited by dabear

Please report back on this thread. We will be docking in Israel 2 weeks from today, G-d willing!

We've also arranged a small group tour of 6 pax. Hopefully this will draw less attention than a large group. I recall visiting the Golan Heights one morning & heard there was a bombing there shortly after our visit. Dw recalls visiting Hebron and her car was attacked by protesters. We still want to return to Israel!!!

Just heard from my friend on the Explorer and they were just told their port of call for tomorrow, Ashdod, has been cancelled. I'll know more later.

It appears the Costa Pacifica has changed itinerary to Haifa from Ashdod for their stop in the area tomorrow.

I live in Israel next to the sea of Galilea. It maybe that cruise lines will change their itineries to stop in Haifa as apposed to Ashdod. Passengers stopping in Ashdod usually travel to Jerusalem which is probably more sensitive than usual right now.

There are so many wonderful trips from Haifa port too, especially as the Northern region is quiet right now & there is so much to see. Tiberies region has amazing religious sites to visit. I recently visited Zippori which is the reached via Haifa port.

Sefat ,Haifa, Caesaria, Akko, Rosh Hanikra are all great places to visit from Haifa port.

If cruise ships decide to visit Haifa instead, of Ashdod there really are so many possible excursion options available. I will be in Haifa today, so it'll be interesting to see if there are cruise ships there.

Hebron is usually a sensitive area & wouldn't be recommended.

If cruise ships do skip Ashdod for Haifa, don't be disheartened. There is so much to see just in Haifa itself.

I spent the day there today & it was delightful.

I went to Bat Galim Beach, which is close to the cruise port. There's a lovely promenade where you can take the cable car to the peak for a wonderful panorma view of Haifa. Of course, you could visit the German Settlement & Bahai Gardens. Lots & lots to see without going far.

If cruise ships do skip Ashdod for Haifa, don't be disheartened. There is so much to see just in Haifa itself.

I spent the day there today & it was delightful.

I went to Bat Galim Beach, which is close to the cruise port. There's a lovely promenade where you can take the cable car to the peak for a wonderful panorma view of Haifa. Of course, you could visit the German Settlement & Bahai Gardens. Lots & lots to see without going far.

I have been assured by my tour operator that should the ship divert to Haifa, they will pick us up there and do the same tours as they would normally do out of Ashdod, ( subject to the security situation, of course.)

It appears the Costa Pacifica has changed itinerary to Haifa from Ashdod for their stop in the area tomorrow.

Actually, It appears Costa skipped Haifa and went to Cyprus instead.

Edited by sylmack

I have been assured by my tour operator that should the ship divert to Haifa, they will pick us up there and do the same tours as they would normally do out of Ashdod, ( subject to the security situation, of course.)

Just bear in mind that Haifa is a good two hour ride to Jerusalem one way, or more.