Newbie to Texas cruising

hlb76

Hi all. I've been reading and taking notes and will go back and read more I'm sure. But I have a fee questions maybe I can get answered off the bat. This will be our first trip to Texas other than a lay over here and there :). I'm hoping to book us on the Jade for this March. Found descent flight from MSP to IAH believe it or not for the time of year. We are looking to get in late 8pm or so. So we are looking for a cheap but descent hotel for one night. Is it best to stay by the airport or venture closer to the port. We are not picky with hotels just like something clean and safe. Breakfast would be nice but not a deal breaker as would food options in walking distance. Having shuttle service would be extra great but not sure if it's too much to ask even better if it was free. But willing to cab or hire a service if need be. Now my biggest issue I'm having right now is not knowing when to book our flights home. Being new to Houston and new NCL I don't know what to expect for disembark. Looks like the airport is 30 - 40 miles away but will it take an hour or 6 to get there? I know times in FLA I can see the airport but stuck in so much traffic it takes forever. Then there is the security lines and such not sure what to measure in for that. But before all that we have to get off the ship. I've been off ships by 8am and been stuck til 12 and almost missing a 330 pm flight from an airport 30 miles away. Any advice I can get I would appreciate. I've tried asking on the NCL board but no response yet.

Glad you tried this group. Sorry the NCL board wasn't much help. Since your flight arrives so late, you are probably better off staying near the airport (IAH) and shuttling to Bayport. Oddly, a Galveston cruise site can give you some information on cruising from Bayport. Your hotel near the airport should have information on getting to the port, too. Come back with more questions if you need!

http://www.galvestoncruisetips.com/transportation-options-to-the-houston-bayport-cruise-terminal/

• 3 weeks later...

Just got finished researching a couple of Marriott properties right near IAH. The first is a full service Marriott that you actually take an underground tram directly from the airport to the hotel. This is a little higher on the price scale.

What I found and maybe great for you is the Springhill Suites on the IAH property as well. They offer a 24 hour free shuttle to and from the airport. They will also take you to the rental car center as that is my need the day after we arrive. They also have a free daily breakfast. Only down side is that it is not close to any other dining options. You could always grab something to eat at the airport before heading over or I'm sure the hotel would have delivery options. Great Trip advisor reviews as well. Hope this works for you.