Malt Shop/Flower Power Cruise Questions

Peggy Tuten

We just returned from Fort Lauderdale and spent the night before our cruise at Hyatt Place. The rooms were clean, the breakfast good, and they have a free shuttle from the airport. Also for $7.00 a person there is a private shuttle that takes you to the pier. The group the shuttles by ship so you don't have to make a bunch of stops. The cost is similar to the Embassy and a little higher then the Renaissance but overall it is probably a better deal. Also within two blocks of the Harbor shops and next door to an outback.

Do you know if you bring some old album covers if the singers will autograph them. Don't want to try and back them if I am going to bring them back without an autograph

just home from the Malt shop cruise they were limiting items to be signed to 2 & no photos at the signing event but I am sure if you asked the entertainers around the ship they would pose for photos with you

Is that two items total or two items per group? I don't have that much stuff that I could possibly get in a suit case, just a couple of album covers

They had some scheduled autograph sessions with some entertainers but the lines were long so limited the items to 2 per entertainer but if you saw them around the ship I am sure they would sign extra items

One man had a guitar he was getting autographs on

Good to know what is going on with these entertainers, especially from those that just posted after being off their cruise.

if you are planning to do the 2016 cruise booking open tomorrow Nov 12th

The cruise was over 50% sold on the ship ..so get on the list early

Edited by LHT28

• 5 weeks later...

This is not a 'Caribbean cruise'.....it's a theme cruise that just happens to be sailing in the Caribbean. You are paying for the entertainment on board along with your food and stateroom. So many people think this is just a cruise but it is not - it's non stop entertainment with some of the greatest artists of the past.....that just happens to be on a chartered ship. The 'cruise' part of this is the least important although the ports are interesting in themselves. We didn't care where we were on the 2014 Malt Shop Memories Cruise....it was meeting and mingling with the entertainers all week that made it the cruise of a lifetime for us. We signed up for the Flower Power Cruise in 2016 since we're in the '60's' crowd although I'd love to see Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons and the Lettermen.

• 3 years later...
On 6/10/2015 at 6:54 PM, Pachouli Girl said:

I am totally with you Peggy Tuten and "on the fence" about this also. Good figuring on your part too! I just called them at 1-844-700-3569 and they offered me $100.00 off each ticket (there are two of us) BUT told me that $250.00 EACH is additionally going to be added on for "gratuities and taxes." So total for the $1399.00 room would be $1649.00-well, minus the $100.00 each offer so that would make it $1549.00 each person. PLUS your ship doesn't LEAVE the loading dock until 4pm and THAT counts as one of the 5 days! So you have an "adjustment evening" there to "settle in" but there goes one day and on the FIFTH day (they say its 5 days) you have to be off the ship by 7am!!! Then I was told that the bands will be playing at different times and sometimes the SAME times in different locations all over the ship. Wahhh! This sounds like a crunch job in just 3 days really and what if you want to see All the bands playing? Yet they are on many different levels all across different locations on the ship at the same time!? Too much stress! I wanna go, I really do: But none of this sounds that fair to people yearning for the memories of those Good (oh how I hate to say it: ol' days). I am sad but I will probably pass on this and I am so disappointed about that. The more expensive rooms are sold out they said though so some some people with money are willing to put up with this really short period of time cruise. But if you really add up to what you pay for to what you REALLY get: it doesn't come out fair. Unless you are emotionally invested in those days (they were the BEST) but mostly, I just can't get into the bands playing at the same time on different sections/areas of the ship. You will miss alot that way! What are we gonna do: RUN to the 9th floor for 20 minutes then RUN to the 2nd Floor for 15 minutes then RUN to the 11th floor for the rest of the allotted time for the band to play? I want to see them all!!! Not fair! Not! Not! Not! So I am gonna pass ;; . So sure! The bands will all be there but NOT for a balanced itinerary so we all can be included to enjoy them. We have to chose which ones to go see and when! I think this may be just a money-makin' opportunistic machine for those on top of this. Sorry, but not at my expense! This girl will be leaving her patchouli oil and bell bottoms packed in her cedar chest. Dang it!!! Wahhh! What ever happened to Old fashioned and Caring Common Sense and the Respect of getting your Moneys Worth so everybody can be happy? Did that go out with the 60's too? I guess so. And then the horror of the possibility: WHAT if you go and all this all turned out to be really Hokey after all with the majority of the musicians being imitators???? Arrgggh!!!

I agree with your thinking. I am getting implored to do this years malt shop cruise [2019] , but i come back to the same place i was about 4 years ago. Been on the eurodam where most of the guests are asleep by 9pm...albeit this is a specialty cruise. been on 35 or more other cruises. Found that Royal caribbean has the best overall entertainment. Carnival used to be ok, but they cut out live music when they cut out the orchestra so now you dont even know if the singers a lip synching.so im done with carnival. what it came down to was it really worth more than a $1000 to see these acts up close if possible and hob knob some for a short period of time. The same cruise on the eurodam without the acts was about $700 for an inside cabin. with the extras on the malt sop cruise its well over $1700 and probably closer to 2k, not counting air, hotel etc. one attendee said well, the acts dont work for free. with $1700 person, plus Holland america must cut something from that for filling up the ship, the producers are getting at least $1000 per person times 2000 passengers , less what they are being charged...at least close to 2 mil, minus the cost of the acts..and these are mostly over the hill performers whose value is primarily nostalgia. You can do a really nice bucket list cruise or 2 for $3400+. and, , where i live there are always 50's -60's doo wop acts in new jersey , baltimore etc ..wildwood nj, has a big 50's weeknd every fall. with live acts, eg bobby rydell [who still has a great voice], chubby checker, frankie avalon etc. and of course , there are the doo-wop shows on public tv. But the drifters? the drifters were basically done once Ben E. King left the group. Jan or dean--never much and certainly no beach boys. But I give the producers credit. the adage behind good marketing is to create a need , then fill it. I'm not that needy. not that anxious to see 60 and 70 year olds in poodle skirts, certainly at the tune of 1000-1400 for a week, nor performers barely hanging on, with a few exceptions. back to nj and baltimore and public tv and sirius xm. so, on to barcelona or rome or copenhagen, or alaska , all again, and to nj and baltimore. let someone else fork over that kind of dough. google your favorite acts and see where they are performing.

The Malt Shop Memories cruise is obviously not for you.  Star Vista charters the Eurodam - Holland America does not 'fill up the ship'.  The entire ship is chartered and Star Vista sells the cabins.

You can't compare a chartered theme cruise to a regularly scheduled cruise on any line.  The Flower Power cruise was on NCL's Pearl when we went.  Again, it's a theme cruise, not sponsored by the cruise line.  If it's all about money and a bunch of 60-70 year olds in poodles skirts, then don't waste your money and let us folks who enjoy the music regardless of the ship and destination, enjoy themselves.  These cruises are all about the music.  We have been on both the Malt Shop Memory cruises and Flower Power and loved every minute.  Apparently juliang has been on neither.  You can't just put down a deposit thru the cruise line, you have to register with the charter company and pay them. They have sold out since they started hosting these cruises 5 years ago.  Sorry if I sound offensive to the previous post but these theme cruises have nothing to do with the cruise line other than they provide the ship and crew. If you don't want to pay the charter price to hear the original artists, do meet and greets and be shoulder to shoulder with great acts from the past, then let someone else who loves the music take your place. I treasure my scrapbooks from these cruises, full of photos, autographs and memorabilia that I would never have gotten any where else.

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1