Few questions for our cruise to St. Petersburg in June.

Oh dear! That's not good. We had no idea. This was one of the main places we wanted to have a look around. So if we do any tour we can be taken from place to place by a guide but then we can't go out at night on our own!? That seems a bit crazy! What's the point in the ship staying in port overnight?

I'm really disappointed! None if this was ever mentioned when we booked the cruise. What a shame :(

Anyone else have any info or ideas?

Hi, Gossyboy!

We did a Baltic Cruise last year, in the very beginning of June. The weather was perfect – rather warm, not too hot. You still need jackets for the evenings. We were told it could be rains but we almost didn’t have any.

When I started booking with one of the local companies it was a big surprise that we can’t walk in the city – I mean St. Petersburg - on our own. It turned over that we had to be accompanied by our guide or at least driver all the time. At that moment I was really disappointed. We finished up with a very individual program. We traveled with a child of 3 so we really needed an individual program. After all we were more than happy with the tours. The itinerary was very flexible and we were able to make some changers just on the place. We booked with the Best Guides.

We decided to DIY other cities – Tallinn , Helsinki, Stockholm. It was really easy. No problems. We enjoyed it a lot!

Jess :)

• 1 year later...
Is it safe to take an IPad mini into the Baltic ports to take pictures? I didn't want to lug around a camera bag and really look like a tourist.

And using an iPad won't make you look like a tourist? IMHO it not only makes you look like a tourist it's an easy mark for Theft

• 5 months later...

We have a similar dilemma. Cruising to Northern Europe in May and expect the weather to be unpredictable so will be packing with the thought of dressing in layers. For us, taking a cruise early in the season with the expectation that there will be fewer crowds, is worth the trade off in the potential weather issues. And since we live in the NW US we are accustomed to rain so I really don't think it will negatively impact our experienc, just makes packing more challenging.

We’ve been on our second Baltic cruise in July. I was told it’s the only month you can be more or less sure in good weather. Almost half of the days were rainy. OK, it was warm but rainy. Not too much but we carried umbrellas all the time. We had 3 days in St. Petersburg port, on our second day we went to Moscow where it was sunny. Both days in St. Petersburg were quite rainy. We enjoyed our cruise a lot despite of the weather. It’s just funny – good weather was the only reason I decided to cruise in July:D.

Hope you will have sunny days in May!

Jess :)